P90 for Telecaster pickup recommendations

What's Hot
I'm starting a new build project and am going to do a thinline telecaster with a P90 neck pickup and a traditional Tele bridge pickup. 

I'm aware that the ouputs tend to be different on these pickup types so wondering if anyone can recommend 2 pickups that would work well together?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    edited January 2015
    I have an Oil City Mighty Ninety which balances beautifully with the Broadcaster in my Baja. It's actually a humbucker sized p90.

Yes the p90 has more poke but by tweaking the heights you can address this issue.
  • I love the sound of the Seymor Duncan SP90-1n thats in my Pacifica. Can only imagine it would sound even better in a telecaster. Lots of width but no mud and it responds well to drives.
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    That's a great idea putting a P90 into a tele, I've always thought the tele thinline with a humbucker was somehow sacrilegious. Think I'll try this too. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802

I have the Jim atkins thinline tele with Seymour Duncan p90s, bought on a whim after PXing some other stuff and it's become my goto guitar.

P90 + Thin line tele for the win :)

• I have a P90-equipped Tele build by @steverobinson (The Manchester Guitar Tech). It has Wizard pickups (http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/) and they are tappable so I can get a traditional P90 sound and then take out few winds to get a clearer thinner sound when I want it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrahamMGrahamM Frets: 34
    How about a Mojo moustache P90 at the neck with matched tele bridge? IMO the similar sizes give the guitar a more balanced look than using a full size P90.Tone-wise I'd describe the 'tache90 as somewhere between a traditional P90 and a tele neck pup.

Different guitar and pickup combo reversed but you get the idea.

• Bungle1Bungle1 Frets: 133
    My other tele has 2 Seymour Duncan P Rails and I almost always have them on the P90 setting. Cheers for the recommendations, this might be harder than I thought to come up with a plan of which 2 to use!!
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    One of my Tele builds has a Mojo P90 neck and Oil City Wapping Wharf bridge. The bridge pickup is coil tapped and I also have it wired for pickups in parallel or series. A great combination and I can certainly recommend Oil City pickups; I've got sets in 5 of my guitars, all different and all great.