Amp/Axe FX ponderings....

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
edited January 2015 in Amps
Well, thanks @randomhandclaps

Even just asking about my "home" amp made me think about volume and value etc....

I got a Diezel Hagen 3 months ago which has never been turned on for more than 15 minutes once due to band issues. My Orange TH30 has been on loads at home but at very low volume on 7w setting and I don't use all my pedals as they are over-egged at low volume, so I just don't bother.

ANYWAYS!

I start toying with flogging both amps, all my pedals and going the Axe FX route. Never been that bothered in the past about modelling but one amp that I could easily transport to use at home or if my band issues ever get sorted appeals right now. 

Am I just being a twat because I'm bored....Is this the real life, is this just fantasy.....?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited January 2015
    I say go for it and do something that interests you.

An Axe FX is going to give a lot and if your current kit has that much value and doesn't get used properly, or as intended, you're sitting on something that could give you much more.

On a smaller scale i did the exact same thing and sold the 2 spare amps i had and all 12 pedals for an amp i really wanted and a Zoom G3. I also got a great Strat and a brand new hardcase out of it too. The used value of it all quite surprised me.
    What i get from it now is WAY more than i ever could have with the kit i sold and i can still gig this set up very successfully. 

If you sell up and get the Axe FX, it's still ultimately giggable and always going to give you a great deal of enjoyment in the meantime.

As my last point, check my signature for a reality check !

Best of luck.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Ha ha, awesome.

Yeah it makes sense but I just can't believe I'd be doing yet another roundabout for something that would be better suited for convenience rather than actual GAS. 
    Plus I absolutely love my Strymon pedals, but would have no need for them.
    I have a gut feeling that an Axe FX will kick the arse out of any Strymon pedal but it's your call man.

Life in the UK is full of roundabouts.

The trick is getting the right lane !
    Really? I love them, I know they seem to be marmite but I bloody love marmite too.
    As an aside point, i don't think the Axe FX would be "For convenience" once you get to grips with what it's capable of...........
    I know it to be a box of magic that is utterly astounding and although it is very convenient, i think it's main strength is in sound quality and capability.

If it were me and my money i would be ripping the arm off the man selling the Axe FX, but it really is your call.

Through a stereo power amp, i think it would be sonic Nirvana. I wish i could be at that level myself !
    Deijavoo said:
    Really? I love them, I know they seem to be marmite but I bloody love marmite too.
    Please don't take my comments as dismissive, i do acknowledge Strymon pedals being good, i just think the Axe FX would be *Better*.
  • Deijavoo said:
    Ha ha, awesome.

Yeah it makes sense but I just can't believe I'd be doing yet another roundabout for something that would be better suited for convenience rather than actual GAS. 

Why not sell one amp and get a Kemper then?  It would be more convenient than the Axe FX (on paper, depends how you work) and cheaper.

Have you tried an Axe FX?  I really like mine but with it being so expensive I'm always cautious to recommend it without knowing if it is the best way to go for someone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Kemper.
  • Why Kemper versus Axe FX?

(Am I going to regret asking that?)

All the demos I've heard I prefer the Axe FX but it looks more awkward to set up than a Kemper. To me at least. Maybe Kemper home amp is the way forward and leave my amps at the practice room.

Which is expensive way forward when my band is doing precisely jack shit just now. 
    Or maybe one of those Koch Load Box jobs. I can never say that without a grin.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    edited January 2015
    I play my AF2 more than the KPA
    KPA does better amp sounds generally (if you buy good rigs), fx are basic
    AF2 does much better FX, and some amps are just as good as the KPA
    plugged into a PC, the AF2 is easier to use than KPA
    I was under the impression that it was the other way round.

Deijavoo said:
    in what way?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    You can run pedals in an FX loop on the Kemper, so you could still use your Strymons with it.

Deijavoo said:
    in what way?

Just from what I've read, plus I think the toaster would appeal to me more than the rack. More knobs to play with.....ooo..err..missus!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    come to London and try mine, and then buy me lots of beer as a thanks.
    Sounds like a date!
    Deijavoo said:

Deijavoo said:
    in what way?

Just from what I've read, plus I think the toaster would appeal to me more than the rack. More knobs to play with.....ooo..err..missus!
    AF2 is considerably more flexible and tweakable than KPA, and patches are all free

KPA is pretty useless without good quality profiles, and they usually cost money
    KPA is not very tweakable, even though it has more knobs, it has far less things you can adjust