Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What makes an audience take note of your band?

What's Hot
MoANjAmMoANjAm Frets: 12
For those people who have never seen you before, but comment after about songs they liked or the fact that you were a good band, what is it that they thought was good? (I'm talking non function bands, non tribute bands here mostly.) I'm assuming that most people on here will always give another band a good listen and the benefit of the doubt (as you've been there yourself) but once you discount the muso's, the partners and the friends - what is it that makes you ' go down well'?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think a lot of people relate to the vocals so, assuming you have vocals, having them as your priority in getting the mix, make sure everything possible is on place for a good vocal performance. Also, it's rock'n'roll ( by which I mean everything from folk rock to Abba via thrash metal) not a conservatoire recital so give it some energy. If you aren't into it don't expect your audience to be.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • In no particular order:
    • stage craft
    • playing tight
    • good vocals
    • the right material
    R.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Not being the same as every other band. I used to work in a rock bar and I swear we had the same bands in every night: tight jeans and impressive haircut, music kinda hardcore but with some traditional metal influences, sorta like Mötley Crüe vibe but more "core". I hated this band.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited December 2014
    Oh wait, I thought you were asking "what makes you personally like a band" not "what makes people like your band, personally".
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    A cover of a very well-known song done in a completely different style to the original.

The lead singer's voice.

A good sound - ie the mix. All the instruments should sound good individually and together, the vocals should be audible and the whole thing not too loud to be able to achieve that.

In my experience, anyway...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404

Assuming we've talking original material it's how accessible the songs are for me  .... despite the fact no ones heard them before. I saw Tax The Heat support The Union and as soon as that band started playing I was blown away by how good the songs were, the fact I liked them straight away despite not knowing the material is a sign of just how strong those songs are. Other bands I've seen have looked the part,  played well, been tight and in tune but that's secondary. 
    From a producing point of view I notice the other stuff but strength of the songs is the most important thing I notice. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Mainly that we do songs that others don't, but every one comments on how tight band sounds and quality of the bands sound compared to how much gear we carry compared to others.
  • I dress as Flea.

• Also, lol at JF having pickup selector issues. :)
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    edited December 2014
    Relate to the audience and engage them as though they are part of the band and yes, this includes the few that are there at sound check. The more you have on board early, the more relaxed the whole thing becomes. No rocket science here, just the basics e.g. eye contact, acknowledge those who applaud, SMILE (remember that one ?), laugh off clams but maintain the impression of professionalism. 

Turn up on time, set up quickly and collectively (yeah, I know the drummer will always be late). Our bass player would them wander around the crowd and ask them what they thought. He didn't give a toss really but it was an opportunity to identify allies and have a good lech. 

In short, try and leave the audience with the feeling that you are their' band. It's amazing how much they will overlook if they are having a really good time. Sometimes it just doesn't come off but most will react to some degree of positive contact.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    A cucumber wrapped in tin foil stuffed down the front of your trousers.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    Enjoy yourself, but also look like you are doing so.

Start tight and look comfortable, the audience decide if they 'like' you in about 30 seconds.

Play songs lots of people like not just a select few.

A good rapport with the audience or more often several chatactures within.

• As a metal band our singing and harmonies I reckon sets us apart from most bands we play with.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Being better than the band before you and louder than the band after you.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Being better than the band before you and louder than the band after you.
    My first band used to support another very popular band. Their lead guitarist once said to me "You're not supporting us again - you're too f__kin' tight!".
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Fuzzdog said:
    Good thinking, don't want cycle hum messing up your sound. This doesn't count as shielding though.

• TinLip said:
    Fuzzdog said:
    Good thinking, don't want cycle hum messing up your sound. This doesn't count as shielding though.
    Or one of your "five a day"!
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    edited January 2015
    in order (imho etc)

good vocals.

repeat - good vocals

good front man/person/stagecraft - be engaging

songs they like played as if we enjoy playing them

adequate musicianship to support the vocals

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    Tearing the roof off everytime that you play
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    I think in one of my old bands it was the lead singers tits !!!

She wasn't my cup of tea, however, she had massive surgically enhanced bazoomers and wore some very skimpy outfits on stage (a few local to me forumites will confirm the same) so that would usually take care of keeping all the male punters glued to watching the stage :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom