A 2015 mod a Harley Benton guitar challenge?

What's Hot

Comments

• Dalefty said:
    I would be interested in taking part in this, but due to work commitments, there is no way I could have it finish by the end of summer, I know that's still a long way off, but I work lots of hours and get very few hours off.

DaLefty.

There's been very little talk of a prize for the challenge recently. I'd say pull the trigger & join in!" I'll be lucky to complete my modding before the end of summer too, but there's no harm in that- I'm doing it for my own pleasure & the guys on here are VERY helpful and generous with their advice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NomadNomad Frets: 354
    edited March 2015

Been dithering about this for a little while. I considered getting one of the cheap lap steels, but wasn't sure what I'd do with it other than strip the black paint off and oil the wood - but then I found out that they're made of plywood. I've decided that it would be more interesting to build a lap steel from scratch. I had also considered a fretless bass ukulele, but that was a bit more pricey, and about the only thing I could think of was refinishing it, which I didn't fancy.

Then, when I worked out what it was going to cost me to get trained and equipped as a motorcyclist, I decided to knock the whole thing on the head and just concentrate on the home-brew lap steel, which, by now, was going to be an 8-string rather than a 6. Which meant that pickups could be a touch problematic (or expensive), which led me to consider making my own (aided by @mrchi's thread about winding pickups).

At this point, I realised that I know very little about winding pickups, and that 8-pole flatwork is expensive to ship from the US (cheap to buy, shipping is a joke), and probably a bugger to make from scratch. I needed to learn a bit, and that would be easier and cheaper if I use 6-pole flatwork which is available in the UK. This raised the issue of not having a dogbreath guitar to use for testing my winds.

So, I went to Thomann and ordered one of these...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbt30be_egitarre.htm

...and realised that, by a somewhat circuitous route, I had entered the HB challenge anyway. :)

To tell the truth, I like the look of the TE52 better - love the butterscotch Tele with black pickguard, but I didn't feel like spending another 30 quid, especially since that comes with better pickups. No particular plans as yet, other than making new pickups for it, but there is certainly scope for a bit of tinkering with other bits if the mood takes me.

Should arrive early next week, so I'll start a Project Dogbreath thread then and post my initial thoughts of it as delivered. Meanwhile, I'll be back in the workshop to work out the next bit of the lathe pickup winder and start shopping for pickup bits.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2801
    You're a wise man @Nomad putting cash into motorcycling has to be done I see to many people buying cheap crap gear, what will do bugger all in a crash, people always say to me "you spent over 400 quid on your helmet!" and I always say "I think my head is worth 400 quid"
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 499
    I've ben thinking more about this lately and am interested in doing it, I honestly don't care if there is a prize or not to be honest, I'm more interested in doing it for the sake of doing it plus I have a rather substantial Thomann voucher that needs to be used in the next one or two months.

Just so I'm cler on the rules

- There are no budget limitations
    - You have to use any one of the Thomann Harley Benton Electric Guitar Kits

Am I right or am I missing something rule wise?

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • cacophonycacophony Frets: 276
    i believe it doesn`t have to be a kit, just a guitar from the harley benton range. i may be wrong but that`s how i read it.
    The original idea was to modify a ready-made Harley Benton guitar, with a max purchase price for the guitar of £150. No limit on how much you spend on the mods. The idea is to turn it into a guitar that you'd be happy to gig, or hand to another guitarist to try out in the belief that they'd be suitably impressed. The Harley Benton kit thing kinda slipped in, but most are doing mods on ready-made guitars.

Nomad

• RolandRoland Frets: 1017
    edited March 2015
    As far as I know I'm the only who has used the kit this year.  It was the closest of the Harley Benton models to the specification I wanted.  When I added up the cost of all the parts I intended to swap it was also the cheapest route.  Thirdly, I really wanted to take part in last year's kit build challenge, but life got it the way, so using the kit this year was the next best thing.
    I think I'll do it, but I'll go the kit route like Roland did with his HB Tele kit, I'll order a kit tonight, and hopefully start on the project sometime in the next week or two.

DaLefty.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 1017
    What modifications are you planning?
    edited March 2015
    Roland said:
    You do realise that you're talking to a self admitted idiot who severed two of his own fingers - middle and ring fingers on my left hand, not with power tools, nor a knife, or even steel cabling snapping under tension, but with a bong while at work, yes you read that right, I managed to sever two of my own fingers with a bong.  Not only that but I even managed to get dumped because I contracted MRSA. 

What you're asking requires forethought and planning, not my strong point, infact if they where ever to hand out ''moron or idiot of the year awards'' I would dominate it and have several mantle places full of trophies, if you look up the words ''idiot'' or ''moron'' in the dictionary you will find my picture.

I'm just aiming to get the kit assembled without cutting off anymore fingers, or getting any new scars, anything aftrer that is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

DaLefty.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • themeinsidethemeinside Frets: 137
    Well, I'm sure that's fine, but that's not really the point of this challenge at all...

Dogbreath has arrived. Only had a quick unamplified twang at work so far, but it seems fine - playable action, tuned in okay, intonation pretty good. More later.

Nomad

edited March 2015
    Would it be against the rules for me to get one of our office interns - the really thick one, to do most of this challenge?  I'm not going to get him to do all of it, just the bitch work - you know the messy bits that always result in leaving you a massive clean up like sanding, the guy will learn something for once in his life, not to mention it will keep him out of my hair for at least a week or two, plus I'll probably curse at him less for those weeks.

Will that be against the rules?

DaLefty

If it makes any deiiference I was planning on giving him 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper and getting him to sand the sealer off the body.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1852
    Yes it's against rule 1 of The Fretboard
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Yes it's against rule 1 of The Fretboard

You can't blame a guy for trying.

DaLefty
  • zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 236
    Dalefty said:
    Roland said:
    You do realise that you're talking to a self admitted idiot who severed two of his own fingers - middle and ring fingers on my left hand, not with power tools, nor a knife, or even steel cabling snapping under tension, but with a bong while at work, yes you read that right, I managed to sever two of my own fingers with a bong.  Not only that but I even managed to get dumped because I contracted MRSA. 

What you're asking requires forethought and planning, not my strong point, infact if they where ever to hand out ''moron or idiot of the year awards'' I would dominate it and have several mantle places full of trophies, if you look up the words ''idiot'' or ''moron'' in the dictionary you will find my picture.

I'm just aiming to get the kit assembled without cutting off anymore fingers, or getting any new scars, anything aftrer that is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

DaLefty.
    Please, please tell me all of that's true.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Please, please tell me all of that's true.

Unfortunately it is

Would you like detailed instructions on how to sever your own fingers with a bong, or how to get dumped by getting MRSA?

You know these warnings you see on power tools and drugs about not operating dangerous or heavy machinery when under the influence of, well I'm the idiot these warnings are written for.

DaLefty
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2187
    We need the whole story here, were the fingers reattached?
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    Hertz32 said:
    We need the whole story here, were the fingers reattached?
    Let me walk take the dog for another walk and I'll post a full set of instructions after work, yes the fingers where reattached and I have roughly 70% of the strength and dexterity back in them, not enough for professional guitar use in my opinion hence why I went lefty, not to mention that because of the nerve damage, they don't feel like they are my fingers, they feel like dead weight attached to my hand, they have very little touch sensation in them, and they are constantly sore.

Dalefty
    edited March 2015
    I take it that it is cool for me to work on this challenge at work, where I keep all my tools? I really don't want to be splitting up my tools and having some at work, some at home, and inevitable loosing some of them - some of them are not cheap and not easy to replace.

DaLefty
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 261
    I'm giving participation some serious consideration but...

I've never done anything like this: do we get latitude for fuck ups and general failure of execution in the face of excess ambition?

Or do we get drummed out like the next mdphilips1956 for ruining a perfectly good guitar?
  • enteeentee Frets: 78
    I've never done THIS before either @Plukky so you're not alone. If nothing else I'm learning loads about guitars - and if I f*ck it up....ah well :-)
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow),  Gretsch 5135 PS, Danelectro DC59.  'Graick' 2312TVR.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 465
    You'll never get heat for having a go, it's a great way to learn and we love seeing the results.

But don't then call yourself what amounts to an expert luthier who "improves" well established, well engineered guitars and bridges whose work actually looks like a bodge job! 

I'm in the "enthusiastic amateur" category so I can do set-ups, clean and maintain and do a bit of soldering. I can build from parts and know what I'm aiming for. I can't do nut work though, no tools for that yet! Apparent,y MDPhillips doesn't have the right tools either!
  • Can I sign up for this please ?

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 1414
    I kind of forgot to post my GAS - I picked up a HB electric violin about a month or so ago, plus a "Don't Fret" sticker which is a superb idea for complete n00bs like me! No idea if I'll keep it, but for £100ish it's quite fun so far to muck about on.

Guitars: PRS Paul's Guitar, PRS S2 Cu22s/h, Trini Lopez tribute, Fusion Guitars T-style, Taylor 314ce-K Ltd
  • I kind of forgot to post my GAS - I picked up a HB electric violin about a month or so ago, plus a "Don't Fret" sticker which is a superb idea for complete n00bs like me! No idea if I'll keep it, but for £100ish it's quite fun so far to muck about on.

That's pretty neat actually.  Whats it sound like in drop D :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Needs a Bigsby
  • Is it too late to join in? I've just got one of their 335-a-likes with a view to modding it.
  • enteeentee Frets: 78
    Is it too late to join in? I've just got one of their 335-a-likes with a view to modding it.
    It runs until summer sometime, so I would guess you have plenty of time  :)
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow),  Gretsch 5135 PS, Danelectro DC59.  'Graick' 2312TVR.