UK Builder - strat body

What's Hot

I would like to buy a 60's period correct hard tail strat body. I could jump onto Warmoth or MJT and grab one easy, but I'm keen to buy from UK people who make the bodies in the UK, rather than import and sell bodies.

I know there are few builders on here who do their own thing and are not really interested in copying main builders works, but I also know there are some people who love making this stuff.

Who is the goto UK guys (again must stress UK built rather than UK sold) Fender bodies guys ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think guitar build on ebay do hard tail strats.

They use alder, swamp ash and pine as woods, and you can custom order for the nicest grain and best weight if you want. I snagged a very light pine strat body from them.

They're an eBay store primarily.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

yes, found their website already, I was going to use alder but swap ash would be quite nice too.

Mailed them to confirm that their work is infact made in the UK.

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Guitarbuild definitely do make their own stuff in the UK (near Lincoln in fact). I while back I made a strat using one of their '62 strat replica bodies - a) it was great, and b) I'm sure they'd do a hardtail if asked. Phil the owner even sent me a pic of my body next to the original '62 one he took the dimensions from:

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Hi
    I may be wrong on this but I think if you want the authentic 50's/60's stuff Guitar Build has scanned and CNC'd you need to order specifically from their website. The cheaper stuff they do through ebay is very good but more generic Strat,I have done at least a 1/2 dozen strats for friends and one for me over the last couple of years and currently have a pinecaster in the works to see what they sound like.

I might be wrong about this but this was the impression I got from speaking to Phil, for me the Ebay ones are really good value and you can get some really nice lightweight Swampash or Alder bodies for not silly money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hi
    I may be wrong on this but I think if you want the authentic 50's/60's stuff Guitar Build has scanned and CNC'd you need to order specifically from their website. The cheaper stuff they do through ebay is very good but more generic Strat,I have done at least a 1/2 dozen strats for friends and one for me over the last couple of years and currently have a pinecaster in the works to see what they sound like.

I might be wrong about this but this was the impression I got from speaking to Phil, for me the Ebay ones are really good value and you can get some really nice lightweight Swampash or Alder bodies for not silly money.
    No, I think you're right on that - if you want the vintage spec bodies, it's a case of going via the website.
  • Megii said:
    Hi

No, I think you're right on that - if you want the vintage spec bodies, it's a case of going via the website.
    Mine looked exactly like the example above I think.
    My walnut strat build used one of their more modern standard dimension bodies - the differences are fairly subtle tbh - the forearm contour on the 62 extends a bit further over the body, and is more of a gradual curve, with no obvious line where it starts. Also the belly contour is a bit deeper. Also very subtle differences to do with the routing dimensions, and the outline shape, but it's not at all obvious if you look at both guitars side by side. Phil told me mine was the first '62 spec body off the "production line", hence why I got the picture I think. They do a 50s spec body now as well I notice. Whatever the spec, it's all excellent stuff though. :)
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

Glowing recommendations, and I got an email back from them this morning confirming most of what's said above, looks like they may be a good business to give my support to.

thank you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fabulous, glad you're sorted mate :)

@megii thanks for clarification, devil in the details. Mine is regular.
    Fabulous, glad you're sorted mate :)

@megii thanks for clarification, devil in the details. Mine is regular.
    When I first got my walnut body, I thought it was a 62 style as well, until Phil put me right - so that does show how close they are.