Cutting nuts, Stewmac, etc

What's Hot
As I've been dabbling in partscasters and swapping necks out I can see myself needing a few nuts cutting in the next year or so. At £40 a pop I've been mulling over the idea of buying one of those Stewmac nut cutting kits and learning how to do it myself.

I'm a total novice so looking for views - is it very difficult to do and is the stewmac kit worth it, is it mind numbingly boring and hard work (as opposed to the cathartic satisfying experience I'm thinking it could be...). Any views welcomed!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think it is a relaxing pass time. After all, bone nut blanks are not very expensive so you can afford to screw up a few times. I started off using a junior hacksaw blade that was ground thinner so a stewmac set is relatively very posh. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27433
    IIRC @WezV did a handy tutorial on nut cutting in his kit build thread.

I don't think it's difficult to do, as long as you're careful and slow in the work.  If you rush it, that's when you'll cut too deeply and need to start over.

Once done, it's a satisfying part of the set-up process, and a handy skill to have.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16655
    nah, i didn't really cover the proper way of doing it in that - just played with a homebrew method of making improvised nut files.

it really is worth buying the proper thing if you have a few to do.   its pretty easy, the biggest risk is going a bit too far so take it slow, get some baking powder and superglue ... or buy spare blanks
  • For that money, I'm considering getting a nut cutting set, too. I think that's a very useful skill to have, especially now I know just how shite a badly cut nut can be...

¬_¬
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom