A 2015 mod a Harley Benton guitar challenge?

What's Hot

Comments

• enteeentee Frets: 93
    That would be rather nice... how about an inhouse GAK range, where we order all the prototypes for models through you, eh @MarkGAK? ;D

I've recently bought two guitars from GAK, so would hope (expect) some discount!  lol
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ^Actually, I was joking, but that's not the worst idea in the world... if we could identify the best OEM factory in China, and then broker a bulk deal through a supplier, we could all custom order the instruments we would like, or order them with the spec that they would like to mod from... It would be much easier to do, and to co-ordinate, and to negotiate prices with a name like GAK behind us...
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11869
    that's like what Chappers did innit?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • entee said:
    That would be rather nice... how about an inhouse GAK range, where we order all the prototypes for models through you, eh @MarkGAK? ;D

I've recently bought two guitars from GAK, so would hope (expect) some discount!  lol
    Yeah, i've bought two guitars and a load of random gear from them in the past, so I would hope the same! ;D
  • that's like what Chappers did innit?
    Not quite, I don't mean a single democratically voted guitar model we all buy. I mean, we all spec out our own, which are ordered as single, separate, 'prototype' models, but through GAK's mediation and organisation. ie. people may be more confident of payment going through a large shop like GAK, and factories may be more amenable to discounts, if a large number of models are purchased, especially from an big name in the business.

Would it be too cheeky to go to Saein, who apparently manufacture Thomann's guitars for them? :P
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27419
    edited January 2015
    ^Actually, I was joking, but that's not the worst idea in the world... if we could identify the best OEM factory in China, and then broker a bulk deal through a supplier, we could all custom order the instruments we would like, or order them with the spec that they would like to mod from... It would be much easier to do, and to co-ordinate, and to negotiate prices with a name like GAK behind us...

It's not a bad idea, but I'm not sure how practical it would be either, unfortunately.

I'm guessing that Thomann order each HarleyB model in volume.  Probably 50+ units of the each model, with an identical spec, to get the prices down to those levels.  50+ units of 30ish models (I've not counted them!) = 1,500 units.  Guesstimate average landed cost of £60/unit, and that's a capital investment of c£100k.  Allow for the inevitable b-stock and "only fit for decoration" units, and you probably need to sell 75% of those units to break even.  And that's "break-even" purely in terms of the gross margin on the units - before you add in all the costs of running the Thomann empire.

So, plenty of risk, and fairly low ROI for the retailer, but OK for Thomann as I'm also guessing that they've got quite a high turnover given their massive market (Europe) and profile.

From looking at this thread, we'd probably generate 1 or 2 sales of each of c15-20 different models.  It's the number of different models and instruments available that makes the HB range so attractive for this challenge - there's something in there that generates a "must have that" or "no-brainer at that price" response from everyone who looks.

That's not a lot of business to get the factory interested, nor would it be a great incentive for a retailer to get involved, unless they were very confident that they'd be able to get a Thomann-style deal, and be able to shift the remainder of the units quickly (into a much smaller market, and in head-to-head competition with Thomann).

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Alas, 'tis but a pipe dream. Hopefully we'll get more info from Thomann.
  • I went ahead yesterday and bought my tele for the HB mod challenge. Am i screwed if you guys then go ahead and buy from Gak or otherwise? As long as I still can start a build thread and enter the mod challenge.

BTW what's the ethical problems with dv247? I use them quite a bit, but don't know anything about them? Should I be giving my hard earned money to some other company. I also use Gear4Music. Any ethical probs there?

Regards

Paul
    I went ahead yesterday and bought my tele for the HB mod challenge. Am i screwed if you guys then go ahead and buy from Gak or otherwise? 
    Impatient!!

No, you're not screwed, we'll still let you enter.  Or we might say that you'll just have to buy another one from GAK

:D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    TTony said:
    I went ahead yesterday and bought my tele for the HB mod challenge. Am i screwed if you guys then go ahead and buy from Gak or otherwise? 
    Impatient!!

No, you're not screwed, we'll still let you enter.  Or we might say that you'll just have to buy another one from GAK

:D

Don't worry @JudasVigilante, I bought mine too - we'll have our own challenge shall we?  lol  Not sure I can fund ANOTHER from GAK @TTony... ; pmsl
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16629
    Mine have just arrived.

Grand unboxing and initial thoughts after dinner
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17552
    tFB Trader
    I went ahead yesterday and bought my tele for the HB mod challenge. Am i screwed if you guys then go ahead and buy from Gak or otherwise? As long as I still can start a build thread and enter the mod challenge.

BTW what's the ethical problems with dv247? I use them quite a bit, but don't know anything about them? Should I be giving my hard earned money to some other company. I also use Gear4Music. Any ethical probs there?

Regards

Paul
    http://theeccentricblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/digital-village.html
  • Another option is Alan George Guitars. He imports Aeirsi brand guitars and has a good reputation amongst a few other groups.
    his Facebook

website

the range.

I'm another who may well end up with a HB- I SHOULD have vouchers to spend (& with a baby due next month it's the only way I'll get it past the wife!). I want a telecaster!!
  • Phew! thanks guys. I'm not doing it to win anything, just to do a mod diary and maybe gain some more expertise as it'll only be my third mod/build. Have no aspirations of winning whatever the prize is, if any! 
    Another option is Alan George Guitars.
    I might have to drop him an email too.

:)
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited January 2015
    WezV said:
    Mine have just arrived.

Grand unboxing and initial thoughts after dinner
    Get eating!!! 

TTony said:
    Another option is Alan George Guitars.
    I might have to drop him an email too.

:)
    I wondered if the relative small scale of his business might mean that the 20ish orders we're potentially bringing would make more of a difference to him than to a larger retailer... and thus mean we get a better deal. (Of course it could mean that his margins are lower and is unable to do a "deal". 
    Worth a try hopefully.

I wasn't actually going to join in- I held off on last years challenge due to lack of funds... I'm actually planning what I want to achieve- THAT'S a bad sign!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Not wishing to be party pooper, but why don't we just buy the damn Thomann guitars. The Euro's shit at the moment and their standard Tele can be had for under £50, or an easy under £60 with shipping. Why tye obsession for recognition?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    Not wishing to be party pooper, but why don't we just buy the damn Thomann guitars. The Euro's shit at the moment and their standard Tele can be had for under £50, or an easy under £60 with shipping. Why tye obsession for recognition?
    Lots of free publicity for them. That simple. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited January 2015
    Alan George do a 10 string classical guitar! and a gorgeous blue PRS copy  ;))

it's the promise of a Flying guitar that really has me hooked though! :D
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    dindude said:

Agreed. If they had been quick to respond, and maybe offered a small discount or prize, then fine. Since they haven't, I don't see the point in trawling around trying to find another retailer to do it. Unless I'm missing something (and I could be), getting some sort of deal with a retailer wasn't the point of it in the first place.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom