Takamine F250SM - ARRIVED! Pics attached

What's Hot
TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
edited February 2015 in Acoustics
I've been contemplating getting an acoustic guitar for a little while and then yesterday Mrs R agreed she'd get me one for my "special" birthday this year (50 - gulp!) :) I've set a budget of around £800 - which she's happy with :) :)

Having a look around there's a heck of a lot of choice - it's a mine field out there!

I decided the "jumbo" body shape and looked at the Guild F150RCE, but went off it when I found it was made in China. Now you can call me a snob and tell me to stop being so stupid, but I think £800 is a lot of money to spend on a Chinese guitar. It's irrational I know because there is a lot of quality stuff made in China these days, but it just doesn't feel right...

Then I came across the Takamine F250SM for a decent price and although is a different beast to the Guild (no cutaway and no electrics) it looks like a lovely guitar for the money. I have a mate who's got a Japanese Takamine (not sure which model) and it's a lovely thing to play - a nice narrow neck, which is great - especially since I'm used to playing slim- necked electrics.

Does anybody have an opinion on said guitar? Or have any suggestions for others I could take a look at?

I did originally want an electro acoustic with a cutaway but having real thought about it I don't really need either as it will be a purely "at home" guitar.
We are all Chameleons...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I can't comment on that particular model but I bought a 12 string takamine a while ago and I'm very pleased I did.
    It's very well made,plays beautifully and sounds amazing.
    I've had quite a few 12 strings and this is undoubtedly my favourite.
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    edited January 2015
    I've got a Takamine EG serise - kinda entry level but a whole lot of guitar for the price. I would peg them at delivering great value.

• Well it's maple bodied so it will have a particular sound. Something like the Takamine P1JC (cedar/sapele) would be more my cup of tea but maybe not yours...

Japanese Takamine quality is excellent so no worries on that score.

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Thanks for the positive responses about the Takamine brand - that's reassuring to hear.

I doubt the particular guitar I've been looking at will be around for long - so I've told Mrs R to go ahead and get it ordered! :O

It's not my birthday until July, so it'll have to go away until then, but at least I'll have it to look forward to. :)

Hopefully she'll let me take a couple of snaps of it that I can post on here before it gets put away!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Im with you on the China thing, sold my Guild for that reason, shallow I know!
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

My first acoustic was a Takamine cedar top dred and I've still got it, wouldn't part with it for the world.

edited February 2019
    Mrs R managed to bag the Takamine F250SM ffrom Thomann and it looks like it was the last one too!

We are all Chameleons...
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    Always well built things Takamine's, you wont be disappointed I reckon. I've had mine for years and the sound just gets better and better with age and playing in. Happy new Tak day.
    edited February 2015
    boogieman said:
    Happy new Tak day.
    Thanks @boogieman!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Takamine (the Japanese ones) are truly brilliant, I gigged one weekly for 10 years, im now a huge Guild fan, and totally agree about the made in China ones, IMHO they're not real guilds, but please don't forget 2nd hand you can get a USA guild for 800 and I feel they rival any other make for tone and playability, plus they have never had a bad period unlike the other 2 big brands.
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148
    There are a couple of gibsons just about at that price - j15 and j35, if you take advantage of the euro and buy from thomman. I *really* fancy the look of the j35...
    Well the Takamine F250SM arrived today - thanks Thomann ;)

Mrs R allowed me a brief 10 minute go :) (and chance to get some pics) before she puts it away until my 50th in July.

First impressions are it's a lovely guitar with a beautiful tone and nice narrow neck, which will help after playing mostly electrics all my life.

Here are the photos I took: :)

:)
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good man! Takamines are great, it should be a guitar for life.

Make sure you take more pics in July! :)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Wow beautiful.
  • I am a huge Takamine fan. I have an old 261SAN - been with me since 1998 and it's been played and played. Your guitar looks stuning and I am sure will give massive amounts of enjoyment!

Have fun :)
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    Lovely looking guitar!

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    You're in for a treat if you've been playing mostly electrics.
    Takamines are usually excellently made guitars in my experience.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Well done, beautiful guitars! The tone will get better with age,
  • You're really gonna put in its case and just leave it there for 4 months!?
  • Seriously?? Till July?? That is harsh!*

*Bet you get it out and have a quick play when you know she's out and won't be back for a while.
    :|
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.