Another Noisy Strat !

What's Hot
Think my problem is different enough to @BigMonka 's to be worth a separate thread but if I'm being a real div please don't hesitate to mug me off in the most public & embarassing way possible.

Right so here's the sketch, My endless bitsa Strat build has entered the next phase. same body as last time but a lovely new neck from @GSPBasses with a frankly stellar finish applied by @lamf68, and the same Mojo 50's Strat pickup set & loom BUT with a new pickguard with a reverse angle bridge pickup.

Anyway, it's really noisy whenever I'm not touching any of the strings or the trem,jack socket, or indeed trem springs.
Now the thing is that the last time I built this I bought one of the shielding kits where you paint the pickup & control cavity with a graphite type paint & apply copper tape to the underside of the pickguard and as memory serves it wasn't especially noisy.
But with the shift to a reverse angle bridge pickup I've had to have at the pickup cavity with a dremel to allow the pickup to fit and the new plate doesn't have the copper screen on the underside.

Would these factors make a huge difference and do I need to touch in the bare wood gaps in the cavity insulation & shield the underside of the pickup or has the six months these bits have been kicking around the parts bin cause an earth malfunction somewhere ?

Your help is greatly appreciated as I'm keen to show this guitar off but I have a mental block about doing it until I've sorted the noise issue..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Is all the earthing in place properly? Trem block earthed, pits earthed, pickups earthed, correctly earthed to the jack socket etc?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3005
    I think so but I don't have a multimeter to prove continuity
  • It will be noisy when you're not touching.  When you do, if it's grounded properly, it should be much quieter. 
    The noise does go away when I touch any of the metal parts on the guitar
  • DrBob;468366" said:
    The noise does go away when I touch any of the metal parts on the guitar
    That's fine then. It means it's grounded properly. I don't know if there is a way to reduce noise when you're not touching it, though.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26950
    It's a shielding problem, and definitely grounded ok. When you touch the metal, you're added to the ground of the guitar, and your body acts as a big old shield.

I'm not clear what the status of shielding is atm, but you need more/better to get the noise to go away.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Okay, thanks all for responding.
    It's gratifying to know that the circuit is functioning as it should but it sounds like I need to buy another shielding kit and redo the plate !
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26950
    Just re-read the OP. Entirely possible you've now got no shielding, if the old plate was also used to conduct the painted bits to ground.

I generally find shielding on the guard alone is enough.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @stickyfiddle. Ok cool thanks mate, I shall order up another sheet of adhesive coppery stuff and have at the plate, see if that sorts it. Can't wait to show it to you all @GSPBasses & @lamf68 really have excelled themselves this time. '