Drum Machine or VST?

The drum machine in my Zoom G3 FX pedal is but limited to say the least so I've been pondering my options.
Bit of background, my "studio" so far consists of guitar, Zoom G3 and an iMac with Garageband, awesome I know.
So the options are some sort of VST to use in Garageband or a hardware drum machine.
A usual I'm not looking to spend a fortune, probably £75 as I'm hoping I win a pair of monitor speakers all being well and the car insurance and MOT are due in the next 2 weeks.
If I go the hardware route will it just drop into my current setup somehow or will I need something mixing desk shaped to bring them all together?
I await your wisdom.....
Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    What sort of drum sounds are you after? Metal, 70s rock, funk ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Fretwired;487998" said:
    What sort of drum sounds are you after? Metal, 70s rock, funk ....
    Be nice to have a few to choose from but mostly, blues, rock type stuff. Not good enough or fast enough for much else

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I'll throw you another idea .. loops. For £75 you can buy loads of loops and mash them up .. for example .. real drummer, real kit loads of tempos.

http://www.thelooploft.com/collections/wav-aiff-rex2/products/blues-drums-bundle-save-25

You'll have to pay more than £75 for a decent VST. I use Addictive Drums which is about £115 .. http://www.xlnaudio.com/addictivedrums/

Or a second hand Alesis SR16 drum machine

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Lost out on a few Alesis so I'll take a look at the loops, never though of that, should have, used to make dance music

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919

Have you tried the drums in garageband?

The virtual drummer thing is actually really good once you get the hang of it. As in REALLY GOOD.

But you can also create your own drum tracks with the software drums in GB. Has an 808 sim, which is coooooool.

gusman2x;488713" said:
    Have you tried the drums in garageband?The virtual drummer thing is actually really good once you get the hang of it. As in REALLY GOOD.But you can also create your own drum tracks with the software drums in GB. Has an 808 sim, which is coooooool.
    My imac doesn't run the latest GB, it's a 2006 one, ancient. Probably due an upgrade

• XLN Audio looks good - easy to use? Does it have a brain so it can just play to a beat without you having to program much?

What do people here think of jamstix? That's what I used to use.
  • Simplest (and cheapest) way to do drums in Garageband is to create a midi region and create your own patterns through the piano roll.

I do a lot of drum programming in Logic - I grew up with 4-tracks and drum machines with one-line lcd screens, so having a full screen and mouse/keyboard to place notes is much less tedious. I've never got round to buying an external drum instrument, just use the Logic samples (and often, the Garageband drumkits, which are accessible in Logic).

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    do you have a tablet or smartphone? There are some decent drum machine apps out there, I use Electrum on my Android tablet.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I'm currently torn between getting Drum Perfect for my iPad or getting a seconds hand SR16 (loads on evilbay at the moment). At the mo I mainly record into iOS Garageband but I also have Ableton and I want to transition to that when I have mics.

I think I'd prefer having the actual SR16 hardware in my hands, but the app is a bit cheaper and probably makes more sense right now.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread