Reamping: Revalver, Bias, Guitar Rig, GTR?

monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
edited January 2015 in Studio & Recording tFB Trader
I've just recorded some overdubs for a demo I'm working on and I've got them as amp signal, but also as dry guitar signal with the idea that I might reamp them. 

My plan was to reamp through my actual amplifier, but I'm interested in the idea of doing it via software.

If I were to do this through my DAW what plugins are available that would let me do this?

I've heard that the free version of Torpedo is very good.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    Moved to studio and recording. 

Is the consensus that Bias is the best thing around at the moment?

• GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Torpedo blows a lot out of the water for sure.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    Torpedo blows a lot out of the water for sure.
    I see what you did there.
  • rprrpr Frets: 309
    Here's a useful resource for free VST plug ins-I've linked to the amp pages.-http://www.vst4free.com/index.php?plug-ins=Guitar/Amp-
    there's everything from fender cleans to hi gain monsters, also some effects that may be useful.

I found this one useful for general purpose;

Try not to go mental and download loads cos it can slow things down quite a bit.

If you haven't already, try using the Automated Envelop function,it does help stop tour tracks from sounding too static.
    tFB Trader
    Edit I've realised that most of the plugins are only $99 anyway which isn't silly money so I think I'm most interested in knowing which is the best and easiest for low gain sounds.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404

Try re amping into a real amp. There's something about actually moving some air and capturing it back through an actual mic. Last week I had a producer re amp several songs through a Boogie Mk5 and a Fender Blues Deville and the results pissed all over his cab impulses. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    tFB Trader
    Danny1969 said:

Try re amping into a real amp. There's something about actually moving some air and capturing it back through an actual mic. Last week I had a producer re amp several songs through a Boogie Mk5 and a Fender Blues Deville and the results pissed all over his cab impulses. 
    I'd like to, but I'm doing it in my house while the kids are asleep in odd half hours so it needs to be quick and quiet.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

A re-amping rig can be very simple.

A 10k Ohm log (or so) potentiometer and the necessary leads from the AI/desk to the amp. Make the cable FROM  pot wiper to amp fairly short, 2mtrs or so max. Arrange a switch to break the screen from source to amp to avoid hum loops, tho' you might not need it.

If you want to have a go, tell me and I will post a diagram.

Dave.

tFB Trader
    Update:

I tried Vintage Amp Room, but I don't have a key thingy so it didn't work. 
    I also tried Revalver, which was quite good. 

Finally had a go with Bias which has blown my mind. It sounds amazing. The best modelling I've heard. I know what I'll be using!
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I have Revalver Mk V I think it is from memory. Apparently the latest version isn't as good, but I love the one that I have. Sounds like you've tried it already, but I think the free download allows most functionality without the ability to save settings.

Out of all of the main plugins - Amplitube, GigRig etc, I find Revalver to be the best. Couple it with impulses such as Recabinet and its hard to beat IMO
    tFB Trader
    @drew_fx recommended Scufham which I now think I might like even more. 

Agh my head might explode!
  • Scuffham is the best I've used and is on the list to buy when I'm back working properly. Bought and sold Amplitube, never liked it and the interface is fiddly. AT the minute I'm using Torpedo and it does make a huge difference to the sound. 

tFB Trader
    Scuffham is the best I've used and is on the list to buy when I'm back working properly. Bought and sold Amplitube, never liked it and the interface is fiddly. AT the minute I'm using Torpedo and it does make a huge difference to the sound. 
    Have you tried Torpedo with Scuffham?

I've had a quick go, but I'm not sure if it's really an improvement to Scuffham's Pro Convolver.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited January 2015

I have Guitar Rig 3, Amplitube 3, Revalver 3,  Scuffham S-Gear and the stuff bundled with Logic Pro X.

IMO S-Gear is by far the best of all of these, especially for low gain and it is pretty cheap. New updates in Jan too apparently.