Tokai LP Custom 2003, price estimation?

What's Hot
Hi all, just looking for some info. I have a 2003 Tokai ivory white Les Paul Custom copy. (0308841)

Thinking of moving it on. It sounds and plays very week, but it's darn heavy.

I swapped a tribute SG with P90s for this guitar a while back, so I'm not too sure how much these would be going for?

Can anyone give me a ball park figure. Seems to be a lot of Chinese new ones on ebay, but haven't come across an 03 one yet to gauge a rough price...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Where is it made?
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427

If its Japanese made its worth a lot more than a Chinese one , clue......

it will say "Made in Japan" on the back of the headstock.

Then check ebay and see how much they are selling for.

If it's Japanese I'd say it's worth £45 and I suppose I'll take it off your hands.....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ;)
  • Sorry, yes, made in Japan. :/
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited January 2015
    Gah, I should have done more research instead of making a fool out of myself! :)

It's bloody heavy, so thinking of going for a blacktop strat or Jaguar (a Jazzmaster being my favourite axe, which I currently have)

Am I crazy!?!

I'm in Ireland, but might stick it up for sale here too ;)
    No fool at all dude. Always good to check for info here.

Put some pics up when you do mate.  :-) 
  • Yeah, will do. I notice I have pain in the left shoulder and lower back the odd time after a gig. 
    I would have a dicky back at the best of times, and while a guitar might not be the main contributor, perhaps something lighter might be best in the long run!
    Now I know why Mark Knopfler sits down playing his LP!
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Yeah, will do. I notice I have pain in the left shoulder and lower back the odd time after a gig. 
    I would have a dicky back at the best of times, and while a guitar might not be the main contributor, perhaps something lighter might be best in the long run!
    Now I know why Mark Knopfler sits down playing his LP!
    ^^^^^^^^^

That bit's 'cause yer a soft shite. Man up.

;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • True. :( I was never an LP owner, but pulled the trigger recently with the intention of adding a bigsby to it, but in two minds. :/

It sounds bloody great though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Give the guitar a chance then. You've only had it 5 minutes. Gig it for 6 months first.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Yeah, I've had it for about six months, but won't be hasty with my decision...
  • My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Offset gas.. :(
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edit: I had already typed the Jap stuff, so I'll leave in.

An 03 serial should mean Japanese made, and may have Japan on the rear of the headstock.  Is it an open book headstock or does it have the "nipple" in the middle (i.e. made for the UK market) ?

Other give-aways for Japanese made are the two screw truss rod cover, and Gibson size bridge posts where they show at the front, rather than the Epi style slotted larger ones used on Korean and Chinese manufactured guitars, including Tokai.  (K & C TRCs use 3 screws)

Obviously price will depend on condition, case etc.
    What weight is it, as that may weigh against it for resale  (sorry, bad pun ;)
    Also depends on what folks are prepared to spend.

I was keeping an eye on one on Gumtree which was on there for a year at £650, great condition with HC, I don't know what it finally went for recently, but probably a fair bit less.  I would guess between 5 and 6 hundred, but check evilBay sales history, and bear in mind their charges. The one at £795 is unlikely to get much interest IMO, but asking prices have definitely risen recently on all brands, for some reason people think this recession is over, misguided belief IMHO.  HTH.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pretty sure it's Jap. I'll post up pics tomorrow, It has the two screw truss rod, but no "made in Japan", which from what I saw in that link above, would be accurate for the year.

I'm not sure of the weight, I'll have to weigh it! Heavier than what I am used to though.

I would have thought £795 was pretty high. I pretty much stuck £50 + a Gibson 2011 SG tribute with P90s to trade for it.

I suppose, I don't want to undersell myself or overprice myself.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    I have two 2003 Tokais, one with open book and one with the UK headstock, neither have made in Japan on them, but then there seems to be some variability with Tokai (and some other brands) about what they actually do.  It is also very hard to identify Tokai models, but at least a white custom makes it easy, if it has a rosewood board then its even easier, and an ebony board on the higher priced one.  Model numbers change with inflation as they are selling price in ¥en, which is confusing.  Very nice guitars these.

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    I had one I sold for 500 or so