A 2015 mod a Harley Benton guitar challenge?

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    Alnico said:
    Yes i agree, a patch would be difficult. I think it will require a full headstock refinish to get rid or change it.
    Yes - but that's not a major piece of work, so I'd still say the sandpaper route is the most practical, and then just oil/wax the face of the nuded headstock.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ^Oooh matron :O
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    edited January 2015
    I may have abandoned my initial EVH Women and Children First cover Destroyer/Explorer idea for turning this

into this

...well kinda anyway!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    i`d love to do this, but the wife would be wearing my knackers as ear rings if i bought another one so soon. (got a strat two weeks ago), but i will be following this challenge with great interest. i can`t wait to hear the opinions of the participants on the standard of the guitars as they arrive "straight out the box".finish, `feel`, playability etc...

"let the games begin!"
  • cacophony;484997" said:
    i`d love to do this, but the wife would be wearing my knackers as ear rings if i bought another one so soon. (got a strat two weeks ago), but i will be following this challenge with great interest. i can`t wait to hear the opinions of the participants on the standard of the guitars as they arrive "straight out the box".finish, `feel`, playability etc...

"let the games begin!"
    My guess?

Plastic, horrible, sticky, bad frets, won't hold tune.

But that's what this is all for... :)

I might get my first set of nut files. Problem is, they're so bloody expensive! I need to redo the one of the PRS, I've got it acceptable for trem usage but you can't bend strings. And if you do, using the trem puts the tuning right again! So bizarre, and very definitely the nut (occasionally hear the d and g strings click).

I might see how wez did his budget nut thing again.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    There was briefly talk of a set of forum tools? 

Could be worth investing in something like this personally if you are thinking of participating anyway 
    (All prices rounded up to nearest £)

Tool set £25
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/cruztools_stagehead_compact_tech_kit.htm ;
    And you can get Thomann own brand fret shaping file for £14 

Might be of use to someone doing the challenge :) 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
    Hertz32 said:
    There was briefly talk of a set of forum tools? 

Could be worth investing in something like this personally if you are thinking of participating anyway 
    (All prices rounded up to nearest £)

Tool set £25
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/cruztools_stagehead_compact_tech_kit.htm ;
    And you can get Thomann own brand fret shaping file for £14 

Might be of use to someone doing the challenge :) 

excellent links

btw I have used the aluminum tape sold for use with Kingspan, works very well for me, Very cheap
    I've insulated a few guitars and head cabs with it
    It's flexible enough to insulate pickup routes too, but it can affect the tone I have heard
    Worth thinking of insulating the pickup switch route on an LP style I think - you have un shielded bits of cable in there

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Anyone any idea if the Thomann bolt-on necks are std fittings ?  (Right dimensions, round end for a Strat, square for a Tele etc ... )
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • 2'53" on this Crimson Guitars vid be of interest regarding nut files ....

http://youtu.be/Lrpn5gITxa8?t=2m53s
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Thread hijack, apologies for this, but I have a vague idea in my head about a guitar/bass I would like to build. But I need a through neck, preferably fretted, as my starting point. I feel bad about chopping up a finished guitar even if it is a cheap guitar to start with. Any suggestions guys? Thanks.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

This ...

... is on the bay of Evil?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    How long are we giving Thomann  to take part.  My order finger is getting itchy!!
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    edited January 2015

I have never built a guitar but so WANNA have a go.....tempted to join this even though I have no wood working tools, so it would have to be pup, paint and controls change for me....  I'll throw my hat in the probably corner!

I'm in! @TTony ; 'er indoors, she say yes  lol  Probably the Pearloid LP; P-rails for splitting, possibly a Bigsby, and will try to 'enhance' the paint....

Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited January 2015
    WezV said:
    How long are we giving Thomann  to take part ?
    I wondered - it definitely looks like an over-stock clear out.  Bit like Creme Eggs - they won't be around forever .... ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    WezV said:
    I wondered - it definitely looks like an over-stock clear out.  Bit like Creme Eggs - they won't be around forever .... ;)
    I emailed them about 24hrs ago.  Give them e little time to consider it.
  • Jalapeno said:
    WezV said:
    Yes indeed, want to get going :D
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    Jalapeno said:
    Anyone any idea if the Thomann bolt-on necks are std fittings ?  (Right dimensions, round end for a Strat, square for a Tele etc ... )
    I was thinking about that - obv upgrade for Tele/Strat would be better neck, but not if non standard sizes...  This will affect my choice too
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
    TTony;485772" said:
    Jalapeno said:

WezV said:

I emailed them about 24hrs ago.  Give them e little time to consider it.
    You are too generous. I want an answer now dammit :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I was only half joking above.   I did order anyway, 2 reasons

1) I needed an unusual shaped case from them pretty quickly, so was placing an order anyway

2) changing stock levels - I was going to go for a B-stock shorty but they had gone.  I also wanted a B-stock mini RG and they were still available at the moment

So I have an unblemished shorty AND a B-stock mini RG on the way to me, as well as a explorer gigbag* which i hope a moderne will fit into. All for a lot less than a good night out

* i had one of the explorer gig bags a few years ago.  it was great quality and I am fairly sure i spent a lot more than the £13 they are now

• I'm SERIOUSLY tempted… I'm waiting to see if I get vouchers for some reviews, IF I do, then I may be able to persuade Mrs LostSon to let me join in the fun!

I'm thinking of doing the natural Tele shape: stripped of nasty poly, oiled finish throughout. Brass bridge, reshape & relogo on the headstock. Possibly a pick guard made out of an old LP (I have a copy of "The River" that's unplayable due to a scratch) Slight relicing IF I can work out how to achieve it… going for a Springsteen style Born To Run tele vibe.

So I'm a maybe… But will be watching with interest (especially as packages start arriving and the overall quality becomes clear).