What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Cabicular said:
    Alnico said:
    Note to self: Read the OP properly !

:)
    where is the funniez in that ;)
    I didn't read it properly and skipped past the bit that said "While Recording". Made me smile when i realised.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have heard stories of Jaco Pastorius stopping mid-gig and adjusting his truss rod. He was a bit mad, though.

I've heard that. I also liked the stories about him playing with his back to the audience so no one could copy what he was doing. I remember one were he was being interviewed and complained about being too tense to cope and insisted the interviewer went for a swim with him first before he would do the interview.
    I've heard a similar story of a guitarist turning up for a jam with him at his home - had to go for a run first before Jaco was loosened up enough to play!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    steamabacus;467708" said:
    I have heard stories of Jaco Pastorius stopping mid-gig and adjusting his truss rod. He was a bit mad, though.

That's nothing. Pavarotti adjusted his truss mid-song. Tighter for the high notes, loose for the low.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    MattFGBI said:
    His fuzz face was, surely?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    I often re-arrange my pedal colour scheme mid solo.

I use the black Pete Cornish for a darker tone, the grey series have more headroom, as more air in the box obviously, and, being a shade or two lighter, the tone is obviously brighter.

You can hold the bent note as your roadie swaps the pedals over and you get time to flick a pick to the fans.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    See, the fundamental mistake the dude in the OP is making is that he's moving his pole pieces up & down.

All us real tone messiahs know that you leave the pole pieces alone and move the rest of the guitar up & down relative to them !

That's where the real gold is
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    DrBob said:
    See, the fundamental mistake the dude in the OP is making is that he's moving his pole pieces up & down.

All us real tone messiahs know that you leave the pole pieces alone and move the rest of the guitar up & down relative to them !

That's where the real gold is
    Brilliant !
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 355
    And I thought tuning between each song/ take was overkill.. 

I tend to adjust gain and volume between songs too, while slightly pulling the earplugs out.. By the end of the gig/ recording sesh I have ample volume, gain and signal strength and it's also too late for anyone to bother ,, 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Gassage said:
    you get time to flick a pick to the fans.
    Euphamism?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    A fret-dress before each song is mandatory for me....
    Pfft.  Amateur!  I insist on having my tech dress my frets continually while playing.  Your tone must be terrible.  I bet you don't even have a Dumble.

On a slightly more serious note, I actually knew someone who did the polepiece thing when recording.  They would waffle on for hours about how it changed the tonal spectrum, emphasised different harmonics, etc.  Might have been a little more convincing had they ever learned how to actually tune a guitar properly.  

-- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214

I have an equal tempered guitar set up for every chord I play

Fortunately I primarily play status quo songs so I just need the three

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    ^^Although you will need another guitar when they find a fouth chord........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I have tone shoes, better connection with the ground gives better tone. I also get superior tone with my tone beard.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    A fret-dress before each song is mandatory for me....
    I have those kind of customers - makes for a pressured life for me!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    I often re-arrange my pedal colour scheme mid solo.

I use the black Pete Cornish for a darker tone, the grey series have more headroom, as more air in the box obviously, and, being a shade or two lighter, the tone is obviously brighter.

You can hold the bent note as your roadie swaps the pedals over and you get time to flick a pick to the fans.
    Surely just  a different colour dymo tape is all that is needed?

Do roadies need to have these in their tool kits?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    I keep a bottle of air that was harvested in 1965 from around the amplifier that Eric Clapton played through to record the Beano sessions... for that extra 'mojo' and 'tone' I release a small amount into the centre of the speaker cones before a solo, to ensure the best tonal transference. I find it can make a huge difference mid gig, especially if the room is really noisy/crowded and the drummer is doing his best shed-building impression.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    I know of an acoustic player,an Aussie,he's got a fairly beat-up old Maton with a worn top and very little to adjust and another old American fella called him a certified guitar player ...............he's got a great tone gadget .....called fingers.......apparently they get better with a lot of practice and work in conjunction with a musical brain and theoretical knowledge ( its a great rig )
     Gotta get me some of that !
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    the old American fella used the same thing !
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    edited January 2015
    Well, I make sure that my gear only ever runs on E.ON brand electricity, I tried Npower but it didn't have the creaminess that I get with E.ON.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBI said:
    Although true, speaking of obsessive studio tinkering, I remember reading that Roger Mayer retuned the travel on Jimi's wah pedal in the studio for different keys.