Good source for hardware for builds?

Hi, where are the recommended places for sourcing general hardware (neck plates, jack sockets, screws and whatnot) ? 
Axesrus? Axetec? Places that don't have the tiresome 'axe' in the name? :D 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited September 2013
    If you want everything to fit, then WD Music or AllParts are your best bets.

Although their prices are keen and they are lovely people, the last thing I bought from AxesᴙUs was the wrong size, by a country mile.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Ta
    Red ones are better. 
  • I use axesrus for little things (jack sockets, jackplates, screws), ebay or WD for specific name stuff (bridges, tuners, etc)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    WD UK will get stuff from WD USA if they don't have it in stock.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
    Although their prices are keen and they are lovely people, the last thing I bought from AxesᴙUs was the wrong size, by a country mile.

I've used them twice, won't use them again (both times the items were the wrong size). First return they tried to charge me a 'restocking; fee and they got rather unpleasant when I quoted DSRs. Both times they refused to pay return postage even though they were in the wrong.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2580
    I've mostly used hardware and electrics from Axetec on my last two builds including Iron Gear pickups on one. They include a lot of information on dimensions etc on their site which makes it easier to make sure you're getting the right thing. Service is good too.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Axesrus are perfect for small stuff, like knobs, pots, jacks, electro sockets for tele...

For named stuff, I Google the produce I want until I find it cheapest. :) I got my gotoh sd91s in gold for 21 quid!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Pickups & Wiring Looms - Mojo
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ThePrettyDamned said: Axesrus are perfect for small stuff, like electro sockets for tele... 
    Except the cheapo copies of Electrosockets they sell won't accept a Switchcraft jack socket. 
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Guitar Parts Resource, Crox Guitars, Glendale (pricey gear mind).
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • GuitarMonkey;45485" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said: Axesrus are perfect for small stuff, like electro sockets for tele... 

Except the cheapo copies of Electrosockets they sell won't accept a Switchcraft jack socket. 
    The one I got from them did in the jazzmaster. Maybe it's a quality control thing? It was cheap, and the shape wasn't perfect, but the switchcraft fit fine...

Unless they've changed it?
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7751
    I've tended to buy from Allparts over the years, though I have bought from WD too - both without problems.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I use eBay most of the time.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16651
    I get most stuff for builds from allparts.   I order all I need at the start so no issues if I have to wait for them to import it first.

often I use axesrus too, but not for crucial parts on builds with my name on... they are better than when they started but the quality is still often much lower than allparts, as is the price - perfect for those looking for a cheap repair/rebuild on a cheaper guitar

although i have to say you all expect too much if you expect to buy parts that fit.   its better than it used to be, but my first 10 years working on guitars was spent making stuff fit.   now I never expect anything to without a little work.  saves disappointment  
  • I've used Axesrus a lot and never had any problems as far as service goes, though GuitarMonkey is right about the Electrosockets, which is really annoying (I'm sure they used to sell two types, but don't seem to now.) They seem to be trying to go up market these days too with Musikraft necks and more options on the wiring side. Saying that I tend to just use them for the odd thing now as North West are similar price-wise and deliver quicker.

For me, pickups and wiring I get from  Mojo pickups as both are as good as anything I've tried at any price, and better than most - I love the fact that Marc delves into the obscure rather than sticking to the easy sellers - which suits what I want to do.

Allparts are good if you don't mind waiting, I use them a lot too, and for quite a few things they are cheaper than Axesrus these days. WD I use less but again they are good if you don't mind waiting for them to import things.