1959 Gibson DC TV Junior Headstock Repair.

What's Hot
IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
edited January 2015 in Making & Modding tFB Trader
Thought i'd document this for anyone who might be interested.

I picked up a 'player' '59 Gibson DC TV Model just before Christmas which had had a very messy headstock repair years ago.

I decided to attempt to tidy up the break and make it more stable.

It began as this:

The break was stable but a mess. So, taking a hairdrier and applying some heat and pressure, the old glue melted and the break soon started to pull apart:

But something else was revealing itself as the crack opened...

....the previous repair, complete with 2 nails!

After pulling out the nails, I was left with this:

So after a few hours cleaning scraping off all the old glue, the crack was re-glued with Titebond and clamped for 24 hours.

After 24 hours I re-installed the tuners, re-strung and tuned to pitch and left it overnight. The fix held, i'm happy!

I was left with this:

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
(formerly miserneil)
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Next job was to tidy up the repair.

The face was sanded flat:

At this point, I decided to removed the washer indents left by the Schaller tuners. I wanted to preserve the original Gibson logo (N.B. as I think this was a '59/60 transitional model, they were often shipped without the Les Paul TV Model/Junior silkscreen). I could have plugged the holes and re-drilled but at this point I was still unsure whether I was going to keep the Klusson buttons or go with some aged Grovers.

So Mahogany filler was applied...looking a little like a casualty from the Great War....

Left overnight to harden then sanded back:

I also sanded the back of the headstock and the repair:

Next, I blacked the headstock face with Black nitro, then clear coat and finally some tinted clear on the back and front of the headstock. Then I aged the face slightly to blend it in with the rest of the guitar :

And now we're done! :-)

(Just need a couple of truss rod cover screws....)

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I may give my LP headstock re-brake (thank you little 6 yr old boy.....) a go meself then. Mine's not as bad as yours was as the headstock is still on. Thankfully   :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Wow a mighty fine job you've done there!  Nice work!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    Excellent work, well done!

It's fascinating seeing the pictures of the stripped-down headstock, it looks about 100 years old.  More like something from the Antiques Roadshow than a playable instrument, in a way.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Very impressive work - especially the front - it can't have been easy refinishing it to match that well. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    looks good
  • Nice job! 
    The sixth photo (the half headstock) made me feel a bit ill!
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Thanks for posting this, extremely interesting and educational set of photographs, well done on rescuing a great guitar.

tFB Trader
    Many thanks chaps, much appreciated!

Nice job! 
    The sixth photo (the half headstock) made me feel a bit ill!
    I have to admit, it's the 5th one with the nails, that turns my stomach....it looks like a poor amputee.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Nice job. Now all you need are some mountain backing tracks.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Brilliant work. I really like that you've done just the right amount of blending in to make it look good and like an old repair, but left most of the history of it showing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Brilliant work. I really like that you've done just the right amount of blending in to make it look good and like an old repair, but left most of the history of it showing.
    Many thanks! There was no way of hiding the repair completely - and not that I'd want to really - as the rest of the guitar is so well used but I feel much happier about the current repair and its stability. 

I'm unraveling some REALLY interesting history on this guitar, (which is still ongoing so I don't want to say too much yet) so it might be that keeping the rest of the guitar as it is currently will be imperative to the value...
    (formerly miserneil)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    miserneil said:
    I'm unraveling some REALLY interesting history on this guitar, (which is still ongoing so I don't want to say too much yet) so it might be that keeping the rest of the guitar as it is currently will be imperative to the value…
    Many years ago I made a "major" ;) mistake like that…

I bought an old and very early Marshall Major amp in very poor condition, blown-up and having been modified quite extensively. I restored it to the original circuit and condition, kept it a few years and eventually sold it when it needed re-valving - in those days the only KT88s you could get were the original GEC Gold Lions, and a set cost about the same as the amp was worth.

Some time later I came across a schematic detailing the modifications Marshall did to a few early Majors on behalf of a certain Ritchie Blackmore of well-known beat combo Deep Purple. I'll give you one guess what my amp probably was!

The only saving grace is that I had sold it (via an intermediary, I never got to meet him unfortunately) to Gary Moore, who used it on the BBM album apparently.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ICBM;473510" said:
    miserneil said:I'm unraveling some REALLY interesting history on this guitar, (which is still ongoing so I don't want to say too much yet) so it might be that keeping the rest of the guitar as it is currently will be imperative to the value…

Many years ago I made a "major" ;) mistake like that…

I bought an old and very early Marshall Major amp in very poor condition, blown-up and having been modified quite extensively. I restored it to the original circuit and condition, kept it a few years and eventually sold it when it needed re-valving - in those days the only KT88s you could get were the original GEC Gold Lions, and a set cost about the same as the amp was worth.

Some time later I came across a schematic detailing the modifications Marshall did to a few early Majors on behalf of a certain Ritchie Blackmore of well-known beat combo Deep Purple. I'll give you one guess what my amp probably was!

The only saving grace is that I had sold it (via an intermediary, I never got to meet him unfortunately) to Gary Moore, who used it on the BBM album apparently.
    Ah.....bugger!

I could possibly be in a similar sort of situation....waiting on a few transatlantic emails though... :-)
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Great work. Looking forward to hearing some stories!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Wow! Great job!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Absolutely brilliant work. Just the right blend of restoration and repair, while keeping the original vibe of the guitar - and what a sweet guitar it is too.

Please update us when you've found the history trail.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9608
    I suspect a certain American punk rocker...
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6901
    Great stuff. I enjoyed reading through all that. Can't wait for the history to surface!
    Previously known as stevebrum