Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How much longer can pedal makers keep on churning out "new" pedals?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    edited September 2013
    What does it do? It looks a bit schizophrenic - it has a cheerful little monkey playing guitar in a sort of Herman's Hermits pose, but it has no controls - implying that whatever it does is UP FULL the whole time, and it's called an Abominiser, which is one of the most evil names I've ever seen on a pedal :). And three jacks... since I can't see where there would be room for a fourth... hmmm...

Ring modulator with external input?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I have one - lthough it is both a different shape and a different colour.

It's an AB box :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28032
    Drew_fx said:
    That's not a relic. That's a monkey playing guitar in space.
    It's from when I sprayed my pedals in the loft of my flat - it was a bit dusty up there and inevitably dust would get stuck in the paint, then I'd try to sand it carefully off and go straight through the paint, so I decided to make it a feature and described them as "pre-relicced".
    ICBM said:
    What does it do? It looks a bit schizophrenic - it has a cheerful little monkey playing guitar in a sort of Herman's Hermits pose, but it has no controls - implying that whatever it does is UP FULL the whole time, and it's called an Abominiser, which is one of the most evil names I've ever seen on a pedal :). And three jacks... since I can't see where there would be room for a fourth... hmmm...

Ring modulator with external input?
    As Lix says, it's an AB - there's a DC jack on one of the sides you can't see. Not as fiddly to build as they look, but there's very little wiggle room.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • And I so wanted that to be a ring-mod, would have suited what is a great name  -  "the Abominiser".

Oh :).

Disappointed. Something called that should at the very least produce screaming sonic mayhem even if it doesn't set fire to the stage and sacrifice virgins.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

The LED could dazzle you if you're not careful. That do?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    Lixarto said:
    The LED could dazzle you if you're not careful. That do?
    It's not exactly abominable. Might give you a nasty coloured spot in your eye if you stare at it too long but it's hardly going to bite your head off, now is it?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That I must concede.
  • I was thinking more Boss / DOD / MXR pedals with chips out the paintwork and dirty knobs...

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    But it's an ABominiser! The clue's in the name.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    stonevibe;45125" said:
    I was thinking more Boss / DOD / MXR pedals with chips out the paintwork and dirty knobs...
    i have some of those, but with natural wear...

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• The WMD Geiger Counter was another FX that was pretty unique with the selectable wave tables and everything.

Although not unique I think the G-Lab pedals are revolutionary in the sense they get everything right - high quality fx in tank like enclosures, decent silent footswitches, well thought out and implemented MIDI (on those that have it), true bypass and buffered modes, back lit labels and knobs (on the delay), tons of flexibility and all at a reasonable price.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I don't really get this thread at all. If you want new pedals check out EHX:

http://www.ehx.com/products/45000 - Looper like a recording studio.
    http://www.ehx.com/products/stereo-polyphase - Lfo BASED phaser
    http://www.ehx.com/products/8-step-program - 8 step sequenceed effect.
    http://www.ehx.com/products/8-step-program - truly new wah design.
    http://www.ehx.com/products/epitome - a different take on multi-effects.
    http://www.ehx.com/products/hog2 - harmonic octave generator.
    http://www.ehx.com/products/micro-pog - another one of them
    http://www.ehx.com/products/q-tron-plus - envelope follower with a send and return.
    http://www.ehx.com/products/stereo-memory-man-with-hazarai - reverser, looper, chorus, flange, delay

If you want new pedals that do stuff that pedals have always done (which most guitarists do - and I'm not judging anyone for that - there are some great sounds to be had) ... anyway, I digress: if you want "new" pedals that do the same old stuff don't shame the pedal makers for for giving you what you wanted.

If you want new effects start tweeting about the studio plugins and vsts you really love using in wacky combinations. Where do ya think compression, reversing, flanging and phasing came from? That's right the studio and ingenious sound engineers not guitarist grunts ... except for Les Paul and Robert Fripp ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    There was that open source pedal that no-one bought. Including me. All sorts of possibilities there.
  • As far as an addition to the distortion/modulation/delay/tuner set-up, the Digitech Whammy pedal is the only one that consistently turns up on pedalboards. But pedal-makers have got to keep trying, otherwise we might as well all just pack up and go home (and build clones!).
    EHX are certainly trying to have that kind of major impact... A lot of shots-on-goal.
    And - yes - have a look at www.raingerfx.com for another attempt (mine!)...  side-chaining/ducking pedals, pressure pad controllers, white noise synth pedals...
    (I had to say!)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz;44534" said:
    Some pretty good digital post production effects - auto tune, the thing that allows you to change pitch of somthing without altering the speed, etc.

i want to use ring mod more but the g system hasn't got it. Is there a good pedal?
    the ring mod on the g3 is pretty good, you can try mine if you'd like.
    Are there any pedals i'd replace with the same model, rather than a new/different one if the lot got nicked? Yep, but theres ones i'd change.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)