More Pacifica Pimpage...

What's Hot
Echoing @Niallmo in his original thread, I've also done some work on my Pacifica this weekend.

The original plan was to make it HSH as the routing allows for this, but the new scratchplate I ordered just wouldn't go near the guitar in terms of control plate alignment etc.

So, as the existing HB was shite, I binned it in favour of the old bridge unit from my Epi SG. Whilst I had the guitar in bits, I also put a couple of speed knobs on, as is my preference in general. The HB now has a lot more oomph behind it and even though it's not a 4 conductor, the in betweeny position still sounds Stratty enough.

The other thing that was obvious on dismantling the innards, was that despite the age of the guitar, you can still see the quality of these Pacificas from the tidiness of the construction and wiring, as well as the lovely solid alder bodies...

I reckon the covered HB lends it a classy look as well, even though the body is battered.

Before:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/MattD252/IMGP0191.jpg

After:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/MattD252/Mobile Uploads/20150125_185732.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/MattD252/Mobile Uploads/20150125_185745.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I feel robbed regarding these Pacifica's. I know they are really really good guitars. But they've got wee necks. Thus no good me having one. Not fair :(
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272;493326" said:
    I feel robbed regarding these Pacifica's. I know they are really really good guitars. But they've got wee necks. Thus no good me having one. Not fair :(
    Funny that, because I don't mind that so much - I can also put up with the narrow nut width to a point as well.

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Where did I put it?
    Oh, here:
    Basically pacifica + speed knobs = automatic cool. I originally started messing with it to get a split coil bridge (mine is an old 112 that didn't have it), so the bridge is an irongear hot slag. The neck pickup is actually now a irongear jailhouse rails (old picture) and there's some funky push-pull switching to allow all pickups and split coil operation.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @imalone That's nice, chief. I just prefer speed knobs from a playing point of view. They don't always look great but I think they do on these Pacificas. Whether I'll keep the Epi pup I don't know, as I originally wanted to make it an HSH guitar. I think I'll be hard pressed to find the right scratch plate though...
    @imalone That's nice, chief. I just prefer speed knobs from a playing point of view. They don't always look great but I think they do on these Pacificas. Whether I'll keep the Epi pup I don't know, as I originally wanted to make it an HSH guitar. I think I'll be hard pressed to find the right scratch plate though...
    Thanks! If you can get the measurements there are probably a few people who can do a custom plate for you for not too much. Those speed knobs are actually ones axetec do with a rubber ring on to make it easier to use a push-pull, it was that or go for the knurled metal that's on later pacificas, but I don't like the feel of those as much.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    jd0272;493326" said:
    As ever Jase, completely agree. I reckon I could even overlook the skinny back profile if the nut wasn't so fecking cramped
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    DrBob said:
    jd0272;493326" said:
    As ever Jase, completely agree. I reckon I could even overlook the skinny back profile if the nut wasn't so fecking cramped

The width I could forgive, but I need some ooomph on the profile. It does genuinely piss me off though, rep's as superb guitars especially the 600 series, and I'm being done over and segregated!!!!!!!!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    Get one of these and then cut the neck slot for a humbucker? http://www.guitarselectric.co.uk/product/yamaha_hss_scratch_plate