Backup, Backup Backup, oh and Backup again

In the middle of an EP project with a mate of mine, who called me a little anal for the amount of times I backed up the projects, swapping them on to removable drives etc etc . Just completed the last harmony overdub when the vocal strip plugin ( Nomad ) decided to crash on exit, didn't really think anything of it as it's not unknown for certain plugins to have a little fit on closing a project, especially if there have been a fair few takes etc etc . Booting up Logic the following day and opening the Project that had previously crashed, Logic became sluggish and generally a pita went through all the usual things, plugin validation checks , disc space , files being mis-named etc et. Even when Logic opened a different Project it was still slow and flaky, after much head scratching and checking the fun that is a Logic X re-installation and marrying it up to existing projects I had a little brainwave. I dug out the last backup of the project before the session that crashed, opened it up and voila  !! it all ran faultlessly. Somehow because the plugin crashed on exiting the project it had corrupted the project files and opening an old version did the job .
The moral is , never be afraid to backup....date them in the title for easy reference and oh yes make duplicates via an external hard drive, or my personal favourite a WD MyCloud 3Tb drive that hangs off of your router and can be accessed anywhere on your network or even remotely .
Happy Recording peeps ,,,I'm off for a celebratory glass of wine for saving hours of bloody hard work ;)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments