barre chord notation

What's Hot
imaloneimalone Frets: 748
Just checking I'm not being stupid here, working on Albeniz's Asturias and have got, above the staff, "BVII6" (small 6). Was briefly confused that this should be a B7 over G# or something, but the notes are a straight B chord at the 7th fret, so it looks like this just means B, barre at 7th fret, all six strings, like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barre_chord#Notation correct?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    Like you said, the BVII is a B chord at the 7th fret, but the '6' has to function as something otherwise it's pointless it being there. What key is it in, and have you got an image of the bar in question?  I'm intrigued.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • After quickly skimming the score I suggest that the little 6 means you barre all six strings.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Cool, thanks both.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    After quickly skimming the score I suggest that the little 6 means you barre all six strings.
    And that the "B" means barre, not a B chord. (Look at bar 37, where it's a C7 chord).
    mart said:
    After quickly skimming the score I suggest that the little 6 means you barre all six strings.
    And that the "B" means barre, not a B chord. (Look at bar 37, where it's a C7 chord).
    Could be key of B#? ;) (Wisdom for answering the question before I got there, which might take a while as I now seem to have unhelpfully sprained my wrist).
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    This is totally feckin with my mind.  A capital B means full barre chord and the roman numerals indicate which fret to barre from - VII = 7th fret. What is really confusing when you start to see BIII5 and BIV4 etc. 

What have the numbers got to do with anything, and why is sweet f.a on the internet to explain what they mean?

This piece is way beyond my ability but I need to know!

That aside, its a pisser you've sprained your wrist imalone.  Hope you make a quick recovery 
    :)
    beed84 said:
    This is totally feckin with my mind.  A capital B means full barre chord and the roman numerals indicate which fret to barre from - VII = 7th fret. What is really confusing when you start to see BIII5 and BIV4 etc. 

What have the numbers got to do with anything, and why is sweet f.a on the internet to explain what they mean?

Mine too, that's why I'm trying to learn it :)

beed84 said:

That aside, its a pisser you've sprained your wrist imalone.  Hope you make a quick recovery 
    Not too bad, no idea how I did it though. Have got a wrist support on, mainly because it's my dominant hand and the support stops me trying to do things with it.
  • I've not done classical gtr for a long time but I swear that they used to notate a barre with a 'c' then the numeral to indicate which fret. A c alone meant full barre and a 1/2c meant half barre. Could be wrong. Maybe the B's and numbers are a modern thing...
  • beed84 said:

Sometimes there are Bs, Cs, nothing, etc.

It's just an optional hint to accompany the dots...it's not a stream of chord names.

When you see a 4 in this context, that might suggest that you barre strings D, G, B, and E.