DIY plywood pedal board

What's Hot
LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
edited January 2015 in Making & Modding
Here's my newly finished pedal board I completed it over the Christmas holiday. It's not very flexible (only for home use so doesn't matter)  but it does look tidy with all the cables out of sight and there space for a few more purchases. 
18mm birch ply I already had, along with an old bike chain to secure the pedals. I'm really pleased with how it's turned out, it's great fun to use. The gap allows the blue lights to shine though, bit naff but looks good in gloomy light. I just need to sort an amp style handle on the back to pick it up easily.

3rd socket is for the amp's foot switch. 

Spare socket for another power supply if I need one later. I used some old right angle Meccano brackets to hold the PSU upside down.

Only thing left to decide is whether or not to paint it black...
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Very smart. And you should! :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Excellent work indeed. And yes I agree with Gagaryn and The Rolling Stones: Paint It Black!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Looks fine. Paint It Not.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1791
    What are the jacks that you've used on the side of the board?  Look like a great option
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited January 2015
    They're these http://www.soundexposure.com/store/Neutrik-NJ3FP6CBAG.html?gclid=CKmk7_ju-MICFabLtAodfWQAHw There's several types, with different matrials and contacts. Shop around, i didnt get them from the above link. You'll need to drill a 24mm hole to fit them.
  • Thanks for the comments chaps, id like it painted black, the mrs says leave it as is....
    Nice one, cheers. Does the red bit latch the cable in?
    edited January 2015
    Yes, they're locking. You push the red bit in to release

The 2 black ones i have, have gold contacts. The silver one has standard contacts as its for the foot switch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ah, excellent.  They sound perfect
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Good work, perfect for home use.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9576
    Very nice indeed - I love the locking sockets and the power switch. Tidy.

Paint it black, then figure out some some fibre optic scheme to bring those blue LED lights out from underneath!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rprrpr Frets: 309
    Love the top mounted on/off switch... nice
    I'd consider veneering it,possibly staining it, couple o' coats of varnish...very posh.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited January 2015
    That is ace, really like the sockets -- they'll be going onto my DIY Gorm board ASAP.  I might even do the subglow LEDs too because they'll be visible on mine and with a stage full of smoke and haze that's going to look amazing.

And it should definitely be black.  EDIT just seen it's currently for home use so fair enough, doesn't have to black unless you're going to go on stage.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    I like the way you've got the patch cables disappearing into the wood, great job and an excellent project.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited January 2015

Also like the neatness of it.

You could totally fill the screw recesses, round over the edges and do a camouflage tolex wrap and drill some more holes or rout some vents to let some more blue light through.

No hang on...I know...round over the edges, cut out a bevelled rectangle around the side jacks and then mount them on an inner glued recessed piece for max foot protection and style and then some bookmatched Burr Walnut or Laburnum veneer and laquer the hell out of it!  Make it into a desirable piece of furniture eh.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for all the kind words folks, I nearly didn't post the pics as I wasn't sure if people would be interested. 
    The disappearing patch cables means soldering on the board which was a pain and it means I have to unsolder a plug if I want to make any major changes (though I can't see it happening).

The locking sockets are OTT for home and trickty to use while holding a guitar as you need 2 hands depending on the angle you're tyring to reach them from. But they do look good. Having the  big power switch on the top is the best bit imo.

Though with hindsight I fitted the power and audio sockets on the wrong sides. As it is my guitar lead trails in front of the board as I'm right handed, didn't think of that when I was planning, (easily solved with a longer cable though).

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Nice job! Fingers crossed i can get mine sorted out soon, botched together one from old bits of wood.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.