Best non Metal classy guitar part in a Modern Metal song

I like it when you get a good metal song with a really classy guitar part in it!

Opeth are pretty good for that shit!

My favourite however is in Zombie Inc by In Flames

2:16 - 2:42

Day Of Endless Light by Daath also has a good jazz ish riff

2:55 - 3:05

Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I always like metal music, but I really can't get into shouty, screamy or growly vocals. Not sure I'd refer to them as 'classy' guitar bits personally! I'd have to listen to the tracks a few times to really form an opinion but ....... can't get past the singing! I guess I've gone soft in my old age.

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited October 2013
    Between the Buried and Me are very much a metal band but this song isn't very metally at all so I'm not sure it counts... it does have a lovely guitar part though, some gorgeous chords. Kind of reminds me of Radiohead in places. Sung not screamed, awesome bass part too.

Also, Periphery - they have their heavy bits but there are lots of clean and melodic parts too, which are great:

The entire last half of this is just stunning, amazing vocals and a ridiculous solo as well as some nice clean bits.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    axisus said:   I always like metal music, but I really can't get into shouty, screamy or growly vocals..... can't get past the singing! I guess I've gone soft in my old age.
    Not that I feel old, there is just some geezer staring back at me from the mirror.

I have to concur with @axisus.

Love the music, love the energy, and there are some brilliant guitar parts and playing.
    Great separation in the mix on the In Flames track BTW.

But I just don't get the shouty vocals, often resolving into very a melodic chorus with harmonies, what is that about?.

Periphery is excellent, but for that, and some brilliant & exquisite guitar work too. (The entire last half of this is just stunning- agreed)

Humour me and please explain where this style has come from.  I have been out of the music business for ages, so I think I must have missed it happening.  No offence, but it seems to me like metals reply to raps angry disillusionment, a little gratuitous, and there for styles own sake.  It certainly doesn't create a point of difference between performers as one vocalists angry growl sounds much like any other, not much room for nuance or individualism.  And life is enough of a head-fuck without all that IMHO.

I can see why it is infectious, it creates energy, and elicits a following.  Vocalists often seemed the weakest point in many bands.  But I'm just not getting something, maybe it's just an age thing after all.  Every generation wants to be seen as different and individual after all.  Help create a little understanding please @Bucket and Antique_Guitars.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    Humour me and please explain where this style has come from.  I have been out of the music business for ages, so I think I must have missed it happening.  

1) No offence, but it seems to me like metals reply to raps angry disillusionment, a little gratuitous, and there for styles own sake.

2) It certainly doesn't create a point of difference between performers as one vocalists angry growl sounds much like any other, not much room for nuance or individualism.  And life is enough of a head-fuck without all that IMHO.

I can see why it is infectious, it creates energy, and elicits a following.  Vocalists often seemed the weakest point in many bands.  But I'm just not getting something, maybe it's just an age thing after all.  Every generation wants to be seen as different and individual after all.  Help create a little understanding please @Bucket and Antique_Guitars.

I'll stick my big oar in here. To begin with (and this isn't directed at @ChrisMusic or Axisus) I'm not sure why the whole harsh vocal style has to keep justifying itsself. It's been around at least 30 years now, if it was a fad, phase or some kind of rebellion it would've died a death by now. Anyway!

I think the style has come from natural progression. Music, specifically Rock, had been getting progressively darker, with the vocals getting raspier too. I don't think it had anything to do with Rap or Hip Hop.

As for 1), I resent that comment a little. It's just a different kind of vocal. I don't think distorted guitar is there for style's own sake, same as harsh vocals. 2), there are numerous types of harsh vocal too, which you'd know if you listened to more of this style of music (and it's fine that you don't, btw). Admittedly there are swarms of bands who use generic cookie monster vocals too! It sounds to me that you're letting your dislike of the style cloud your judgement.

I hated harsh vocals for a long time, but I started to pay attention to the songs as whole compositions, and to see the vocals less prominently than they are in most other genres of music. Once you stop trying to compare them to clean vocals, you can judge them on their own merits. Obviously a lot of it is aggressive, but there are a few bands who use the vocal style a bit more melodically. Here's one of my favourites;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns9_A3CKqPM

I may or may not have changed your mind - we all have different tastes! - but just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's without merit :)

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Can you imagine this track with any style of vocals other than the screaming?

I think of it as the most natural and fitting vocal style for this form of music - normal sung vocals just wouldn't get the point across in the same way, I don't think. Doesn't mean you have to like it, obviously. I didn't at first... I still don't in many cases, but I can live with it to the extent that it doesn't spoil the music for me. I must say, the bits of Periphery I most enjoy are the ones with singing - Spencer is a pretty good growler but he is a properly fantastic singer.

Speaking of which - more often than you'd expect, screamers are really good singers too. Witness Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth:

I would argue that there are very tangible differences between angry growls, it just comes with listening to it - because you're not a fan, you probably haven't spent too much time trying to distinguish between them, but as I've been listening to it for a while I can certainly tell the difference between, say, Jeff Walker from Carcass and Chuck Schuldiner from Death - and I dare say you could play me an isolated vocal track from a Behemoth, Black Dahlia Murder or Faceless (etc etc) record and I'd be able to recognise it from the style of the growl.

As Bidley says, this is hardly a new thing - harsh vocals have been around since the earliest thrash and death metal bands, most of whom came around in the very early 80s. It's only now that bands such as Bring Me the Horizon (whose vocalist, Oli Sykes, is a truly sod-awful screamer IMO) have made the style even halfway acceptable in mainstream music.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."