Anyone tried the 2014 LP Classic?

The one with the boost toggle switch? They seem to be quite good value atm but I've not tried one...Chappers and the Captain said they were quite bright for a Les Paul, which probably isn't good.

Anyone tried them or compared them to Traditionals or Standards?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CeeBeeCeeBee Frets: 39
    I've been looking at these as well. Seem a good deal on Thomann. Bit nervous about buying a £1100 guitar from them, though have bought lower cost items from them before and always been ok. Was interested in the lemon burst but From the pics I've seen the top can vary a lot so I asked Thomann to take some pics, not impressed with the one they took photos of, it looked like cheap laminate.
  • I was looking at the b-stock one they have for 1k...I asked them for details on why it was B-stock and could they maybe send me some pictures? Answer: generic blurb on b-stock items and no, we can't send pictures. Bit rich of them to expect someone to shell out £1000 with no info.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    I think Thomann rely on their 30-day return offer. You might have to pay postage, but getting the chance to see the guitar in the flesh, and play it, is better than just getting some photos.
  • I was looking at the b-stock one they have for 1k...I asked them for details on why it was B-stock and could they maybe send me some pictures? Answer: generic blurb on b-stock items and no, we can't send pictures. Bit rich of them to expect someone to shell out £1000 with no info.
    Actually - it is now out of stock, so looks like it's not too much to expect! Oh well...
  • CeeBeeCeeBee Frets: 39
    edited January 2015
    Is it me or does this look weird? Thomann did send me some pics - this is one of the ones they sent. Dont like that down grain thing...

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Spec wise they're very similar to my late 2013 Trad Pro 2, although that has a push/push tone pot for the boost instead of a mini toggle.

The coil split sounds give some nice options. One of my favourite sounds from the guitar is on the middle position with the neck pick-up split and bridge on full. Great for clean jangly strummy stuff.

I don't use the boost at all though, I prefer a pedal to do that, but you can tweak the internal trim pot to make it less of a boost and use it to balance the volume between the coil split and full humbucker sounds (as you do loose a bit of volume when split)

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    @CeeBee I really like that top myself :D Got grain running both ways, a darker colour would make you think of laminate flooring a little less maybe?
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    i think that looks ace

• Do they sounder brighter than Traditionals/Standards, as alleged by Mssrs Chapman & Anderton? Seems odd if they do as the construction doesn't look very different.

Mind you, I did have a Signature STR1 (Japanese LP-alike) a few years back which was lovely apart from being very bright sounding and I could never quite figure out why.
  • CeeBee said:
    Is it me or does this look weird? Thomann did send me some pics - this is one of the ones they sent. Dont like that down grain thing...
    That's really hard to tell without seeing it in the flesh tbh - it might be just the angle...looks a bit plaintop-y to me, which I kind of like.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I think it looks horrid
  • Thomann have always sent me photos of b stock items when i have asked.
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    CeeBee said:

What happened to the bookmatched thingy? I agree with you on the grain.

• NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    TinLip said:What happened to the bookmatched thingy? I agree with you on the grain.
    It looks book matched to me.