Anyone mixing on iPad beware ios7

What's Hot
Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
Just a quick heads up if you've gone over to ios7 but haven't done a gig since, make sure the iPad can still communicate with the desk as there's a few issues. Last night the Ipad couldn't communicate with the Mackie 1608 which is a big prob with that rig as you can't do anything until it does. Reinstalling the Ap did the trick but it's not the kind of thing you want to have to do there and then. Allan and Heaths QU16 iPad ap (released finally and already updated) seems ok and so does the Presonus but worth checking before you get to the gig
www.2020studios.co.uk 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This is what frightens me about the integration of ipads and desks, our market just isn't big enough for the likes of Apple etc to take seriously so when they decide enough is enough we're baulked
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    edited October 2013
    maltingsaudio;47652" said:
    This is what frightens mrre about the integration of ipads and desks, our market just isn't big enough for the likes of Apple etc to take seriously so when they decide enough is enough we're baulked
    Exactly this. If I buy a mixer, effects processor etc I know that regardless of tech changing I can reasonably expect it to have a long working life doing what it was built to. These units built to insert or be controlled by an iPad will be useless in a few years. Tablet tech will move swiftly on and the hardware will cease to be supported and become more and more difficult to fix or replace.

I love the possibilities opened up by using tablets and smartphones to control our gear but I'd never spend serious money on something that was completely dependent on it to function.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Surely you just have the same working life expectancy with the iPad route.  It's just that you are then reliant on two pieces of kit that both need to be functional simultaneously.  If they become unsupported you just freeze the functionality at that point, just like any other piece of hardware, or integrated hardware / software combination if it becomes unsupported or the manufacturer goes down.  Same issues over maintenance too I think.

Unsupported software upgrades that are hard or impossible to reverse make the whole OS and app environment a potential nightmare though.

Or have I missed something?

• Surely you just have the same working life expectancy with the iPad route.  It's just that you are then reliant on two pieces of kit that both need to be functional simultaneously.  If they become unsupported you just freeze the functionality at that point, just like any other piece of hardware, or integrated hardware / software combination if it becomes unsupported or the manufacturer goes down.  Same issues over maintenance too I think.

Unsupported software upgrades that are hard or impossible to reverse make the whole OS and app environment a potential nightmare though.

Or have I missed something?
    Well, the point is that in order to maintain support on the iPad (and be able to do anything else with it), you have to keep up with the iOS releases. When those iOS releases imply a breaking change with respect to the desk (in this example), you don't have much of a choice but to freeze your iDevice at that point or lose the functionality of your desk.

The next point of change is when new iDevices no longer support the older version of the operating system that your desk requires. Given that these are consumer devices which have a high send-it-to-the-landfill rate when they're broken or new models come out...hen this happens, you have two choices:

1 - Pray that yours never breaks
    2 - Buy as many of the iDevices of the correct generation (with the right software) as you think you're going to need for the lifetime of the desk itself.

Here's the thing: many people have desks from 30 years ago which are still working. However, you'll likely reach the second point above within about 5 or 6 years with desks that rely on iDevice connections to work.
    <space for hire>
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402

Well with most desks like the Yam LS9, A+H QU16 etc the iPad offers a great wireless mix system. If the iPad dies the desk is still fine, you just can't mix remotely.  What screws you with the Mackie DL1608 is it completely depends on the iPad for all it's control, as in no working iPad no mixing ..... cos all the hardware has is 16 gain controls, nothing else at all!

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • From what I heard recently some engineers, only use the gains ! ;)
  • From what I heard recently some engineers, only use the gains ! ;)
    In an ideal world the correct mics, correct sound system  and great musicians that shoud be all you need 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • RoasterRoaster Frets: 18
    edited October 2013
    Mackie seem to be on top of some of these hardware changes so far, take the point about future software releases and we have already thought about buying a SH Gen1 or Gen2 to use rather than keep using mine. We are a 4 piece covers band and I have to say the DL mixer has been a revelation, not least for its portability where all the gear goes in 4 cars. Our sound has also been transformed after previously having a Mixwizard 16:2 and a host of rack processors.All good so far, guess we will have to take our chances with the future proofing. BTW had no issues with the os7 update on my ipad2