Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitarists Who Are Better Than Most Would Think?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850

There's quite a few of these too I can think of and I'm sure you all can.

I'll just start it with 1 name though.

My pick is Gary Kemp - Spandau Ballet. Yes, really, Gary Kemp.

Over to you.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3899
    Captain Sensible.
  • Midge Ure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    ricky warwick (the almighty/thin lizzy) way better lead player than he gets credit for. He's not just a rhythm player.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    Lloyd Cole

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Prince for sure who is severely underrated.

I would add.

Mick Ronson
    Mick Jones
    Lindsey Buckingham

And of course George Harrison.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Steve Jones of the Sex pistols.

I'll also agree with all of the others.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Andy Taylor - Duran Duran, power station etc
  • Another one who springs to mind is Sting. I saw him on his first solo tour, where played guitar throughout.

As an encore he did Fleetwood Mac's 'Need Your Love So Bad'.

His lead playing was annoyingly good....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    jaygtr said:
    John Taylor on bass even more so, but that's another thread probably...

For some reason "proper" bass players don't seem to rate him, I have no idea why. Maybe because he never played anything that could pass for any form of jazz ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Another one who springs to mind is Sting. I saw him on his first solo tour, where played guitar throughout.

As an encore he did Fleetwood Mac's 'Need Your Love So Bad'.

His lead playing was annoyingly good....
    But he is a wanker.

+1 for Captain Sensible.

And my nomination for more better than you think guitarist is Julian Cope.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Not a big fan of their music, but in a pop context I'm always surprised by the tone and style of Coldplay geezer (no idea what his name is), especially in live footage.
  • I'm surprised to see some of the names in this thread, mainly because my only exposure to a lot of them has been the radio, which can portray people as a limited part of who they really are.  Seeing people live(or live footage at least) changes that perception a lot of times.  I used to think Keef was just a lazy rhythm player who relied on alternate tunings to make his job easier until I saw a live clip of the Stones playing "Sympathy For the Devil" and he let fly with an extended solo that blew me away. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    ICBM;47484" said:
    jaygtr said:

For some reason "proper" bass players don't seem to rate him, I have no idea why. Maybe because he never played anything that could pass for any form of jazz ;).

I think the whole band were somewhat underrated, I suspect this was largely to do with their image, and their target audience in the early 80's.
    I saw them live (my first gig) and they were real pro's.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    edited October 2013
    Nik Kershaw...

Also I saw Craig McLachlan of Neighbours fame playing Hot For Teacher on TV once.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Andrew Gold...
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I'm surprised to see some of the names in this thread, mainly because my only exposure to a lot of them has been the radio, which can portray people as a limited part of who they really are.  Seeing people live(or live footage at least) changes that perception a lot of times.  I used to think Keef was just a lazy rhythm player who relied on alternate tunings to make his job easier until I saw a live clip of the Stones playing "Sympathy For the Devil" and he let fly with an extended solo that blew me away. 
    Must be an old clip, there's some footage from their recent gigs (IIRC on the offical Stones youtube channel) with a truly awful solo on Sympathy.
  • ICBM said:
    jaygtr said:

I'll go with both of these comments. 

On a slight aside, I saw Duran Duran at the Hyde Park Olympic opening gig, they were fantastic.  Stereophonic, on the other hand, sounded very meh.  I really expected it to be the other way around.  DD looked like they were enjoying it more too.
  • I'm surprised to see some of the names in this thread, mainly because my only exposure to a lot of them has been the radio, which can portray people as a limited part of who they really are.  Seeing people live(or live footage at least) changes that perception a lot of times.  I used to think Keef was just a lazy rhythm player who relied on alternate tunings to make his job easier until I saw a live clip of the Stones playing "Sympathy For the Devil" and he let fly with an extended solo that blew me away. 
    Must be an old clip, there's some footage from their recent gigs (IIRC on the offical Stones youtube channel) with a truly awful solo on Sympathy.
    It was, I think taped in France at an outdoor event in the late 70's(pre-wrinkle Mick & Keef).  I agree about the recent clips though.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    me

:)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

Nik Kershaw...

I got dragged along to a Nik Kershaw gig at the height of his fame and was amazed what a guitar heavy gig it was. Enormously enjoyable.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.