Cheap but good resonators.

What's Hot
[Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
edited September 2013 in Acoustics
During a brief visit to York today, I called in a music shop and found a lovely Ozark resonator (wooden body, 14 fret neck, slot headstock). I was blown away by how good it sounded and had I had a few more minutes to check it over, would have happily bought it.

I think ICBM has one of these but I'm interested in knowing what else is out there that I should make an effort to try. I'm interested in metal-bodied ones as well. 12/14 fret neck join is not an issue. What I'm after is a decently made guitar which gives an as-close-as-possible performance to a 'real' Dobro/National. No specific budget, but no more than £500 would be ideal.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Mine is the metal-body version.

(Arty photo by Katie in my band :).)

It comes in many different brand names, but they're all clearly the same guitar - although the ones I've played vary quite a lot in tone and neck profile. From what I gather the tone is almost all down to the resonator cone itself, and can be changed for a real National one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• the grestch range are pretty good sounding for the money, i tried the boxcar (i think) and was well impressed by the sound for £300.

they do a bobtail as well which is another £130 but you get a pickup in with that.

The Swamp City Shakers
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4192
    edited October 2013
    ICBM said:
    From what I gather the tone is almost all down to the resonator cone itself, and can be changed for a real National one.
    Actually you'd be surprised how little difference that can make....the most important thing is that it's properly put together and set up (with proper neck stick construction, a level pan for the cone to sit on, the correct woods used for the biscuit and bridge). Putting a National cone into a poorly constructed reso will make it sound different but not necessarily better, and probably no closer to the sound of a real National.

For the £500 mark the only serious choice is the Michael Messer range available in the UK through Busker Guitars. These guitars actually stand up to vintage Nationals (within reason - they're built to a price) and are dramatically better sounding then the generic re-badged guitars from Ozark and all the others. MM has just brought out a wood bodied single cone based on the earliest National Triolians. I played a prototype recently and it's stunning.

I should say that all of the above is only relevant if you consider the original National guitars as being the benchmark of what resos should sound and play like. Lots of people are very happy with the sound of their resos that National fans like me wouldn't like.One of the most successful reso players in the UK is Marcus Bonfanti and he plays a Dean which most reso aficionados wouldn't use as a door stop but it hasn't done him any harm!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Lewy said:
    Actually you'd be surprised how little difference that can make....the most important thing is that it's properly put together and set up (with proper neck stick construction, a level pan for the cone to sit on, the correct woods used for the biscuit and bridge). Putting a National cone into a poorly constructed reso will make it sound different but not necessarily better, and probably no closer to the sound of a real National.
    Interesting. I've never tried it, that's just something I'd read.

Lewy said:

I should say that all of the above is only relevant if you consider the original National guitars as being the benchmark of what resos should sound and play like. Lots of people are very happy with the sound of their resos that National fans like me wouldn't like.One of the most successful reso players in the UK is Marcus Bonfanti and he plays a Dean which most reso aficionados wouldn't use as a door stop but it hasn't done him any harm!
    Yes, I'm probably not comparing mine to a National, I just like the sound of it. They do vary massively though, I recently worked on a Regal - which I'm certain came from the same factory - and it was really very different, both the neck profile and the tone. The Regal was much brighter and 'tinnier' (in a good way), more how I remember the vintage Nationals I've played sounded, had a V neck and was definitely better for slide blues playing. The Regal was for sale and I could have easily bought it and sold the Ozark - and I have to say I was tempted if only because the Regal logo was so much cooler! - but I much prefered the sound and feel of the Ozark, which I use as a conventional guitar, not for slide.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    edited October 2013
    which ones sound nice and smooth like my mate's old National, rather than zingy
    i.e. mids and not much treble (ironic since I play strats usually)
  • When I was buying my national (m1tricone) I actually went there with the intention of buying a national estralita but wasn't overly impressed with it. That's when I picked up the grestch boxcar. I spent a good 45 mins or so comparing the 3 guitars. The grestch to my ears stood up pretty well to the nationals, not as complex or precise, but definitely warm and natural sounding. ( blimey, I could get a job in the grestch Marketing Department!) Obviously I've only played that one grestch and it might have just been a gooden, but I reckon they're well worth a look at.
    The Swamp City Shakers
    which ones sound nice and smooth like my mate's old National, rather than zingy
    i.e. mids and not much treble (ironic since I play strats usually)
    My Ozark is like that, but most of the cheap ones aren't.

What happened to richardhomer? He's now showing up as 'deleted user'...

• Lewy said:
    For the £500 mark the only serious choice is the Michael Messer range available in the UK through Busker Guitars. These guitars actually stand up to vintage Nationals (within reason - they're built to a price) and are dramatically better sounding then the generic re-badged guitars from Ozark and all the others.
    +1 for the Michael Messer guitars. I have the "Blues" version which has the neck join at the 14th fret rather than the traditional 12th fret on National guitars. It is a fine instrument with a classic sound and a great setup by Busker guitars.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    edited October 2013

The Recording King RR-50-VS looks pretty darn good for the money. Ebony fingerboard, bone-nut and hand-spun cone.
    For £219  from Thoman.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/recording_king_rr50vs_roundneck.htm

http://www.recordingking.com/products/resonators-all-models/resonators-rr-50-vs

The reviews I have found seem positive and this could be a good instrument to start on..I know I'm thinking of picking on of these up.
    Anyone played one?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"