I need a loooong drill bit

What's Hot
To drill the tremolo claw screws on this bloody Strat body.

Really don't want to buy one to drill two holes but appreciate that loaning out tools, particularly one that would be so easily blunted or snapped is a big ask..

So, any intel as to cheap alternatives etc greatly appreciated
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    Tbh, the postage there & back would probably be more than buying a cheapy eBayBit ?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

What diameter?

Two options: Bit of (say) 3mm BMSteel rod. Get red hot on gas torch flame and bash the end out to 4x4mm.

File to a 90dgr point then file "cutting" faces on either side. Start the job with a proper drill then use the bosher.

2) Get someone with welding gear to butt weld a bit of rod to the arse end of a drill bit. (I used to Silver solder bits together to make special tools)

Dave.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    I use one of the snappy drill bits in one of the long (30cm) extension sockets that go in the battery drill 
    To be fair I do have the long reach drills too.

One of the downsides of your move North is the lack of proximity to me....

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24263
    Que ?  Trem claw screws....  for the plate that holds the trem springs ?  Why do you need a long bit ?  The screws don't go in more than an inch.  ...or have I got the wrong end of the stick here ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited December 2014
    You need to drill the holes at a very shallow angle, meaning that a long bit is required.

I use a 160mm long 3mm bit I bought from Cromwell.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I've done the job well in the past with an ordinary hand drill and bit, by removing the side handle - as described here - just in case of any use.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    Thanks all for taking the time to respond ! I think I must have been having a bit of a moment... For some reason I had it in my head that these long drill bits were absurdly expensive. Actually I'd imagine that top quality ones probably are but a cursory browse of evil bay reveals that I can secure an item that will do the job (I hope) for a couple of quid so that's good news. One final question if you don't mind ? I've had the callipers out and it would appear that the trem claw screws are 4mm dia to the outside of the threaded part and 3mm dia on the inner shaft so would that suggest a 3mm drill bit ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Based on that, a 3mm bit is fine.

I'm redoing mine when I next restring to get a few mm more depth to each hole. I'd send you a bit but I only have the one - it's sole purpose is for drilling claw holes!

I'm scared of ruining the finish though. GODDAMMIT.