Stuff!

What's Hot
MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
Well, having not seen that there was a tEMP forum I've been jonesing good and proper...

So in the mean time... 

I fell down some stairs and re-tore my rotator cuff, which was... fun?

I bought and build an HTPC computer - sort of...
Little dual core Intel G850, stuffed into a Z77 high end motherboard... till next week at least when more bits should arrive
Was infact the second motherboard I tried - first one did nothing... turns out it's the RAM but the more expensive motherboard has a built-in make-semiduff-ram-work feature tried it without ram and it made all the right beeps and whirry noises it was meant to... 
That little HTPC set up is currently stuffed into a full size tower case which doesnt fit in the living room very well, and has a hard drive that sounds like a chain saw, so is currently not the most successful experiment... but... the payday is yet young...

I bought some books to read, I now have a veritable library of stuff that needs reading... by the end of it if I don't know how to design/build/rebuild/break/hack/secure one or more computer network then I'll have to be an eejit.

And I loafed about a bit... eaten waay too much pizza - hurty dominant arm means cooking isn't fun, so take away is great.Of course that has meant that I'm probably going to run out of money for food, feel bloated and greasy... 

Mostly, been bored though.

How's y'all been doing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I wrote musics.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890

I haz the bad back,  spending too much time on the xbox as sitting on the floor seems more comfortable than sitting in chairs or lying in bed.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I went to Thailand, ate and drank myself into a relaxed state then came back.
    Then I did some audio work and pratted about here.
    Today I bought a Roku box.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Drew_fx said:
    I wrote musics.
    Yeah, it might have been a good idea if I'd done this...
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I gotted ill. (but that was before)

I've had multiple hospital tests.

I did go and play at the Cambridge blues jam, with the awesomes @Viz, and @Bigjon

I also did some of that work thing when the forums was broken

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    Trapped nerve in neck and referred pain down the arm means I haven't touched a guitar in anger for three weeks. I can't sleep properly as there is no comfortable position. It also means that there's not much I can do, most positions lead to discomfort.

To add to the mix I took some anti-inflammatories yesterday (on the advice of my physio) and they kept me welded to the bog all night, despite eating them with food as directed. Working from home today, didn't dare do the 90-minute train(s) journey to client.

Add to that the residual discomfort from a dental extraction and I'm a really chirpy, happy, smiling chap today.

Grrrrr
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361

I did loads of DIY and decorating 'n shit.

I went to my ex wife's wedding and took the photos. That was kinda weird, but my kids were there so that made it easier. And the photos turned out ok, you can hardly see the ex's horns, hooves and spiky tail.

I went away for the weekend with my g/f. We did a tour round a vineyard in Gloucestershire and had wine tastings. It was ok, but I wouldn't spend the £14 a bottle they wanted for a blended white when Oyster Bay stuff is a tenner and way better. Then we stayed a couple of nights in a hotel near Ross on Wye and had gourmet meals and just chilled out. Which was nice.

I bought a shiny new-ish car. It's a Jaguar XF and I loves it I do. 

Oh, I planned a lot of DIY... but need a truckload of MDF, a router, some sort of powered cutty tool, paint, grainfiller etc.. oh and two fully working arms...
  • the gf spent her usual w/e with me :) we cooked roast beef for some long-time drinking companions of mine which we all enjoyed and then did the Port & Cheese Ceremony, which 3 of us enjoyed but the gf doesn't like port so I drank hers ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26567
    I helped build a forum (a bit) :D

Found an amazing singer and started a band (really excited about this one).

Erm.

Not a lot else, really.

@Myranda - out of curiosity, why didn't you just use a Pi for the front end and something else for storage?
    <space for hire>
    digitalscream said:@Myranda - out of curiosity, why didn't you just use a Pi for the front end and something else for storage?
    This is easy... Netflix

The Pi operating systems can't yet do netflix, so far the closest anyone has managed is having another machine access netflix and use a Pi as a thinclient - seems a waste, after all if you've already got a machine netflicking, then just use that...

Of course, Netflix did announce (two months ago) that its moving to HTML5 instead of silverlight, but it seems to be painfully slow in the execution of that - probably because of the DRM features of Silverlight which make it harder to pirate stuff, which keeps the studios happy enough to keep supplying shows and films...

Also, the Pi-Net is still not fully up and running so don't want to use Pis for other projects just yet
    Ah, fair enough. All the content I play on my Pi HTPC is...erm..."DRM free" ;)
    <space for hire>
    I've got many films/shows on disk which the Pi could probably manage fine (assuming Codecs are available for DVD or Bluray)... but the HTPC in the living room is for my mother to use for watching films and TV (and getting emails and doing ebay stuff). I don't really trust her around breakable media or disk drives... so giving her a very small computer with a keyboard+mouse that has nowt else on it seemed the safest plan.

This is a woman who could accidentally break air so I don't want her touching things that can't readily be replaced...

Other things I've been doing is watching films - got told off for laughing during a "horror" film at the cinema "do you HAVE to keep laughing?!" - " Yes you silly bitch I do, every time this movie throws another obvious horrorfilm trope at me I will chuckle! " if a film is funny why is laughing wrong?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28125
    I yet again proved that I am the king of the entire freakin' inferweb.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    I yet again proved that I am the king of the entire freakin' inferweb.
    If only the internet-constitution allowed you to be crowned emperor, but those frankly racist anti-otter rules just refuse to go away... damn their shortsightedness 
    Oh... had meant to ask - is the forum atting twatter-esque "@" to names or are people voluntarily doing that hideous thing?

I almost vomitted in someones face because they said "hashtag" as a preface to their next word... 

Somethings just shouldn't make their way into "normal" communication
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17599
    tFB Trader
    Raspbmc FTW!
    Myranda said:
    Oh... had meant to ask - is the forum atting twatter-esque "@" to names or are people voluntarily doing that hideous thing?

I almost vomitted in someones face because they said "hashtag" as a preface to their next word... 

People are doing it voluntarily - this forum has the ability to tag people in threads they're not a part of, so they get a notification and thus get dragged into whatever argument is going on.
    <space for hire>
    Raspbmc FTW!
    Would be even better if you could run Netflix, and not sure iPlayer works either :(
    Myranda said:

People are doing it voluntarily - this forum has the ability to tag people in threads they're not a part of, so they get a notification and thus get dragged into whatever argument is going on.
    Can't some nice scripting thing hide the visible nature of it when posted? It looks very ... common