SG 600-VI

What's Hot
enteeentee Frets: 93
edited February 2015 in Making & Modding
Well it's arrived safe and sound.  I'll take photos over the weekend but first impressions are actually pretty good.
Only problem, if you can call it that, is that the input jack was loose; no great drama.
Neck feels nice and smooth, and is sitting at 2mm at the 12th fret with no fret buzz.  The pickups aren't my taste to be honest - a bit woolly and all positions sound pretty much the same - not even sure how they are wired up yet, but will investigate behind the cover soon.
She weighs in at 7.0lbs and feels comfortable standing and sitting.
That's it for now, but I am happy, and plans are in development...
Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Pics required!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    Photos as requested...
    As it arrived - image

At the 12th fret - 2mm - image

Weighing in at 7lbs - image

Rear of headstock - tuners seem to be holding tune well - image

Haven't found a mark on it - looking forward to getting behind this cover and starting a fresh - image

The pickups will go (not my style of sound at all), as will the controls.  Haven't decided if I am capable enough to repaint the whole thing but we'll see - image

Progress will be slow, but I'll keep this updated when there is anything to post
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Looks good
  • Looks very good!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3900
    I like that a lot.
  • she looks a beauty. have you any ideas what you gonna mod about it?
    I am in 'discussion' about the pickup situation  :)  I'd like something different so there may be a combination of humbuckers all being split to give differing tones - the trouble will be wiring and switches, not my strong point  lol 
    It will have a new colour, probably blue with a twist too, if I can sort that out....  Something sparkly and shiny is what I would like.  Other than that, custom covers and controls, should finish it off...
  • Can't wait to see that! Sounds cool.
  • Have you looked at Guitar Fetish gold foils? I haven't heard them and can't vouch for them, but they certainly look the part and aren't that expensive. Maybe someone else on here has experience with them?
    I have used GFS pickups before in my Grestch - very good up to a point - changed them for custom P90s from Sonic Monkey in the end.  The idea at the moment is going slightly radical with regards to HBs - looking at multiple and splitting them all with mini switches if I can fit them in...   ;)
    Today is strip down day - fairly confident of where I will be going with this project now, so it was time to take it apart...

Bridge,tail piece, and guard off first

Next out with the tail bobbins (managed to chip the finish - but it'll be covered anyway)

Headstock next

and the front

Cavity space looks limited

Pickups out and can now see the space for cables etc, for the replacements

Pots and control knobs out and guitar is stripped ready for the next stage...

So there we are so far.  Colour scheme is pretty much decided, the scratchplate is being designed, electrics will be bought in next couple of weeks, and the complicated wiring system will no doubt make me throw the whole thing out the window, but it's going well SO FAR!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @entee Looking good so far. Where you the guy that was gonna go for marbled finish SG? I seem to remember reading on here about that a few weeks ago after challenge announced. Would love to try one of those in the summer when temps warm up for the bin full of paint! All the best.
    Not me my friend @JudasVigilante - going for an homage to my Nissan Skyline colour scheme, with some bling thrown in  ;)

Last night saw me filling the old tail piece holes, and where the original scratch-plate screw holes were.  I have started rubbing down the paint to give a key surface for filler/primer.  Once I have located and aligned the new tail piece, I will remove the posts, and final prep the body.

Next stage will be to mock up the pickups and where the controls/switches will sit, and design a new scratch-plate.  And of course design the wiring system - 3 on/on/on and 3 on/off switches should be fun!  I'll then dry assemble the guitar and check everything, before starting the primer, paint, and final fits.

Am really trying to rein in the impatience and take my time...

All the replacement electrics (switches and of course the pickups) have now turned up.  New tail piece has been rough fitted, so now it is time to design the wiring.  Sourcing some unusual control knobs and machine turners, and once i am settled with them, I can design the scratchplate...  I am loving this  :)
    More photos to follow later
    Here are a few pics, of the holes being filled - toothpicks are always handy for those small hard to reach spaces   lol.....

I'll get some more photos done, of the filled and rubbed back holes, and the rest of the progress so far, in next few days.  
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Coming on nicely dude :)

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• Wow, looking great mate. Really great work.
    Decisions, decisions - colour scheme sort of decided on, now the final twists; pinstripe it or not, that is the question.  Need to locate some mini switches and fill a couple more holes, then it's time for a complete rub down before primer....
    Well, I have mocked up some wiring, and it all works....after a fashion.  Lots of hums and clicks, so I am assuming there's an earth fault somewhere - not surprising with 3 on-on-on and 3 on-off switches, along with 3 volumes!  But it's progress  :)