Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

School me on Mustangs

What's Hot
Dey luk wel gud init

I'm thinking of partscastering one, using a Guitarbuild body and Warmoth or GSP neck. Matching headstock and maybe trying my hand at a bit of racing striping, too. 

Anything I should know regarding electronics, hardware options etc?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    The stock electronics are a pain the the backside - three switches with nine positions in total but only four sounds, and you need to move both switches to make most changes. A pickup selector and a phase (or some other type) of switch makes far more sense.

The stock trem is a pain too - it *can* work well, but is rather crude and not very adjustable... some combinations of string gauge, bridge height and bar height seem to be OK, others just don't ever seem to settle properly. And the arm falls out unless you modify the fitting. You're probably better off with a Jazzmaster/Jaguar trem and bridge - or a hardtail (which essentially makes it a Duo-Sonic). I would use a Toronado-type bridge if you're going to do that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    I prefer the old ones. The one Steve McQueen had in Bullitt.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I believe Sally to be the most famous of the Mustangs.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    The stock electronics are a pain the the backside - three switches with nine positions in total but only four sounds, and you need to move both switches to make most changes. A pickup selector and a phase (or some other type) of switch makes far more sense.

The stock trem is a pain too - it *can* work well, but is rather crude and not very adjustable... some combinations of string gauge, bridge height and bar height seem to be OK, others just don't ever seem to settle properly. And the arm falls out unless you modify the fitting. You're probably better off with a Jazzmaster/Jaguar trem and bridge - or a hardtail (which essentially makes it a Duo-Sonic). I would use a Toronado-type bridge if you're going to do that.
    Well, that's all rather annoying. 

I might go for a jaguar, then, as I do love the JM style trem and the staytrem bridge is available...
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Gassage;458292" said:
    I prefer the old ones. The one Steve McQueen had in Bullitt.
    Ooh Sir, 390 GT in Highland Green ?
    Rather !

Well, at least until you hit your first wet roundabout..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I looked after 4 pre-CBS Mustangs touring the world for the last 17 months.

I'd use one word to describe them.

Shitemare

Switches are annoyingly placed and useless, pickups are weak, trem is too light and needs locking down and the neck moves if you play it with any force.

To get them into a working, reliable gigging guitar, the only thing left original on the ones I worked with was the neck and the body.

Lightweight which is good but if you are anything other that a lean, 5"6 indie kid, it'll look like a mandolin on you.

IMO Avoid.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • miserneil said:

Shitemare

Switches are annoyingly placed and useless, pickups are weak, trem is too light and needs locking down and the neck moves if you play it with any force.

To get them into a working, reliable gigging guitar, the only thing left original on the ones I worked with was the neck and the body.

Lightweight which is good but if you are anything other that a lean, 5"6 indie kid, it'll look like a mandolin on you.

IMO Avoid.
    I'm 5"4. 

But yes, I get your point ;) would you say the same about Jags? 

I fancy some short scale fun, I have small hands and I'm seeing some really interesting chords here but I actually can't reach them on a 25.5" neck.  I tried a Mustang and I could. Just. :)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    ThePrettyDamned;458310" said:
    miserneil said:

Shitemare

IMO Avoid.

I'm 5"4. 

I fancy some short scale fun, I have small hands and I'm seeing some really interesting chords here but I actually can't reach them on a 25.5" neck.  I tried a Mustang and I could. Just. :)
    Funnily enough, I was just going to add, we also had a '65 Jag on that tour and, bar swapping out the original bridge for a Mastery, it needed nothing but the odd truss rod tweak - mainly due to over zealous baggage handlers - and that was it.

:-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Sweet, maybe I'll do a Jag then.

Or I might see if I can find a duo sonic body.  They don't seem common, though, and a warmoth mustang with toronado bridge is still $175...
  • I had a 65 mustang as my touring guitar for years. Loved it. Beautiful neck. Did disconnect the switches though once set on my preferred combination, as they are stupidly placed. Trem was always pretty good on mine. I moved it on, but only in favour of a jaguar. The latter is certainly better, but I'd say the Mustang I had was probably second only to that in my long guitar history. Have never been very impressed with the reissues.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    miserneil said:

Shitemare

IMO Avoid.

I'm 5"4. 

I'll give you some fucking short scale fun.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have never played a mustang that I have liked. Pickups are weak and horrible. The switching system is meh and the vibrato pants. 

If you want 24" Fender fun go for a Jaguar. They are just much better guitars
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • There is a Bronco with a TV Jones in the classifieds (with stock stuff as well) which is all kinds of wrong and all kinds of right. Also a squier CV Mustang for a laughable £120.
    I liked my old 76 Mustang but it was an awful lot of money locked in a guitar that had a lot of bad settings (and a few cracking ones).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    I would say they're the most variable Fender actually. I've owned three - a sunburst '77 which was a toneless overweight plank, a red '65 which was really genuinely good (stupidly sold in my short-scale clear-out), and a '72 blue Competition which was OK but not as good as the '65.

Of all the others I've played about a quarter were great and maybe half were crap. Like GavHaus I don't like the reissues either, I've never played one that didn't sound thin.

Jaguars do have a much higher proportion of good ones, and the reissues are much better, but if you want a Mustang then a Jag is really not the same thing... totally different sound and vibe.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    I would say they're the most variable Fender actually. I've owned three - a sunburst '77 which was a toneless overweight plank, a red '65 which was really genuinely good (stupidly sold in my short-scale clear-out), and a '72 blue Competition which was OK but not as good as the '65.

Of all the others I've played about a quarter were great and maybe half were crap. Like GavHaus I don't like the reissues either, I've never played one that didn't sound thin.

Jaguars do have a much higher proportion of good ones, and the reissues are much better, but if you want a Mustang then a Jag is really not the same thing... totally different sound and vibe.
    Okay, I'll not lie to you.

I *basically* want a two pickup, short scale strat.

Okay, a slightly pokier sound would be nice compared to my current strat with OCP hybrids wound quite vintage, but other than that, a two pickup strat. 

The Duo Sonic appeals a bit. 

And I want to put it together myself so I can say I did and get a huge fucking ego ride. :)

Loobs said:
    miserneil said:

Shitemare

IMO Avoid.

I'm 5"4. 

I'll give you some fucking short scale fun.
    GIVE ME YOUR NUMBER NOW. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    edited December 2014
    Mine, back in about 2007 or 2008 I think.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff193/guitarsforminnaars/Mobile Uploads/5E356660-A485-4C59-B935-6B022E9FE73D.jpg

it was ever so slightly worn on the back! A refin obviously, but done billions of years ago. All checked and blistered.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff193/guitarsforminnaars/public/backguit.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • always wanted a 'stang. have fancied the pawn shop special job with the twin humbuckers and hardtail. not really a mustang but it looks like one (in some ways)
  • @gavhaus mega handsome.  The guitar ain't bad either. 

Nice looking guitars, they ooze 'cool'.  I might try spraying nitro for the first time on this, but if not I'll do a conch shell or teal coloured wudtone one. 

Hmm. I guess I could lock the bridge, but that seems such a shame! It is, at least, a nice looking bridge. 
  • As I say, I liked the bridge and trem on mine. Depending on budget, might be worth scouring Reverb.com for a vintage unit?
  • GavHaus said:
    As I say, I liked the bridge and trem on mine. Depending on budget, might be worth scouring Reverb.com for a vintage unit?
    Nah, I'd rather put it together myself.  I've only played three mustangs, two japanese (which were okay guitars, but tuning stability non existant) and one vintage model which felt like a boat anchor.  Honestly, it was like a les paul! And I don't mind heavy...

I figure that, if I put it together myself, I can get a body that's a wee bit lighter and take the risk out. :)