NGD: 1959 Gibson DC Junior

What's Hot
IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
edited February 2015 in Guitar tFB Trader
Picked up this road warrior over Christmas.

A Gibson DC Junior. Due to the guitar being stripped and clear coated in nitro a long time ago the serial number is gone but all dimensions check out to it being a 1959 and due to the absence of any cherry pore filler i'm 99% sure it was a TV Model.

It's had some SERIOUS playing hours logged on it and it's not a surprise, it plays amazingly. I've always been a bit "whatever" about the Old Wood thing but, if this guitar is anything to go by, i'm converted, it rings for days and the whole thing literally vibrates in the hand. It's almost as loud as my 335 unplugged!

It's certainly not a collectors piece....but in the main, the Body, Neck, P90, Pickguard, wiring & bumblebee cap are original and it sounds stellar!

The previous owner purchased it a few years ago from Leeds Guitar Show, anyone recognise it?

I'm not sure if I should keep it as is or restore it? Thoughts?

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
(formerly miserneil)
0reaction image LOL 17reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Keep it as it is. Anything you do to it will only make it sound less fantastic.

Although personally I would get rid of those awful tuners and put something lighter and more correct appearance-wise on it. (But be careful, because even this could change the sound.) At the very least get some nicer small rounded keys for them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Love it.

Its very pale, almost looks korina ish... But I suspect you are right that it was tv yellow originally
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice, crank it up and let it sing.
  • Leave it as it is, it's a proper relic guitar, and looks all the better for it. 
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Leave it, looks great as it is. It LOOKS like it sounds good and that's very important!
  • That is drop dead gorgeous.I'd change the tuners,that's all it needs to be perfect.
    P.M. me if you decide to let it go.
    I might be able to sell my liver..
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Keep it as it is. Anything you do to it will only make it sound less fantastic.

Although personally I would get rid of those awful tuners and put something lighter and more correct appearance-wise on it. (But be careful, because even this could change the sound.) At the very least get some nicer small rounded keys for them.
    @ICBM Yes, those God Awful Schallers - a classic 70's mod! I'm tone between a set of conversion bushes and a nice aged set of Klusons with white buttons (as original) or a nice set of Grover kidney buttons, my personal favourite. Jury is out currently.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I'd keep it 'as is' - except the tuners.

That is a really fantastic looking guitar. Congratulations.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Fantastic looking guitar.  Great GAS.  I'm with @ICBM and others, I'd leave it as is but get rid of those Schaller tuners, they spoil the look / dimension of the late 50's narrow headstock.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I hope it'll be getting gigged that man?

Nice. :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    edited January 2015 tFB Trader
    Thanks chaps, totally agree with you all regarding the Schallers. They are coming off as soon as I can decide what I want to replace them with. I personally hate them, I think they are the ugliest tuners ever made, god only knows why they adorn so many modified  vintage guitars - were they the only retrofit option 'back in the day'?? (and I hate that phrase too!) ;-)

@jd0272 Too bloody right it is! :-)
    (formerly miserneil)
    miserneil said:

@ICBM Yes, those God Awful Schallers - a classic 70's mod! I'm tone between a set of conversion bushes and a nice aged set of Klusons with white buttons (as original) or a nice set of Grover kidney buttons, my personal favourite. Jury is out currently.
    I would go for either Grovers with small kidney buttons (full size ones are still too heavy), or the current Gibson 'Kluson' type made by either Grover or Schaller with oval white buttons and the threaded bushing.

I don't like conversion bushings, they still don't look right and once the headstock has been bored out you really need to keep the threaded bushings, for the best rigidity and tuning stability.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Magnificent!
  • Also, put this in the cool wall. 

Somewhere in the freezer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ThePrettyDamned said:
    Also, put this in the cool wall. 

Somewhere in the freezer. 
    At the South Pole.

On Mars.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    And not a word of thanks, charming ;)

Enjoy it Neil, looks a nice bit of history.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

tFB Trader
    shugz said:
    And not a word of thanks, charming ;)

Enjoy it Neil, looks a nice bit of history.

Cheers
    Hugh
    Haha! Sorry mate, got over excited! ;-)

Yes folks, it was all Hugh's fault that my little boy had a lump of coal and a tangerine for Christmas...but he'll understand...eventually!
    (formerly miserneil)
  • When its his.
  • Hugh, was it you that had the Park and 68 GT?
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10267
    Bloody lovely.I'm well jealous.
    Laugh, love, live, learn.