iPhone as Sound Level Meter?

What's Hot
ROOGROOG Frets: 554

Do any of you have experience of using an iPhone as a sound level meter?

I have a need for a sound pressure level instrument, but I can't justify the expense of a commercial grade calibrated instrument, plus I tend to carry my iphone with me a lot of the time so it saves me carrying another thing about.

I expect to have to buy an additional 'plug in' microphone to be able to use it as a spl meter, and again if you have such a thing, or have used one I would be grateful if you could let me know how well it worked.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    I've used mine before. IT works quite well actually. Not as good as dedicated device, but significantly better than nothing
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 554
    I've used mine before. IT works quite well actually. Not as good as dedicated device, but significantly better than nothing

Hi @stickyfiddle did yours use the internal mic or external/additional one?

I'm not sure what 'app makers' claim with regards to accuracy when using the mic  in the phone.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    I just used the onboard mic on my old 3GS. The app was Decibel Meter I think. I had a mate doing a production diploma at the time and he compared with the proper kit and it was close enough for simple use. I can't remember exactly how close, but I think it was to within 1db or so right up to 110ish.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Thanks for the info @stickyfiddle and your comparison with a real meter is very helpful.

I guess I could always "add" a remote mic later if needed.

• The statement "I have a need" begs the question what for? As others have said they give an approximation but won't stand up in a court of law. For that you need properly calibrated equipment.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    The statement "I have a need" begs the question what for? As others have said they give an approximation but won't stand up in a court of law. For that you need properly calibrated equipment.

You are quite right @maltingsaudio I want something I can use as a "look-see" instrument that I can carry about, if I get a sniff of a problem I'll either hire a calibrated instrument or employ an acoustic consultant and they can bring their fancy £8k a pop meters with them.

I have asked them but they get a bit sniffy about this sort of stuff + they want the job!

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5773
    We had an issue with volume with our landlady at our last reheasal room....we'd keep an eye on it with just an iPhone-no extra mic at all, good for a rough estimate, but probably not accurate enough for legalities as others have said.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

I've spoken to my acoustics consultant, he tells me that there are calibrated external Mics, that work with iPhones and apps from Faber acoustics which cut it. Worth a look. I hope to borrow a UMIK-1 to test