country of manufacture - am I being daft

What's Hot
paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 841
edited January 2015 in Acoustics
After trying LOTS of possible guitars, Im pretty much down to two.  I havent tried any Larrivee as I cant find any local - and they may be an option - however.

I have tried many guitars against each other, with lots have plus and neg points but I keep coming back to a Martin 000RSGT.  Not that surprising as I looked at more expensive instruments a few months back and kept coming back to the 000 range (along with a Lowden S series - which is way too expensive to consider here).  The other possibility is also a Martin , a 00016GT.

I havent been able to compare the two directly though - so its tough to choose.

The RSGTs sticking point is it being a Mexican rather than US build.  Tonally its really nice and balanced.   Perhaps a little light in body and a little light in top end presence, but guitars that had that in my range just seemed hollow in the midrange with no sweetness.  thye 00016GT did appear to have a little more of the top end HOWEVER, wthis was in a different environment and not compared to anything else so I cant really trust that opinion.

So - the differences would seem to be, the RSGT is Mexican, Sapele (whatever) back/sides and has electrics.  It has the OM scale length with the 000 nut width.  Tonally its the best balanced in my price range from anything I have tried it against.  The 16GT is £100 more and has no electrics.  It is however US built, uses mahogony back/sides and has the correct 000 scale length.

If the RSGT was US built Id probably have that as its been tested to death.  If the 16GT had electrics Id probably take the chance with it being US built and sounded good in isolation.  However neither are the case - so Im at a loss.  Ultimately I want electrics but its not essential right now - and with the GT I can fit later - and choose what type.  Its the acoustic tone thats most important.

I cant seem to get past the non US build of the rsgt,

Any guidance at all here?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Can't vouch for Martin's Mexican production but Taylor's Mexican output is superb - the factory is only about 40 miles from their Californian facility and is very well managed.

I am from a generation which was very snobby about guitars 'having' to be American - I'm not anymore. Good guitars come from all over these days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Objectively, the country of manufacture shouldn't matter. But we're not objective, and it sounds like the country of manufacture does matter to you. So pay the extra, get the US model.

The lack of electrics is actually an advantage (as @ICBM would probably tell you) because you can then choose your own pickup and preamp to install.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26953
    My thoughts: 

Don't buy either without trying first. 
    Don't worry about where stuff is made. Often going for something made in Asia can get you a better guitar for the price
    That said, if you *do* really want a US guitar, nothing else will be good enough. Buy a keeper, and actually keep it forever. The extra £100 will be meaningless after a couple of years.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    The fact that you've posted means you need the USA-built guitar, and if you get one built elsewhere you'll always think that it's not quite up to scratch.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    Chances are, the US guitar will probably have a better resale value if you come to sell in the future.

If you can find one, try a Larrivee though - I bought a Martin HD28 a few years back - I tried a lot before picking the one I've got, but at the time I was really torn between that and a Larrivee which I had tried by chance (can't remember the model). Every time I picked up the Larrivee, which was considerably cheaper it sounded and felt great. 

In the end it came down to the fact that I'd always wanted a HD28 and that the Martin would be easier to sell if I wanted to in the future (Think it's a keeper though!!)
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
  • I have tried both guitars, just not at the same time/place so no direct comparison.

Im also not against "non US" built guitars as such.  Just feel that with something like a Martin, would I regret not having a US built model if I could stretch to it.  Its not like its an offshore manufacturer like Faith, Freshman or Avian.  If one of those, or any other built exclusively offshore, were options tonally/play-ability wise then I wouldn't have an issue.

I bought a Mex Fender Strat - only to replace it with a US one a couple of years later.  I wouldnt buy a PRS SE or Suhr Rasmus - If I had one of those makes (I actually have both) it would have to be a US one.  Wouldnt feel right any other way.

Also - I kind of want an acoustic in the same quality bracket as my electrics - those being 2 US Fenders, 2 US PRSs, a Suhr Modern and a 335.  Im not sure if the 16GT is quite that high - but the RSGT almost certainly isnt.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    edited January 2015
    Personally I am not really fussed where something comes from, whether it be America, Mexico or China.

The main thing is that I am happy with my choice and the price I paid.

I chose a Squire CV Strat over an American Special as it felt, played and sounded better to me, and I prefer it over the other Mexican made fenders that I have owned.

My Martin LXM is made in Mexico and not even made of any solid wood (apart from bracing) and I am very happy with it. My only regret is that now I have a looper is that I didn't get the LXME with a preamp, so bare that in mind.

However, as said above, if you want an American made Martin, but buy a Mexican, you may still want that American one down the line.

Just add, its your money and your choice. Get the one you want and enjoy it.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    Have you tried the Martin OM-1GT? It's American made and costs about the same as the 000RSGT. No electrics though, but can be fitted etc. - https://www.martinguitar.com/model/item/166-om-1gt.html - I really like mine.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Do US made guitars really sound better?
    I've had a couple of American dogs in the past before I knew what makes a good guitar.
    Isn't the high price of US made guitars just down to the higher labour costs?
    Considering most manufacturers use CNC machinery, there's no magic handiwork involved apart from the very last finishing stages.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    I have had a similar discussion recently over Fender USa vs Fender Mexico

We concluded - does it make any difference if your guitar is made by a Mexican worker in USA or a Mexican worker in Mexico?

If the parts and materials were the same it'd have to come down to which was thebetter sounding or better playing guitar.
    Sometimes the USA made stuff may have to cut more corners to match the price point with higher labour costs to factor in, than the Mexican made product.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    A good guitar is a good guitar wherever it's made, or indeed what it's made of. I have a bit of a thing for Fernandes Ravelles, I have two and want another. They're made in China, I didn't know this for a while and they are better guitars than the US made Les Pauls I've owned.
  • I took my Alvarez Masterworks OM (Cedar/Rosewood) to an open mic where I gave it to a martin D35 owner who hadn't heard of the brand, he was amazed at the quality and sound and couldn't believe it was made in china until he looked inside... That being said I just took delivery of a Larrivee D-40r (american made) and its equally well made but obviously sounds different.. 

If you're looking for OM size the Alvarez masterworks (not the cheaper lines, they suffer from inferior electrics) are great, I can also vouch for Larrivee quality although you're paying slightly for the american made-ness. 

https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management

• I would go for the all wood Martin and add your own electrics later on. You are getting more guitar for the money and not paying for the electrics I did this and am very happy with my D15  Also they get better with age and use My Martin sounds much  better after 5 years