Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Critique your own band

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    axisus said:
    Basically we are rubbish. We don't play live. It would be difficult as I play guitar, bass, keyboards and drums for the band. I don't sing. We don't have a singer.

We're rubbish. But we gig, have a giggle, and get paid. And re-booked.

Hire some people.   ;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    edited December 2014
    8 minute songs aren't long enough

17/8 is tedious try to branch out into odd time more

2 songs which are non canonical with the story covered by the rest of our songs is 2 songs too many

We have too many choruses in songs, sometimes more than one occurrence in a single tune

We get to the vocals too quickly, really the audience needs at least 4 mins of instrumental to get the emotional context if what we have to say.

Metal doesn't need great lead vocals with rich harmonies we should really just shave our singers head and get him to grunt gutterally down the mic.

Playing originals has way too much artistic integrity, we should learn mustang Sally for the next gig.

I may have had some port.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l said:

Question: why aren't you in a band yet? I'm curious :)

Anyway, #3's irrelevant when in a band, 'cos it doesn't need to be as perfect as you always think it does at home. #2 would come naturally after playing for a while. #1...can't help you there...

@digitalscream

In order.

The biggest reason I'm not is down to time available.

Depending on what shift I'm doing I'm either out the house at 5am for a 5-30 get home, or I get home at around 7.

Also, with having Crohn's I get chronic fatigue, basically, I'm shattered most of the time..

The Perfect thing, I'm very hard on myself as to getting things right, I don't like to think I'm not as good as the others around me (I'm probably wrong, as I've had other guitarists say "nice playing" when out at jam nights-yet I feel like I'm the least capable guitarist there).

I shall try this year to learn more songs, including solo's.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ahh therapy

Bass player : Stand up at practice, we are not a Jazz band. 
    Other guitar : Turn it down, I know before I even flick my amp on you will be too loud. 
    Drummer : Timing. Dont click in at one speed and start the song at another. 

Me : Be willing to make more mistakes singing. Its the only way to learn

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26570
    edited January 2015
    mike_l said:

The Perfect thing, I'm very hard on myself as to getting things right, I don't like to think I'm not as good as the others around me (I'm probably wrong, as I've had other guitarists say "nice playing" when out at jam nights-yet I feel like I'm the least capable guitarist there).

To be perfectly honest, I feel exactly like that at jam nights; it's not a measure of ability, it's a measure of how comfortable you are blasting licks out on the fly. I, for example, am not. I hate jamming and improvising...I'd much rather plan what I'm playing in advance - the trouble is that my brain automatically does that when I'm improvising, so I'm always thinking about 10 seconds ahead and not concentrating on what I'm playing now.

The end result? Shit. I sound like I first picked a guitar up two weeks ago.
    <space for hire>
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    edited January 2015
    We had a band critique session in the summer. Results so far:
    Singer: quit smoking [tick].  Audience repartee - improving
    Backing vox: improve or leave [tick - she left last week]
    Bass: stop buying gear - how unlikely is that, but at least he only brings one bass?
    Sax: get a tenor - [tick].  Get that alto mended - has to happen because I've repossessed the alto he was borrowing
    Guitar: learn the arrangements, and don't keep changing what you play because other people are cueing off it
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mike_l said:

To be perfectly honest, I feel exactly like that at jam nights; it's not a measure of ability, it's a measure of how comfortable you are blasting licks out on the fly. I, for example, am not. I hate jamming and improvising...I'd much rather plan what I'm playing in advance - the trouble is that my brain automatically does that when I'm improvising, so I'm always thinking about 10 seconds ahead and not concentrating on what I'm playing now.

The end result? Shit. I sound like I first picked a guitar up two weeks ago.
    You've hit the nail right on the head. When I've practised a part, and I know I know the part, then I'm fine, and happy, pulling a solo out unpractised, and I find it really uncomfortable. And despite knowing more than one pentatonic shape, I seem to find myself playing that one pentatonic shape.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l said:
    You've hit the nail right on the head. When I've practised a part, and I know I know the part, then I'm fine, and happy, pulling a solo out unpractised, and I find it really uncomfortable. And despite knowing more than one pentatonic shape, I seem to find myself playing that one pentatonic shape.
    Don't let it get you down. I've been playing for 30 years (and on stage for 15 or 20), and I still can't stand playing like that. I used to think it made me a crap guitarist, but actually it's just a case of personal preference. In a band though, I have the luxury of deciding the context for all my playing, so I simply engineer it so I don't have to.
    <space for hire>
    Yeah, I know exactly what you're saying, and in a situation where I'm playing a part I've rehearsed, even in a jam situation (IE I've not rehearsed with the others playing) I'm fine. Getting told "it's a 12 bar in Am" always makes me reach for the 5th pos Am pentatonic. It seems to be more of a panic of "shit, I don't want to play a wrong note" thing than anything else.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Can you play an encore? Ohh... your songs are too long. I guess you can't!
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    jd0272 said:
    Singer- sing the correct fckn words, to the correct song,  at the correct times.
    Singer- don't miss entire verses.
    Singer- be aware when you come in.
    Singer- be aware when not to come in ie; when there's two bstrd solo's not one.

How do you know when the singer's knocking on your front door?

It's out of time, they've got the wrong key and they don't know when to come in.