MXR M80 alternatives

tbmtbm Frets: 579
My trusty MXR M80 Bass DI is about to breath it's last. I've had it fixed craploads of times but I think it's just dying now. I''m tempted to go out and get another one as I've grown to love the gnarly distirtion I get out of it, but before I do are there alternatives beyond the Sansamp? I like the MXRs two channels, which the basic Sansamp doesn't have. What else should I be looking at?

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    The Zoom B3.
    DI out, tuner, decent amp models and fx, if you want them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    +1 on the Zoom.

Did the switches break on the MXR? I've got a Distortion III here like that… the latest in a long line. Crap switches! The Zoom has 'soft' switches so far less likely to break.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• tbmtbm Frets: 579
    No, the input and output sockets seem to crap out all the time. I have the output replaced on three occasions.

Just seem theres a new compact MXR bass preamp that looks very nice.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    Zoom make a compact bass pedal too as part of their MS range.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    tbm said:
    No, the input and output sockets seem to crap out all the time. I have the output replaced on three occasions.

Just seem theres a new compact MXR bass preamp that looks very nice.
    Are you using it 'loose', so the cables get tugged a lot as well as plugging and unplugging? A lot of modern pedal jacks don't seem to like that.

I have my Zoom B3 mounted on a pedalboard with a patch box to connect it now, exactly because of that - I don't want to have to replace a jack on the PCB. Even though the pedalboard now consists of nothing but the B3, a power supply and the patch box and is at least double the size it needs to be… (I had it anyway.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    I'm selling a 3 channel Sansamp bass DI programmable. I took it in as a trade, it really is as new with the box and all the bits. They are £225 new. About £175 delivered any good to you?
  • The Hartke Bass Attack is pretty sweet. I like mine.

I sold my BDDI because the lack of a mid control annoyed me.

The DHA valve-eq-di-thingymabob also sounds great. The headphone out on it is pants though.
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    I see Eden have a Bass Di thats pretty cheap. Anyone tried that? No second channel though.
    I'm selling a 3 channel Sansamp bass DI programmable. I took it in as a trade, it really is as new with the box and all the bits. They are £225 new. About £175 delivered any good to you?
    Maybe, let me think on it. I might have to try and shift some stuff. Ta.