First gig tonight!

What's Hot
hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
Soooo, tonight at the ripe old age of 37 I'm playing my first gig! I'm the only guitarist in a 5 piece show band (drums, bass, 2 x keyboard and me) for a panto, and as I'm hidden in a band loft it seems like the ideal way to pop my cherry. I want to get out and play but nerves have always held me back so I'm hoping this 2 week run will cure that! I'm the only non-pro up there and I've learned loads already from the tech rehearsal and full dress rehearsal.

The plan is to get a couple of bands together afterwards, 1 cover band and one original or jazz band, and then get out there and play but I need to get over this stage fright first!

I'm really looking forward to it, but I'm nervous as hell at the same time.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Best of luck for the gig, and indeed all those gigs to come. I got back into playing gigs maybe 5 or 6 years ago, after a massive break of about 20 years. And indeed I was nervous as hell at first, but I got through it. I have found the nerves thing gets better with time and experience, although there is always a bit of a rush to playing live, which is good of course. Don't know if I can offer much advice - maybe I'd say just to accept that the nerves will be there, but try to keep a bit of your brain thinking about what you're doing, and what's coming up, and the details of the music. Doing that kind of distracts from the nerves in a way, and keeps you focused. But have a good one mate! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Cheers @Megii!

You remember when I mentioned this show on the other forum and got the piss taken out of me a little, Jocko and Reg saying that I'd be playing the triangle? Well on one of the songs without guitar I play a slide whistle! :D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Slide whistle as well as the guitar? You is versatile! :D
    I use it for some sound effects in another section too! Versatility is my middle name, as long as you only want slide whistle in addition to guitar :D

Now I need to see where I can fit one in to Autumn Leaves... :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good luck @hobbio, I'm sure you'll smash it (the slide whistle I mean!). Show bands are fun, the music is always quite varied and can be a challenge in itself. I hope you really enjoy it. Next step is infront of a crowd, how else will they admire your foot-on-monitor ripping solos?
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    break a leg (though as you'll be a in a loft not literally)

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    My advice is spares of everything, plus a spare jack lead for someone else in the band to borrow...
    Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to getting up there now!

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Good luck, here's my list of things to remember (apart from the songs) I used to shit myself before gigs...but that's all they are just gigs, (although this one is special) not to sound blase, I love playing in front of a crowd.

Don't over-think it too much.  
    Everybody there wants you to succeed/do well etc, 
    Try and enjoy it-you'll have fun (it's supposed to be fun)
    Don't worry about your mistakes, keep playing even when (if) you balls up-no one will notice or care.
    Don't get too pissed (before, after is fine)

I guarantee when you finish and are unplugging, you'll wish you were playing one more-but it won't feel like tat as you're plugging in..... 

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522

Best of luck mate!

You'll probably need duct tape for something. Little tip for you there

All practice and no theory
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    That's really exciting to be getting out there for the first time.
    Remember that people are there to see the show, they're not coming to analyse or criticise your playing - so relax, enjoy it and don't worry if you make any mistakes (I'm sure no one else will even notice unless its a major clanger!).
    And don't forget to tune up and keep an eye on the tuning throughout!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    Thanks for the advice people. I've got spare cables, patch cables, psu cables, a back up guitar, strings and picks. The tech crew handle everything else and they're very well stocked.

I've already said I'll do next years show if they want me, and as I'm banging the MD (well, I'm married to her) I think I'm in.

I'm quite lucky in as much as it's rhythm guitar only, and not too prominent in the mix, apart from one number where I'm distorted and turned right up, so I can drop out if I need to. For a first taste of performing I've got quite a large safety net. 

I can't wait to get going now!

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4526
    Meet you for the after party .. its gonna be a good one
    @DesVegas Thanks mate, the after party is at the end of the 2 week run so I'll drop you an invite :)

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    hobbio said:
    I've already said I'll do next years show if they want me, and as I'm banging the MD (well, I'm married to her) I think I'm in.

lol, hilarious!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Make sure spare picks are within split second, easy reach unless you play fingerstyle, in which case make sure you know where your spare fingers are !

Good luck man.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4526
    Oh i'm sure there'll be a party tonight too : ) 

Well, it's done!

It went well, I dropped out on a couple of numbers but the most important thing is that I played the slide whistle perfectly. Roll on tomorrow's show!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Well done mate.

I started gigging at 15, I had horrendous stagefright but only regarding speaking, not playing. It eventually helped me overcome that and now presentations/delivering training is a part of my daily job. 
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Nice one mate, got the bug now?

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1