Tele neck in strat pocket - easiest to modify??

What's Hot
I have a Joe Trohmann tele neck (square end) and a telecaster deluxe body (strat pocket). What's the wisdom on the easiest to modify? Is it file the tele neck round, or chisel the body (and scratchplate) square. I have fairly good woodwork skills, and chisels,saws and lots of sandpaper!! Any shaping templates on the web to help guide my chiselling?
Karma......
Ebay mark7777_1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    I would shape the end of the neck, leaving the fingerboard as an overhang with just enough clearance for the pickguard to go under it - which will avoid any visual oddness, and mean that you could still put the neck on a normal Tele body if you ever want to.

I would take a rubbing of the end of the pocket using a piece of masking tape, transfer that to the underside of the heel and work to that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    Thanks @ICBM, great tip on the masking tape! The total neck length is correct isn't it, just needs the corners radiusing.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    The total neck length is correct isn't it, just needs the corners radiusing.
    Yes, it should be.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought a Tele neck fitted into a strat pocket, but with a gap - and would intonate fine - but a strat neck won't fit a Tele body.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    TPD I think it's the other way round ! At least I hope so! The neck holes don't quite line up on mine - hence radiusing the neck should sort that out.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mark is correct, or should be if the necks are made to the Fender sizes.

Both pockets are the same length and the screw holes are in the same positions relative to the outer end, so it's the Strat neck which is smaller.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3005
    In my bitsa madness I did go through a phase of only buying 22 fret Strat necks because you could use them on either Strat or Tele & the 22nd fret on the overhang covered the little gaps in the corners if you stuck it in a Tele body
  • I take it back! Knew it was one or the other. Silly me :) facepalms anyone?