Broken headstock

What's Hot
So I had a guitar in the loft with a broken headstock which I was given years ago and I'm now feeling like I'd like to have a go at fixing it. So any help on where to start or how you would go about repairing it would be very helpful!
Some pictures (hopefully):

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Titebond original wood glue, some clamps & a bit of patience.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Spend a good few days researching headstock repairs on various forums so you can get an idea of what's involved.

Looks like it's had an attempt at a repair before?

If it was me, I would strip the tuners and it looks like it will pretty much pull apart, if you can, carefully separate it then spend as long as it takes to scrape off ALL the old glue from the previous glueing attempt (if applicable).

Once it's clean and you have ALL the old glue off the surfaces try test fitting it together. 3 or 4 times.

Once you are happy, get some Titebond Original glue liberally spread it on both surfaces of the break, fit the two pieces together and then clamp tightly using a couple of cauls - one front, one back to distribute the pressure. 

You can make these cauls yourself using a couple of pieces of wood wrapped in parcel tape (this will stop the glue sticking to the caul). 

Wipe away any excessive squeeze out with a damp cloth & leave for at least 24 hours. 

The longer the better. When you can wait no longer, gently remove the clamps, fit the tuners, re-string and gently return to pitch.

It you've preped, glued and clamped it properly your repair will be stronger that the wood that surrounds it.

That's what I would do/did anyway :-)

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16667
    edited January 2015
    I think he is right about a previous attempt to glue it.

Follow all the advice above for technique, but I would use a slow epoxy for the glue as it will stand a better chance than wood glue if there is still contamination in the wood.

I generally go with titebond for fresh breaks and epoxy for anything with potential contamination
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And clean up epoxy squeeze out with white spirit as a damp cloth will just make a mess on this glue
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Thanks a lot for the advice chaps.
    You're right that there had been a previous repair attempt (with wood glue I believe) but as its opened up I'm guessing that it wasn't strong enough - although being stored, with strings on, not in a case, in a loft which has wild temperature swings was never going to be a good idea!

@WezV I've not used epoxy before, is there a particular one you'd recommend (preferably available from Screwfix/Wickes so I can get it tonight).

@miserneil that repair you did in your thread is amazing, I can't believe how invisible it is on the headstock face - you managed to blend the new black in with the old really really well!
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.

i like z-poxy 30 min epoxy - but you won;t normally find that at screwfix or wickes

araldite is the brand you see everywhere.  Its harder to work  and really stinks.  its also harder to clean up

from those shops I would try this one

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Gorilla-Epoxy-25ml/p/121097

its quite a fast setting epoxy so your eally do need to practice your clamping method first.  don't mix any epoxy untill you are happy you can get it positioned and in clamps nice and quick.   also warm the epoxy first as it will flow a lot better.  Either stand it on a radiator or put the unopened tube in some hot water for a few minutes

It does say it only needs 30 mins to set, but still give it 24 hours in clamps before stringing

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    @BigMonka cheers! It's much appreciated!

Yes, it was a task and I must admit I thought I had bitten off more than I could chew at points but with a bit of patience (and inadvertently discovering a few tricks of the noted relic/aged refinishers) it is undistinguishable on the face.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Thanks @WezV I'll get some of that Gorilla Epoxy. The info on the website says you've got 5min of working time so, like you said, I'll have to try my clamping method a few times before hand or I might end up with the head firmly attached at some wonky angle!