Les Paul tone knobs

What's Hot

Comments

• No, just can't believe I've gone from slightly wobbly knobs to 'neck might not be on straight'. I'm losing the will.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11812
    No, just can't believe I've gone from slightly wobbly knobs to 'neck might not be on straight'. I'm losing the will.
    You still have plenty of time to return it and there are plenty of Les Paul out there. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    No, just can't believe I've gone from slightly wobbly knobs to 'neck might not be on straight'. I'm losing the will.

Based on what @ICBM posted?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    It's heartbreaking to watch this after the build up to finally buying it :(
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited January 2015
    gearaddict;496787" said:
    I'm pretty certain the neck is fine to be honest, sometimes forums can strike the fear of God in to you over nothing.

I'm sure if the neck was off the guitar would have been horrible to play, and you'd have know something was wrong even if you didn't know what. You've said a few times that it's nice to place.

Put down the forum for 5 minutes, slacken strings and drop the bridge down (and making both sides level) and go from there. Honest man you weren't worried about neck angles or anything else a couple of hours ago. You just wanted the knobs on straight (ooo eerrr) and the action lowered, so I'd getting on with sorting the action to your taste.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    That's why you have to make sure the set-up is not wildly wrong, which it could be. But if it isn't - and to be honest, the action on the bass side does not look unusually high, and the action on the treble side can't be too low or it would be rattling and choking - then there's something wrong. The bridge should not be, or need to be, so far off level as that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    underdog said:
    gearaddict;496787" said:
    I'm pretty certain the neck is fine to be honest, sometimes forums can strike the fear of God in to you over nothing.

I'm sure if the neck was off the guitar would have been horrible to play, and you'd have know something was wrong even if you didn't know what. You've said a few times that it's nice to place.

Put down the forum for 5 minutes, slacken strings and drop the bridge down (and making both sides level) and go from there. Honest man you weren't worried about neck angles or anything else a couple of hours ago. You just wanted the knobs on straight (ooo eerrr) and the action lowered, so I'd getting on with sorting the action to your taste.
    Follow this advice. Adjust both sides of the bridge so that both the high and low Es are just touching the last fret, then post pics of both sides of the bridge. There may not be anything wrong with the guitar at all...
  • Maynehead said:
    Follow this advice. Adjust both sides of the bridge so that both the high and low Es are just touching the last fret, then post pics of both sides of the bridge. There may not be anything wrong with the guitar at all...
    As suggested:

That's much better, now lower the tail piece?
    Excellent, it's beginning to look like a ridiculously bad set-up. Not exactly ideal on a two grand guitar but certainly the lesser of the two evils!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah...dropped the bridge and now it is at an action I like and looking much more reasonable...but...I think one of the min-Etune tuners is broken. Yes, really.

The battery was on red - charging it now...but the high E tuner isn't turning at all, even by hand.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited January 2015
    Yeah...dropped the bridge and now it is at an action I like and looking much more reasonable...but...I think one of the min-Etune tuners is broken. Yes, really.

The battery was on red - charging it now...but the high E tuner isn't turning at all, even by hand.
    Doh!

Just as I breath a sigh of relief....

Let's hope it's something simple.

EDIT: here's someone with a similar problem.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    not_the_dj;496797" said:
    It's heartbreaking to watch this after the build up to finally buying it :(
    It is, especially the internet fearmongering over Gibson neck angles, the trauma of having to pull a couple of knobs off and reseat them, and (gasp) having to adjust the bridge half a turn, and the slightly depressing feeling that the OP is not really that keen on the guitar anyway.

It all seems a bit of a shame and a waste of time around what what would be a dream come true to many people.

So to sound so miserable, but this guitar could be a once in a lifetime game changing musical instrument for someone, rather than just something for a load of jaded collectors to poke and sneer at.

Send the fucker back, please.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Gibson's famous quality control struck again I guess.

Badly set up out of the factory, wonky knobs but not sure you can blame them on the e-tune, don't they outsource those?

Anyway, this one is cursed.  The broker e-tune is enough a reason to send it back.  OP didn't like the top at first anyway so lets call this lesson learn in Gibson.  Now that the e-tune is broken, so free shipping back as opposed to a fee so it could be a blessing in disguise.

edited January 2015
    p90fool said:
    It is, especially the internet fearmongering over Gibson neck angles, the trauma of having to pull a couple of knobs off and reseat them, and (gasp) having to adjust the bridge half a turn, and the slightly depressing feeling that the OP is not really that keen on the guitar anyway. 

It all seems a bit of a shame and a waste of time around what what would be a dream come true to many people. 

So to sound so miserable, but this guitar could be a once in a lifetime game changing musical instrument for someone, rather than just something for a load of jaded collectors to poke and sneer at.
    I am not a collector. The reasons I've commented on this are because a two grand guitar should not have issues like this out of the box, and they're of a practical nature. (Apart from the knobs.)

Gibson *do* have a problem with variable neck angles, and even if this one turns out to have been more down to a poor set-up that's still not really acceptable at this price point. The height and angle of the tailpiece and bridge were ludicrous for a guitar which has supposedly been set up by professionals.

It's actually the exact opposite of what you're suggesting - a collector could just hang it on the wall and look at it as it is. If it's to be a life-changing musical instrument for someone then it needs to play properly and work reliably.

I like the look of it, a lot - but if the owner doesn't and it's not the one that was advertised then there is also an issue. Personally, if I'd ordered this one and the one in the pic had arrived, it would have gone straight back without even trying it.

I love Gibson guitars - good ones. I own two, and could be looking for another one. But if the company and its dealers are allowed to get away with things like this then there will always be an issue with ordering one unseen, and at the price they are there is really no excuse for that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2015
    RaymondLin;497173" said:
    Gibson's famous quality control struck again I guess.Badly set up out of the factory, wonky knobs but not sure you can blame them on the e-tune, don't they outsource those?Anyway, this one is cursed.  The broker e-tune is enough a reason to send it back.  OP didn't like the top at first anyway so lets call this lesson learn in Gibson.  Now that the e-tune is broken, so free shipping back as opposed to a fee so it could be a blessing in disguise.
    I wouldn't say it's a lesson learned in Gibson, I'd say it's about having the courage of your convictions. The tuner going is an issue, but one they'd probably just post the replacement parts to fix, the rest, well there wasn't an issue. It needed a set up, which on a TOM bridge is about as easy as it can get imo, and the knobs weren't flat.

This is where you decide if the money saving of buying from a box shift like thomann was worth the saving over buying from a shop who could have set it up before you'd taken it home. If I remember right the OP saved over £400 so I think it was.

Its already been said that the guitar plays lovely and sounds it too. This isn't a Gibson issue as such to me it seems like someone wanting to love a guitar they aren't 100% about and then on mass fear mongering by others about issues the guitar doesn't have.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    underdog said:
    RaymondLin;497173" said:
    Gibson's famous quality control struck again I guess.Badly set up out of the factory, wonky knobs but not sure you can blame them on the e-tune, don't they outsource those?Anyway, this one is cursed.  The broker e-tune is enough a reason to send it back.  OP didn't like the top at first anyway so lets call this lesson learn in Gibson.  Now that the e-tune is broken, so free shipping back as opposed to a fee so it could be a blessing in disguise.
    I wouldn't say it's a lesson learned in Gibson, I'd say it's about having the courage of your convictions. The tuner going is an issue, but one they'd probably just post the replacement parts to fix, the rest, well there wasn't an issue. It needed a set up, which on a TOM bridge is about as easy as it can get imo, and the knobs weren't flat.

This is where you decide if the money saving of buying from a box shift like thomann was worth the saving over buying from a shop who could have set it up before you'd taken it home. If I remember right the OP saved over £400 so I think it was.

Its already been said that the guitar plays lovely and sounds it too. This isn't a Gibson issue as such to me it seems like someone wanting to love a guitar they aren't 100% about and then on mass fear mongering by others about issues the guitar doesn't have.

The lesson with Gibson is ordering one unseen, or that one shouldn't do.  You can do that with PRS, Taylor and even Fender but never a Gibson.  I cannot fathom a guitar would even come out of a PRS factory set up like that, not even an SE.  A £2k instrument should come out all set up out of the box, perhaps getting it in tune and that't about it.  One may argue the action may need adjusting to taste but the way he had it was way out of wack.  Sure you can fix it yourself but that isn't the point, the point is you shouldn't have to.  There is no excuses for it, that's the job of the guy at the end who does quality control and checking.

I think a used Gibson is the way to go, at least they have been bought already, so the bad ones have been filtered out and sent back and the first customer has done the quality control on your behalf.  Hopefully he or she picked out a nice one in person to begin with already even.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    ICBM said:
    I am not a collector.
    I'm aware of that, and I'm sorry if it sounded like a personal dig, I'm a little grouchy this morning.

I guess what I'm hinting at is that Western Hemisphere guitar forum elephant-in-the-room, First world Problems.

I know we're never supposed to mention this or our whole edifice will come crashing down, but sometimes I think what three quarters of the world's population would think of this guitar and what it would mean to them to make music on it, and all we can do is poke it with our toes, mutter about having to spend ten seconds lowering a bridge and generally seem mind-bogglingly ungrateful for the luxurious choices we find ourselves with.

In short, he bought it, he doesn't really like it, and wants everyone to join in with a chorus of Louis IV-style contemptuous powdered wig shaking.

I'm sorry, I just can't.

:/
    edited January 2015
    RaymondLin;497207" said:
    underdog said:

RaymondLin;497173" said:Gibson's famous quality control struck again I guess.Badly set up out of the factory, wonky knobs but not sure you can blame them on the e-tune, don't they outsource those?Anyway, this one is cursed.  The broker e-tune is enough a reason to send it back.  OP didn't like the top at first anyway so lets call this lesson learn in Gibson.  Now that the e-tune is broken, so free shipping back as opposed to a fee so it could be a blessing in disguise.

The lesson with Gibson is ordering one unseen, or that one shouldn't do.  You can do that with PRS, Taylor and even Fender but never a Gibson.  I cannot fathom a guitar would even come out of a PRS factory set up like that, not even an SE.  A £2k instrument should come out all set up out of the box, perhaps getting it in tune and that't about it.  One may argue the action may need adjusting to taste but the way he had it was way out of wack.  Sure you can fix it yourself but that isn't the point, the point is you shouldn't have to.  There is no excuses for it, that's the job of the guy at the end who does quality control and checking.I think a used Gibson is the way to go, at least they have been bought already, so the bad ones have been filtered out and sent back and the first customer has done the quality control on your behalf.  Hopefully he or she picked out a nice one in person to begin with already even.
    I don't agree at all. When buying blind you always run the risk on how it looks compared to photos, how it feels or sounds, but this isn't a Gibson issue, that's a blind buying issue.

Almost every guitar I've ever bought has been a terrible set up, that includes fenders with saddles set at random hights or with terribly cut nuts etc. I just don't see the difference screwing down a bridge makes, it's a 2 minute job, the bridge was attached, it was straight and undamaged, the QC guy probably covered his duties there.

What the OP had to do was an adjustment, not a fix, I don't see it as a fault. I've bought 2 Les Paul's blind and both are fantastic, and a Gibson 335 the same, and an LPJ.

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    It amazes me some people would accept a setup like that on a gibson because they have mojo and soul but if a Prs sc58 was posted with that kind of setup you wouldn't hear the end of it.