Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitarists Who Are Better Than Most Would Think?

What's Hot

Comments

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631

^^ Gulp. Almost got caught out watching that at work!

Didn't Arlen Roth have something to do with teaching Ralph Macchio how to mime in Crossroads?

Just tell them it's for research purposes.

What line of work are we talking about, ballpark?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Steve Craddock from Ocean Colur Scene. His live playing circa Moseley Shoals/Marching Already was hugely inspirational to me.

Steve Marriott is known more for his voice but his guitaring is pretty bloody good too.

The lads from McFly aren't too shabby either, I remember a former drummer lending me a live DVD (yes, he bought a McFly DVD), insisting I watch it. I didn't like admitting it at the time but they were very good.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306

I stand corrected on Ralph Macchio and Michael J Fox as t'internet shows they were taught to simulate their guitar parts.

Ta ETW :)

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    always happy to help the less fortunate...
    :bz
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6481
    edited October 2013
    Always rated Boz Boorer and Alain Whyte,not just as guitarist but also a great writing team.
    Good call! I chuffing LOVE their stuff with Morrissey.

And good call @FelineGuitars on the Status Quo chaps. Much better musicians than they are made out to be.

• Suzzana Hoffs from the Bangles

In a rush so will have to pick a video at random.

I must be gaining weight, my shorts feel a lot tighter for some reason.

:D
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26956
    Big +1s for Jonny Buckland (Coldplay) and The Edge. Both have a touch and note choice that isn't appreciated by most.

I'd also add Thom Yorke and Ed O'Brien from Radiohead. Greenwood always gets all the praise but 90% of the interesting guitar parts over their career have actually come from the other 2 players in the band, especially from Kid A onwards.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10267
    Big +1 for The Edge.My first guitar hero as a kid and also the reason I got into playing (badly) the guitar.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    Big +1s for Jonny Buckland (Coldplay) and The Edge. Both have a touch and note choice that isn't appreciated by most.

I'd also add Thom Yorke and Ed O'Brien from Radiohead. Greenwood always gets all the praise but 90% of the interesting guitar parts over their career have actually come from the other 2 players in the band, especially from Kid A onwards.
    Bang on.

Thom York is a belting guitarist. Picking out Paranoid Android ain't easy, never mind singing over it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3899

Bang on.

Thom York is a belting guitarist. Picking out Paranoid Android ain't easy, never mind singing over it.

Fair enough, but isn't it more Johnny Greenwood than TY?
    edited October 2013
    Oops.
    edited October 2013
    Deadman said:

Bang on.

No, it doesn't seem to be.
    I mean I'm sure they can all play it - and Yorke sort of half strums it live - but I'm assuming he came up with it. 
    I dunno, I'm not a huge fan of Johnny Greenwood myself. He makes some impressive noise though. 

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    Almost forgot, the late, great James Honeymon-Scott of The Pretenders e.g. Kid
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26956
    Deadman said:

Bang on.

The funny noises, swirly picking and explosive distorty bits are Greenwood. The hard bits are all Yorke. 

Take pretty much all of In Rainbows - all the good stuff is Yorke. Bodysnatchers (09:37) and House of Cards (25:40) are particularly excellent imo.

And this doesn't have spectacular guitar playing in it; it's just gorgeous.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I must also give a mention to Boon Gould of Level 42. He always did great song parts and solos.

The Solo in this is impressive too. I quite like it anyway, it's different.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited October 2013
    Mr Dunnery,  but everyone knows that anyway
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Kebabkid said:
    Almost forgot, the late, great James Honeymon-Scott of The Pretenders e.g. Kid
    he used to be a guitar shop assistant( somewhere in Gloucester I think) and my friend has a wah wah pedal he bought off him with the signed receipt.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Back On The Chain Gang is a song I've wanted to cover for a long time. Love the twangy guitar part.

I'd love to do Don't Get Me Wrong, too, but that one strikes me as a bit trickier to get the feel right.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    edited October 2013
    Back On The Chain Gang is a song I've wanted to cover for a long time. Love the twangy guitar part.

It's quite easy. Even I can play an approximation of it :). Although the tone-up key change at the end of the middle eight - which is my favourite in all recorded music, I think - makes it a bit harder.

But Honeyman-Scott didn't play it - Billy Bremner did. The song is actually about the death of Honeyman-Scott.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Didn't realise it wasn't Honeyman-Scott (I'm not too "up" on the Pretenders), I stand corrected.

No, it's not that it's a tricky song to play that stops me covering it, more that I've never been in a band yet where it was an appropriate addition to the setlist, that's all.
    Great tune though - one of those songs (and bands) I forget about completely until I hear them on the radio and am reminded what a great track it is.