stands

What's Hot
Could do with a new stand. I see there are a lot if cheap ones, but considering the value of some of my guitars want a stable one that has a " cradle" fir the bottom and a neck holder that has some form of securing. At the moment the best one seems to be the Hercules ( I think model 405b) , only for home use . Any other suggestions'?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    edited January 2015 tFB Trader
    I've gone through a lot of stands. to my mind, nothing beats hercules stands. they're great and i use three in the house now as well as a few of their wall hangers. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2015
    I use this one http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS405B.html Plus a couple of Ultimate Stands, but after years of use the legs on the Ultimate have started to spread out a bit too far so I'm retiring those. So yes, get the Hercules. 
  • The only thing I can't see from the pictures of the 405 ,is how it is secured at the headstock end. It just looks like it is open on the side.

I have the wall hangers and like those so happy to go with Hercules, and from the comments sounds like the right way to go.
    I can take some photos from different angles if you like, but it'll be tomorrow (yawn).
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    .this is the one I use downstairs......l http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS432B.html
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Tks, DJ. All u want to be sure is that it has some way to stop it getting knocked off the stand .
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Hercules all the way.

One aspect of cheap stands is the material on the neck/body support may end up staining the paintwork. Plasticisers can leech out of the crappy materials used. 
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Hercules the head stocks are locked in great stands
    Tks, DJ. All u want to be sure is that it has some way to stop it getting knocked off the stand .
    On that one (which isn't a locking/grab style) the neck support is designed so it can't just fall straight out. When taking the guitar off the stand you have to pull the neck forward a bit then out of the side. Difficult to describe but the support bit isn't just a horse shoe shape like old fashioned stands. 

I like the design a lot. I used to have a neck grab one but I didn't like it with my Tele's thin headstock
    edited January 2015
  • Oh I see that looks perfect. No problem with thin headstocks either
    Simple, efficient and quality. Just what I was looking for. Off to google now to find the cheapest place.

Thks guys and specially you DJ.. :-)
  • Woooh , just got the stand. It is a serious bit of kit.
    Thanks guys
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited January 2015
    In addition to full size stands, I keep one of these in my gigbag as a back-up so I'm never caught without a stand - brilliant design (Hercules again) that closes up into a disc and surprisingly stable.  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    I love hercules. I keep one acoustic and one electric next to the TV on just the little floor type ones. In about 6 years (touch wood) nothing has ever knocked one over...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
     In about 6 years (touch wood) nothing has ever knocked one over...

You don't have kids do you Mike ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
     In about 6 years (touch wood) nothing has ever knocked one over...

You don't have kids do you Mike ;-)
    Lol nope :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Could do with a new stand. I see there are a lot if cheap ones, but considering the value of some of my guitars want a stable one that has a " cradle" fir the bottom and a neck holder that has some form of securing. At the moment the best one seems to be the Hercules ( I think model 405b) , only for home use . Any other suggestions'?
    Stable, cradle - should have asked for one for Christmas.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Wall hangers for home use. Real space savers. No risk of knocking your pride and joy over.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30824
    edited January 2015
    Sassafras said:
    Wall hangers for home use. Real space savers. No risk of knocking your pride and joy over.
    I avoid wall hangers like the plague. If you've cental heating nearby and hang your guitars for long periods expect a lot of set up and fret repairs. I did this and found out the hard way when I had to have my Cunetto refretted due to long term hanging.  Builders may disagree, but Charlie Chandler saw the guitar and it was the first question he asked...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    Gassage said:
    Sassafras said:
    I avoid wall hangers like the plague. If you've cental heating nearby and hang your guitars for long periods expect a lot of set up and fret repairs. I did this and found out the hard way when I had to have my Cunetto refretted due to long term hanging.  Builders may disagree, but Charlie Chandler saw the guitar and it was the first question he asked...
    I find leaving guitars near radiators generally is a terrible idea, but I have to say my guitars have been on wall hangers (away from heat sources and out of direct sunlight) for over 10 years now with no setup or fret issues.
    Never had any issues with nitro on the hercules stands either.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!