Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How many amps?

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1596
How many amps do you have? And specifically how many amps do you have that get used?

I have a two now but for years I had one and that was enough. 

The truth is I'm not gigging as much as I would like to at the moment which in reality means I've got a couple of nice amps that are essentially bedroom amps. 

I find I'm alternating between my two amps at home because they do sound radically different but I am trying to justify having two. Funny because I have no issues in owning 4/5 guitars because they "feel" different. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I've got 2: a peavey classic 30 which I gig (selling that Sunday and taking delivery of an orange rocker 30 soon) and a crappy old 15watt Marshall ss that I use at home.

I'd like a second decent amp for use at home as I only get to use my decent amp once a week at the rehearsal room. Which seems like a waste but there we go...

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    Strictly speaking I own four electric guitar amps, but two are in the shop for sale, so I would say: two. I do use both of them, although I haven't played an electric gig in a few years now. One is my main amp for everything and the other is a low-power, lightweight amp that I only really bought out of nostalgia, but I could actually see myself playing at a small gig. (Subject to making a safe back panel for it!)

And...

One all-purpose acoustic/keyboard/etc amp, one bass amp, one PA amp. All these get used.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• One, an Excelsior with new cabinet and a 1x12 speaker, which I am going to try out this weekend.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I've always been a one-amp man* two is excessive.

*Ok, if you dismiss the titchy Blackstar Fly battery amp thingy (which gets used a lot).
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    I have 2 but would like another MJW if I could afford it. I have a hankering for low powered amps but there isn't one I want outside of having one made. Doh!
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    I have one, a MkV which I play out with once or twice a week; fortunatelly it's got a decent master volume so I use it daily at home as well.
    I also have a crate powerblock as backup, tho it probably wouldn't cut it tone-wise. Fortunately I never had to use it.

I'm GASing over an AER Alpha SS amp for jazz. That would be used enough to justify it but ain't got the funds for it.. 

• I've got 4 at the moment. 2 bandmaster reverbs, if one goes down I've got a spare or spares. Just got a blues jnr because every time I went into a guitar shop to try something out I'd get given one to play thru and I couldn't help but like them and there not bad amps really, not great but not bad. And finally a little thr 10. And yes they all get used.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Mesa Mark Five 25, Blackstar HT Club 40 and Line 6 Spider 15. Well, and my dad's old bass live rig - SWR Bass 350 and Hartke 4x10.

Only the Mesa and the SWR get used regularly now.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Suhr Badger 30 + Suhr 1x12
    Suhr Corso + Suhr 1x12
    Dr Z Maz 18 Jnr NR + Dr Z 1x12

I use them all
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    edited January 2015
    4 (kt66, 6v6, EL34 and EL84 based amps) and 1 being built.  
    But 1 of those is in the classifieds with another to join soon.  If only I didn't need the funds then I think the 5 would have covered everything I'd ever need.......

Until the next thing comes along!
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    2 at the moment...and i will run it stereo...marshall superbass and orange cr120

A 3rd will come soon...then that will run stereo with the superbass and the Orange will be my practice amp.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I've got 2, a Peavey JD30-T and a Marshall MG30FX. There's a 1 x 12 cab on the way and I'll be replacing the Marshall with a Blackstar HT5 head (probably). I might try one of those little Hotone ones too.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    edited January 2015

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I have one, but was a rare find and if i could find another i would buy it in a heartbeat and run them in stereo.

I have a Peavey Solo Series Special 130.

If i ever find another one the same, i'll buy it and level two buildings at once instead of just one at a time.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    edited January 2015
    For me, you HAVE to have a least 2. Ive yet to find an amp that does great cleans, hair and OD, at levels I can use.

So, I did have 3;

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/3 Amp Day/thefamily.jpg

I now have one - a Carr Rambler

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/3 Amp Day/FullSizeRender.jpg

And this Carr Skylark is on order to be built

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/Skylark0005sm.png

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 8 (facepalmIconThingy)

I don't need 8. But I like them :)

Roland Microcube
    Dallas Arbiter Slider amp
    Mesa studio .22
    Marshall JCM800 4010 combo
    Marshall JCM800 bass combo
    Ferrograph 5 (needs fixing)
    Groove Tubes STP-g
    Trace Acoustic TA35cr

ATM I use the Groove Tubes, Slider amp and the mesa mostly.
  • Currently 5 but with any luck soon to be 6.

Marshall 69 Superbass (with cab)
    Budda Superdrive V40 212 Combo
    Budda Superdrive V20 112 Combo
    ZT Lunchbox
    Kustom Tuck And Roll piece of crap

Also 2 Budda 212 cabs if ever I should need them.

Looking to get rid of the Budda's (as much as I love them) and get a Lonestar, a Twin and an AC30 or AC15. Then I have everything covered that I need. I do lots of gigging and cover a lot of ground tonally. I also do session work and dep for a few players and each band is very different. As a busy guitarist I need to be prepared for whatever is thrown at me. If I did none of this I'd probably just have a couple. A Fender based one and a Marshall based one.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802

I have two, a Blackstar HT-40 which is just too loud and a Laney Cub 12, with a V speaker, which is awesome.

Really I should sell the Blackstar and swap for a 2nd low watt amp as I never use it. Then I could have a small stereo rig!

• I have 1 - matchless HC30 and 2x12. I also have an ehx caliber 22 but that doesn't really count!..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • One amp for me, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe which is nice and portable and easily does home twiddling and away-missions; no electric gigs at present but it was purchased with the intention of it being the "one amp" and it appears to be such.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.