Low-gain Overdrives: 4 Pedal Review (long post alert)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I've just got a Rockbox Boiling Point. 

The hunt continues :D
    Ooh, have wanted to try one of them for a while, how you getting on with it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17552
    tFB Trader
    Haven't really tried it yet. 

Just collected it from @handsomerik this afternoon. 

I'll give you a shout if I don't get on with it.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited November 2013
    I've just replaced my Liquid Sunshine with a Zendrive. All the things you wanted in your description of your LS improvements D, the Zendrive does. It stacks incredibly well too with my other ODs, but my dilemma is where to place it in the chain as it sounds great in a couple of places. My one's a 2008 but I've no idea what the new, remarketed ones sold by Andertons are like
  • Dindude,

I've been trading a lot in the past few weeks, and tried a couple with the Sportsman. The most successful and best sounding have been;

Fulltone Plimsoul - adds that power and bump to the sweet 6v6 cleans

Okko Diablo - believe the hype. Stunning OD. Honeymoon at the moment, but this could possibly replace ALL that has gone before it. From great clean boosts to raunch, incredible.

@wazmeister

Cheers for that, I've had a Plimsoul before, and agree it is a great pedal for thick leads, but ultimately my LGW beat it to that spot.

I'm still liking the Gain Changer, although maybe it's a little too compressed to be a great stacker.

Also trying a Rockett Blue Note at the moment, which is very nice for a transparent type OD.

Keep coming back to my Joyo Sweet Baby as well, it's got a really nice voice and attack - I must try a SHOD soon.

Never seen the Diablo, looks interesting......

• Had a Blue Note for a long while - one of the few overdrives that sounds unique to me,
    and I kinda miss mine.

Okko Diablo just sits nice with me.
    Had the Rockett blue note about a week but haven't really had chance to use it in anger, so had a nice long play with it throughout today and have managed some stunning sounds out if it.

Does a really great Stonesy light break up to a clean fender tone, really nice bluesy neck pickup tones and is definitely the best stacker with my LGW so far.

Best of all, it really retains the response and dynamics of the amp.

The controls and the hot switch are really well judged too, with just enough control to dial in with different guitars.

Very impressed with this pedal so far..........
  • Have my first LS on the way thanks to @Travisthedog - looking forward to seeing how it'll interact with a klone & zen drive :))
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33779
    You're all mad!
    @octatonic - I think you've wandered into overdrives anonymous by mistake. If you haven't got a problem you really shouldn't be here, it's not pretty ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17552
    tFB Trader

octatonic said:
    You're all mad!
    You're a pretty big gear head though. 

Not an OD pedal fan?
  • Dindude,

You inspired (Gas'ed ?) me to get a LGW - bought the HW Version.

Yep, you're right - pretty damn good

Cool. Mines the HW too, my only tip is not to get too stuck on one position with the body knob, I'm still experimenting with it a year later and each guitar or stacked pedal combo brings new options.

It's a great pedal.