ACS custom ear plug users

What's Hot
GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
I'm getting moulds done this week for some ACS Pro 17 earplugs. Looking at their website, you get the option for adding 'grips', so I was just wondering whether people chose this option who use them on here? Are they easy enough to get in and out of the ear without the additional grips option? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I don't have grips on mine. The first few times you put them in it can be a bit difficult, but you'll soon get the hang of it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26977
    What he said. No need in my experience.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    Are these flat-enough to attenuate evenly across the spectrum?

I got the ACS Pacato ones which are allegedly the flattest in that price range but they do attenuate the highs and high mids a bit more; That's obviously not great as that's where the guitar sits..
    If the pros are anything like this then I'm wondering how good they actually are for gtr and whether they're worth the investment.

Or is not 100% flat attenuation to be expected and it's mostly about protection level from tinnitus?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Third'd - grips not needed unless you're drunk and slippy.
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    cheers guys 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited January 2015
    @Catthan The ACS plugs are pretty flat and you soon adjust to them when you're playing. They're way better than non-attenuating foam or rubber plugs which cut all the high end out. They do cut out a little high end and some mids but if you want to save your hearing, they're the best options I've found so far.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Catthan The ACS plugs are pretty flat and you soon adjust to them when you're playing. They're way better than non-attenuating foam or rubber plugs which cut all the high end out. They do cut out a little high end and some mids but if you want to save your hearing, they're the best options I've found so far.

Big +1 I want to be able to enjoy the music I love when I'm old, and I really don't want my tinnitus getting worse. I've used the ACS Custom plugs for a few years now, I really wish I'd had them a long time ago. You really do get used to them, and hearing protection is so important.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I have a pair as well as some in ear monitors and find them ok to get in and out but everybody's ears are a different shape so some may need grips to remove.

What has proven to be worth their weight in gold are the sleep sound earplugs - protected me from noisy neighbours, snoring girlfriend, and great on planes etc

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They're awesome though at low band volumes I wish I got 15s. They come out ok but I wouldn't mind grips and would be interested in seeing what those look like
    They're awesome though at low band volumes I wish I got 15s. They come out ok but I wouldn't mind grips and would be interested in seeing what those look like

You can easily get the 15 filters and just swap them depending on the gig/rehearsal situation. Most of the cost is in the custom moulds.
  • Yep, I think I'm still in the time window where I can swap for 15s but will stick with them. How much for extra filters?
    Prices for just the filters are on the ACS site. A drummer I play with has three different filters and swaps them out for different situations (we rehearse quite quietly at a village hall, but do some loud gigs).
    Here's the "just filters" page. http://acscustom.com/uk/product/pro15-filter/
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    When I got my plugs moulded I chose to have both grips and string. We play reasonably quietly, so I don't need them at our own gigs. However I do use them for planes and trains, where I wouldn't like to lose one on the floor, and also when I'm using a chainsaw.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Thanks - £50 for filters, not too bad. Might get some 15s..
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I have grips on mine and Im never drunk but they make a huge difference. However, Ive never seen them without the grips. 

I have the 17s and they are brillant, but I am tempted to get a set of 15's just to see if you can "hear" a little bit more
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    Well I got the moulds done the other day and went for no grips for fingers crossed I can get them out! 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    Has anyone used the 10's or 15's?  How do they compare to the 17s?      I find the 17's just make everything too quiet when I'm gigging, kinda lose the energy a bit.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    thomasw88 said:
    Has anyone used the 10's or 15's?  How do they compare to the 17s?      I find the 17's just make everything too quiet when I'm gigging, kinda lose the energy a bit.

Would like to know this too.

Think I'll get some 10s for gigging, and keep the 17s for practice (when we're too loud lol)

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited January 2015
    I have er15s and find they can take the fun out of gigging, so I often don't use them for gigs - I might put them in for second sets when ear fatigue sets in . I do use them all the time for rehearsal and also for attending gigs...last Motörhead show I went to even the 15s we're not enough, it was still ear-splitting. My mate had bits of toilet tissue stuffed in his ears to try to cope with it :)

FWIW, my audiologist advised against frequent filter changes, he believed it would wear out the moulds quickly.