Slipping strings!!

My Admira classical has a wooden bridge that has apparently been lacquered and then polished  so that it is very difficult to get the nylon strings to bite despite 5-6 turns and locking them off.

I have been thinking about rubbing down the particular section of bridge to try and allow the strings to get a grip!!

What would be the best stuff  to do this with.

I've only got 80grit sandpaper to hand and  I reckon that's a bit too much.

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Nail File?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    You could put a knot at the end of the strings.Don't know if this would cure it though.
    I'd try it before attacking it with sandpaper.
  • I've only posted on here twice but the last time was to mention ball-ended nylon strings. Could be an option if you don't want to mess up the finish on your guitar.
  • Restringing a nylon string guitar is a royal PITA, in my experience.

When I do mine (which is as infrequently as I can get away with!) I 'lock' the knot with a dab of super glue and let it dry before tuning the string up to full concert pitch.

It might be worth a go.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    edited February 2015
    Sassafras said:
    You could put a knot at the end of the strings.Don't know if this would cure it though.
    Yes it will. Tie a small knot in the string about half an inch from the end before you fit it, and it won't be able to pull through the lock wrap. Simples :).

Restringing a nylon string guitar is a royal PITA, in my experience.

When I do mine (which is as infrequently as I can get away with!) I 'lock' the knot with a dab of super glue and let it dry before tuning the string up to full concert pitch.

I curse you with every fibre of my being :).

Restringing a guitar that someone else has already done that to is a royal-er pain in the arse :D.

Though marginally less annoying than finding the pins glued in on a steel-string, I admit…

Like anything like this (Bigsbys spring to mind!) restringing a classical is a piece of cake once you get practiced at it. I accept that working for many years in a large 'general music' shop which sold a huge number of cheap classicals does help with that ;).

The only real problem is explaining to the customer that no, the strings are not faulty if the guitar is out of tune once you get home and no, you cannot bring it back!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein