Behringer mixer? Can it be relied upon to gig with?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    close2u said:

Many thanks for all the comments so far - keep them coming if you have experience of them.

I am surprised at people saying they are reliable ... albeit noting that the caveat suggests they will either break quickly or last quite well.

Note: I am only talking about the mixer at this stage.

Although one of buying options we are considering also has a Behringer power amp.

I wouldn't. Eggs in one basket and all that.  Keep 'em apart - then you can get Power amp or get powered speakers.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    If you want cheap but reliable power amps use Peavey.

They are well built with a 5 year guarantee and provide clear punch. Even used they represent excellent value for money.

Behringer PA amps and speakers are dull and gutless.

Because of the quality (or lack of) in components with behringer you might find that setting two channels the same won't result in two identical sounds.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    We bought one of the higher end Behringer mixers for my band. It arrived with a fault, we then sent it back and the next one we received also had a fault. 

We sent that one back and bought an Allen and Heath mixer costing about 5 times the price which works perfectly.
    Ha Ha, yeah I had to buy 3 Behringer ADA8000's before I received one that worked, had it not been such a useful bit of kit for the money I would have given up !

@ICBM mmmm saying something is slightly more reliable then an Ashdown is like saying Mussolini was slightly better than Hitler :) 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Hooray !!!!! I call Godwin.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    We bought one of the higher end Behringer mixers for my band. It arrived with a fault, we then sent it back and the next one we received also had a fault. 

We sent that one back and bought an Allen and Heath mixer costing about 5 times the price which works perfectly.
    Ha Ha, yeah I had to buy 3 Behringer ADA8000's before I received one that worked, had it not been such a useful bit of kit for the money I would have given up !

Mine worked first time...althoughI havent used it for a while.....
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • @danny1969  Your right it depends on what your doing and who's doing the doing and what you hope to achieve. My jobs vary so much I use different tools for different jobs but then I'm the one twiddling the knobs so I can choose. I will admit to seriously thinking about using an ipad as an addition to the desk and core but would never simply rely on it there are too many extra variables like drop out crashes and flat battery's etc to consider which makes it a handy add on but I'm still belt and braces on shows. I know you can say its not happened in my  experience but it could! 

To address the Behringer thing as pointed out some work some work well some don't its the luck of the draw and when they chuck out as many products as they do its not surprising this is so
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • I always found the smaller Euro racks to be harsh sounding and quite noisy.The Xenyx that came later was much better.

Would I gig with one?... Not by choice. But if money is tight, options are limited.

If you go to a shop with a load of PA stock and actually A/B some stuff, you might be surprised how much of a difference a few hundred quid makes to the sound quality.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Dammit  @Jalapeno you beat me to it!
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    ICBM said:
    Danny1969 said:

Did you see my previous post about Behringer powered stuff and that includes standalone amps .... avoid 
    I would agree with that, although their bass amps - the ones that look like Ashdowns - are fine... actually much better built and more reliable than Ashdowns :).
    We're not setting the bar too high here are we.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    jpfamps said:
    ICBM said:
    Danny1969 said:

Did you see my previous post about Behringer powered stuff and that includes standalone amps .... avoid 
    I would agree with that, although their bass amps - the ones that look like Ashdowns - are fine... actually much better built and more reliable than Ashdowns :).
    No :).

But to be fair, the Behringers are much better designed, as well as built - the power section cooling is done properly with the fan coupled directly to a very large tunnel heatsink which is properly bolted to the chassis, rather than being on two small (but still heavy) ones on a PCB so they can flex it and crack it, and with a fan that just farts in their general direction…

The only problem is that if you do ever get a transistor failure, the only way to replace it is to unsolder *everything* on the board that's attached to the heatsink - which is a lot - before you can get it off and at the transistors. So the only dead one I've ever seen was an economic write-off. (Or at least the customer didn't want to pay the quote, it might have been just about on otherwise.)

Par for the course with Behringer… works until it doesn't, then scrap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    ICBM said:
    jpfamps said:
    ICBM said:
    Danny1969 said:

No :).

But to be fair, the Behringers are much better designed, as well as built - the power section cooling is done properly with the fan coupled directly to a very large tunnel heatsink which is properly bolted to the chassis, rather than being on two small (but still heavy) ones on a PCB so they can flex it and crack it, and with a fan that just farts in their general direction…

The only problem is that if you do ever get a transistor failure, the only way to replace it is to unsolder *everything* on the board that's attached to the heatsink - which is a lot - before you can get it off and at the transistors. So the only dead one I've ever seen was an economic write-off. (Or at least the customer didn't want to pay the quote, it might have been just about on otherwise.)

Par for the course with Behringer… works until it doesn't, then scrap.
    What I like about the Ashdowns is that cooling fan slows down as you drive the amp harder!

I've seen very little Behringer gear for repair, and virtually all of it has been "beyond economic repair", ie the customer didn't want to pay me what I quoted to fix it.

There are a small number of people who seem to object to paying for my time to repair their equipment, and my guess is that Behringer owners are over represented in this category.