More clank

Ive got a passive bass, with someone ild string. I basically jsut use this for demo'ing up songs.

What Ive noticed is that the bass tone is quite round and mellow, where I'd prefer somthing more aggressive and clanky? How can I bring out more clank on the bass? I assume new strings are a good start? 

What about dialling more in on the amp sims? Im using amplitube 3 mostly.
ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I always found Rotosound strings pretty clanky. You could try upping the hi-mids in the EQ.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    If you're into modding things you can make a simple change to the tone circuit in the bass which will give it much more 'clank', a bit like a vintage Rickenbacker - they have a bass-cut cap in line with the bridge pickup. You can fit the cap so that the tone control bypasses it for when you don't want it, or you can put a switch (push-pull or otherwise) in to select it, if you still want a standard tone control too.

But definitely start with new strings if the ones you have are old. Rotosounds are certainly bright and clanky when they're new, but they can die quite quickly. I actually found the cheap 'Roto Bass' ones better than the more expensive 'Swing Bass' which are the classic Rotos - they're not quite as aggressive when they're brand new but they last much longer for some reason!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The bass is dead cheap so im all for having a bash at modding it.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    OK... I'll try to describe it without drawing a diagram :).

You will need a new tone cap, of roughly 1/10th of the value of the normal one, ie .0047uF if the normal tone cap is 0.047uF which is a fairly standard value. Connect the new cap in series between the pickup and the volume control - ie undo the pickup wire from the volume pot terminal, and solder the cap between the wire and the terminal. (Insulate the connection between the wire and the cap so it won't short.)

Try that first - if it gives you the sort of sound you want, you can find ways of making it controllable, if you want to! You will find a loss of volume and 'body', so you may not want it all the time - although depending on the pickup it might not be too serious.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    You might be able to solve your issue without changing anything to do with the bass. 

If you want a clanky sound try playing finger style but bash the strings into the frets to make it growl. 

There is a sample of what I mean on one of the Bass Tone articles I wrote for EET. 

• I was going to say try hitting it harder....
  • I know about hitting it harder :)

Anyway new rotosound swing bass strings are now on, certainly acoustically it sounds much better but will have a bash through the ampsims tonight as off to oxford to see in-laws.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ