Cheapo SG thing.

shadyshady Frets: 252
edited January 2015 in Making & Modding
You may remember this 20 quid Cash Generator find from a little while ago.  Kinda nasty.  The bridge pickup was harsh and muddy all at the same time...never thought that was possible...

Well, as of this afternnoon it now looks like this.

Warman HBP90 in the bridge and Vanson '57 alnico II in the neck.  Pickup configuration may divide opinion I s'pose, but they compliment each other very well and it has no right to sound as good as it does given the price of them...

Erased the 'SD Standard' from the elf door and covered the headstock with an acrylic sticker.  That logo looked like a bag of wank.

Had some fun with m'knob choice.

Arty farty Photobucket edit to finish.  Loadsa fun for little outlay. 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Looks a major improvement to me....and I'm sure it sounds it too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I'm waiting for a set of warmans to arrive
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16638
    I have got a few people i do work for who love Warman's.   They all keep trying to tell me they are as good as [insert name of famous handmade pickup here]- until I hand them a BKP, Bulldog or ASL equipped guitar

they are alright, especially for the price.  they are not as good as BKP, but then at 10% of the price of BKP's I am okay with that.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    That's why I've got them on order gas fund is none existent
  • shadyshady Frets: 252

Fuck all wrong with that P90 really, not amazing on cleans but nicely grin worthy with fuzz...although not quite as sexy as the Duncan Designed dog ear jobbies in my Squier Tele Custom, like those muchly.

The middle position works well with a bit of knob twiddling. 

The Vanson 'bucker is surprisingly good for the cash. I wanted summat smooth for the neck and it is just that - according to the spec's the alnico II's are 7.3k, the Warman 8k-ish so my logic fancied they'd be a good pairing, although the 'bucker is a bit louder.  Might lower it a wee bit tomorrow.  It is a more dynamic/touch sensitive affair than my other neck 'bucker equipped planks, playing through a like-wise OD pedal, touch of plate reverb and tremolo I had an involuntary, "Aw fek - that's gorgeous" moment...  

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Excellent - single in the bridge and HB at the neck is of course a much better arrangement than the alternative.

Good work :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • @shady nice one. enjoy :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Nice work. What brand of SG (copy) is it? Looking good and sounding good too I bet. Good job.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    speshul91;489163" said:
    That's why I've got them on order gas fund is none existent
    A tear has been shed in your direction matey. Sad business all round. :(
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    shady;32419" said:
    You may remember this 20 quid Cash Generator find from a little while ago.  Kinda nasty.  The bridge pickup was harsh and muddy all at the same time...never thought that was possible...

Well, as of this afternnoon it now looks like this.

Warman HBP90 in the bridge and Vanson '57 alnico II in the neck.  Pickup configuration may divide opinion I s'pose, but they compliment each other very well and it has no right to sound as good as it does given the price of them...

Erased the 'SD Standard' from the elf door and covered the headstock with an acrylic sticker.  That logo looked like a bag of wank.

Had some fun with m'knob choice.

Arty farty Photobucket edit to finish.  Loadsa fun for little outlay. 
    Dude, no brainer for the outlay! Sterling effort. Do you gig it?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    Nice work. What brand of SG (copy) is it? Looking good and sounding good too I bet. Good job.

Cheers chap, it's a Coxx (?)...yeah - me either.  It has the same flaming torch-like logo as my Tanglewood LP so I presume it came from the factory, although it ain't quite as well built.  A wee bit of neck whip and I have a G string binding in the nut, oo-er missus.

jd0272 said: 

Dude, no brainer for the outlay! Sterling effort. Do you gig it?

I don't gig fella, you wouldn't be afraid of dinging it up though, that's for sure. 

I took some fine grade sand paper to the back of the neck due to the overly sticky finish, but that has highlighted some inconsistent finishing and bared a strip of wood a couple of mm thick by finger board and one other small area at the back of the neck, no bother though as it all feels much smoother 

Another side effect of that sanding made the finger board edges feel sharp, so I rolled some sand paper around a permanent marker and softened the edges...which worked really well to be fair.

Once I've got that nut slot for the binding G string sorted it'll be perfect for a piece o'shite rescue mission.