World Guitars has some NOS old stock on sale from other shop

What's Hot
darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

Looking at World Guitars website, they made a post to show some Knaggs guitars are pretty fantastic prices, they say it's from a guitar shop that has gone out of business (who is this ?)

this is also an amazing value Music Man 25th Reflex - please someone buy this

Who is the other shop that had all this great gear that I wasn't aware of?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Probably Toneworld?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The Knaggs guitars I've tried have been very well made... but there doesn't seem to be much of a following for them in the UK and I suspect second hand resale values could be very low.  Coda tried selling Knaggs guitars a while ago... and they ended up selling the last ones at what I think were significantly bigger discounts than these ones.

If you get one... and it's a keeper... then resale won't matter... but if not...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    In the oven!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Jeff can suck it, though. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    just really more curious who the shop was that had all this great gear that's stopped trading and why I'm not aware of them
  • Strat_a_tat_tat;465804" said:
    The Knaggs guitars I've tried have been very well made... but there doesn't seem to be much of a following for them in the UK and I suspect second hand resale values could be very low. 
    Well they are very ugly indeed.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Well they are very ugly indeed.
    I prefer to think of them as 'cosmetically challenged'. 
    ;)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    It may well have been Tone World - they had a lot of Knaggs guitars, which didn't (AFAIK) turn up at Sound Affects, who bought their stock.

That said, Toneworld closed down nearly a year ago - so perhaps not....
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited January 2015
    I see that Rick is now representing Knaggs in the UK.
    GuitarMonkey;465978" said:
    I see that Rick is now representing Knaggs in the UK.
    Rick works for Zoom UK, who handle Knaggs.

He's a lovely fellow.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5415
    edited January 2015
    Long time lurker, first time poster. :) 

It's not ex-Toneworld stock. And I'm not sure that the dealer in question has actually gone out of business (does it actually say that anywhere on WG's site?) - just that I think they are no longer handling Knaggs. They (the dealer) are not very well known. I know most of the story behind all this but out of respect for the parties involved I won't give out any more details just yet.

These are great deals and if you're into these guitars, I'd do it. They are relatively better prices than what Coda was offering when they were down to their last few Coda sold some shop-soiled stuff for a *bit* less, but nothing that was pristine/new - Coda had some quite badly dinged models in stock that weren't repaired all that well that they blew out.

They certainly aren't that well known in the UK but Knaggs in general is growing... perhaps in five years these low serials will be more interesting to prospective buyers should you decide to sell. One thing is fairly certain - the guitars are outstandingly made - up there with the absolute best. The aesthetic certainly isn't always everyone's cup of tea but they are exceptional quality nonetheless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2761
    edited January 2015
    Whitecat said:
    Coda had some quite badly dinged models in stock that weren't repaired all that well that they blew out.

I played a few of the models at Coda... and I don't recognise the above description. I think their very last one had some cosmetic damage. Others appeared to be in good shape... and I seem to remember they were at a larger discount.

I have no affiliation with Coda.. or any other retailer (or manufacturer).  Just stating the facts as I saw them.

:)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5415
    edited January 2015
    Well, I bought one of Coda's last Knaggs models and although they gave me a big discount off the sticker price it wasn't nearly as good a price as the ones WG has.

The last two new ones they had (both Kenais) were both fine, but the last two Keyas they had were both damaged. They sold before the Kenais did, probably because of the price they got marked down to. They got two used ones I after all the new ones went that that were very clean (a Severn and another Kenai) - but those went for used guitar prices. That's how I remember it.
  • Snap... I also played them all at Coda... and bought one.

One thing we concur on is... they are extremely well made guitars.  To me, not up there with Collings.... but beyond PRS's standard USA guitars.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Loving that Red/Pink/Pale Blue burst ! B-)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Choptank does look nice.
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    @johnnysixstring had a knaggs tier three he struggled to shift, iirc it was a super low price
  • Hymnal said:
    @johnnysixstring had a knaggs tier three he struggled to shift, iirc it was a super low price

Yep... I think that's the reality with regard secondhand prices.
    edited January 2015
    I know a couple of Knaggs endorsees - they rate them very highly.

I'm not wild about the designs - some shapes have an instrinsic 'rightness' about them - the PRS double-cut outline is a great example - I don't see that in Knaggs guitars.

That said, neither of the people I'm referring to would play guitars that they didn't rate - they both own plenty of good instruments (one owns over 70 guitars!)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Whitecat said:
    Long time lurker, first time poster. :) 

It's not ex-Toneworld stock. And I'm not sure that the dealer in question has actually gone out of business (does it actually say that anywhere on WG's site?) - just that I think they are no longer handling Knaggs. They (the dealer) are not very well known. I know most of the story behind all this but out of respect for the parties involved I won't give out any more details just yet.

These are great deals and if you're into these guitars, I'd do it. They are relatively better prices than what Coda was offering when they were down to their last few Coda sold some shop-soiled stuff for a *bit* less, but nothing that was pristine/new - Coda had some quite badly dinged models in stock that weren't repaired all that well that they blew out.

They certainly aren't that well known in the UK but Knaggs in general is growing... perhaps in five years these low serials will be more interesting to prospective buyers should you decide to sell. One thing is fairly certain - the guitars are outstandingly made - up there with the absolute best. The aesthetic certainly isn't always everyone's cup of tea but they are exceptional quality nonetheless.

That's got rid of any knagging doubts...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom