Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thoughts RE: Riff of the Month

What's Hot

Comments

• Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited December 2014
    Yo Peeps!

# Yeah a sticky or seperate section might help, either way I shall spam the next one to high heaven across the forum.

# Agreed let us open the duration of submissions to a max of say 50 seconds, the main reason for keeping a shorter time is to encourage people to submit and also to keep the soundcloud account free for as long as possible before we have to upgrade due to lack of free minutes.

# Yeah we can ask people to offer feedback and see how that goes

# Yeah I don't mind pimping on facebook

# Yep if we get enough people we could start doing sub riff type stuff for sure!
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2083
    Tricky....I have honed my recording setup a bit now, so I will probably enter something each month. I would say there is always a tendency to think that if your entry isn't recorded great , then it may not get votes.....incorrect in my view, I have heard some really good pieces on this forum done with an acoustic and a mic. Personally, I am interested in the studio side of it, so I tend to spend time on production as well. I think posting your setup is always a good idea, I spend hours on YouTube checking out setups to see if I can improve, plus I welcome feedback. In fact I intend to post my typical recording setup soon, I may be able to improve it, or...it may help someone else improve theirs? Either way, I have to commend anyone who operates and monitors a forum like this.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • I would just say that I think splitting into riff genre's would be a mistake. I don;t think we'd get enough entries to make it work. I think gathering them up on a quarterly or yearly basis into genres may work though but that's quite a lot of curating to do.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I would just say that I think splitting into riff genre's would be a mistake. I don;t think we'd get enough entries to make it work. I think gathering them up on a quarterly or yearly basis into genres may work though but that's quite a lot of curating to do.
    Yeah I think your right that we would never have enough people anyway, I don't mind curating them if there are enough to seperate into categories
    Old Is Gold
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27437
    PolarityMan;458058" said:
    I would just say that I think splitting into riff genre's would be a mistake. I don;t think we'd get enough entries to make it work.
    Agreed.  Hopefully we'll manage to raise the profile/awareness and encourage some more entries ... *then* we can worry about the sub-genre compos.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • 10 seconds is long enough for loads of bars of 260bpm death thrash, whatchooallmoanin'bowt?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Seriously, though, 1 minute upper limit is good. @horse makes a good point about normalising.

Anonymous posting would be nice, too - some would be identifiable, but it may encourage more shy folk to enter. Took me a while to be motivated to do it without fear of everyone laughing me out.
    Seriously, though, 1 minute upper limit is good. @horse makes a good point about normalising.

Anonymous posting would be nice, too - some would be identifiable, but it may encourage more shy folk to enter. Took me a while to be motivated to do it without fear of everyone laughing me out.
    Don't see why we couldn't make anonymous entries an option.
  • Hopefully it will pick up in the new year!

Good news is that we have 4.5k of listens on soundcloud!
    Old Is Gold
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    I agree with @randomhandclaps, riffs with no username for voting. Riff1, Riff2 etc.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Seriously, though, 1 minute upper limit is good. @horse makes a good point about normalising.

I didn't think your riffs were that hilarious...so....hope that wasn't what you were going for :D  
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Also would be good if there were some kind of poll module for the voting. I know thats been requested dozens of times in the meta section but might be worth revistiing the discussion.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Unfortunately ... There's no reliable poll plug-in that works with this version of the forum software.

It would make the vote-counting a bit easier, but not possible atm.

:(

I didn't think your riffs were that hilarious...so....hope that wasn't what you were going for :D  
    They were not.  But I'm quite a bad player without drums!

And with.  But worse without, even with a click track. I got a metronome for christmas (an old school wind up one at that!) so hopefulyl I'll get better. 

But I'm a very shy person and I don't play in front of friends either really, although I'm making steps towards changing that and will try to join a choir. 

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    FWIW, the reason I've never taken part in the riff o' the month thing is that I didn't really see what I get out of it, and I didn't want people in other band stealing my riffs.

Egotistical much?? :D
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Ah, you don't want people thieving them? Shit man, you better get me off your Soundcloud.

**deletes Logic project**
  • "Talent borrows, genius steals"
                                                         - Oscar Wilde

;)
  • Drew_fx said:
    FWIW, the reason I've never taken part in the riff o' the month thing is that I didn't really see what I get out of it, and I didn't want people in other band stealing my riffs.

Egotistical much?? :D
    Jeez.  What is it with paranoid newbies thinking we'd be all over their shit? 
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Well if people really think it would help being anonymous then yeah I guess we can do that, it would be nice to reveal the composers on soundcloud after the winner is announced though so people get the proper credit for their work.
    Old Is Gold
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    edited December 2014
    I'm not too sure about the anonymity thing. If we just have a list of "Riff 1", "Riff 2", .. etc it's going to make remembering which one caught your ear quite difficult, I see it taking more listens and effort to make a choice. It seems more like some kind of scientific experiment than listening to music.

I understand that people might feel nervous about 'exposing' themselves musically, so to speak, but that's the same with any public performance. Even the best get nervous (I certainly do). But these 'competitions' have been pretty supportive affairs so far - I don't think anyone has been placing undue importance on 'winning'.

It might just be me but I find the anonymity idea just a bit weird.